Grease Monkey

Wash road effed up my paint.

I read what they ise that stuff for and one of the major uses is for snow and ice on roads. Does not make sense that it would rip the paint off of one vehicle, or that they would knowingly use something that could harm pain, knowing it would get thrown up on vehicles......

Kind of makes me wonder what combination of events happened to do this to the truck paint ..  

In any case, it sucks monkey balls.

1 hour ago, Bobalos said:

I read what they ise that stuff for and one of the major uses is for snow and ice on roads. Does not make sense that it would rip the paint off of one vehicle, or that they would knowingly use something that could harm pain, knowing it would get thrown up on vehicles......

Kind of makes me wonder what combination of events happened to do this to the truck paint ..  

In any case, it sucks monkey balls.

it does just like salt

All fixed up. Took all the soft rubbery undercoating off the frame and redid it. Got the clear coat to buff out and had a ceramic coating done. De badged the sides. And a complete concourse detail

Now off to Glamis to get it dirty.

:lol:

IMG_20200117_110330.jpg

IMG_20200117_110311.jpg

15792881306042196321005057460923.jpg

GM, truck looks great.  So, what is the best way to avoid this in the future?  Will the ceramic coat keep it from happening?  Wash the truck off ASAP? 

1 minute ago, kazuaki said:

GM, truck looks great.  So, what is the best way to avoid this in the future?  Will the ceramic coat keep it from happening?  Wash the truck off ASAP? 

Yes the ceramic coating will help but its not bullet proof or long lasting. Best would have been to wash it off. Hind sight, I could have went over to GDS and washed it off.

1 hour ago, Grease Monkey said:

De badged the sides. 

I debadged my old truck and when I sold it , buyer wanted to know if it was in a accident because of the lack of badges. I explained it to him, but he didn't get it.

1 hour ago, Grease Monkey said:

All fixed up. Took all the soft rubbery undercoating off the frame and redid it. Got the clear coat to buff out and had a ceramic coating done. De badged the sides. And a complete concourse detail

IMG_20200117_110330.jpg

IMG_20200117_110311.jpg

Way, Way better than a repaint. Good deal.

Go to 8:50.  SHBAF  :lol:

Glad you got that Jimmy dialed back in.

I had mine detailed and waxed last week. It all come off and it looks great again. 

I did wash all the mud off when I get back after Thanksgiving but really didn't  wash it. I think that's why it saved my paint. 

I'm sure your detail shop explained ceramic coatings to you, but you need to use their soap when you wash it otherwise you're applying a film that ends up creating a surface that isn't as slick as the ceramic coat. . I had my car coated a couple years ago. Paint correction and lifetime Ceramic Pro was almost $1500. For the first year or so I only needed to  rinse off and then blow dry most of the time  to get it looking perfect.  BTW, getting your wheels ceramic coated is worth its weight in gold. Brake dust literally hoses off. 

Edited by surf and dune

Badges???????? We don't need no stinkin Badges.....

10 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

I'm sure your detail shop explained ceramic coatings to you, but you need to use their soap when you wash it otherwise you're applying a film that ends up creating a surface that isn't as slick as the ceramic coat. . I had my car coated a couple years ago. Paint correction and lifetime Ceramic Pro was almost $1500. For the first year or so I only needed to  rinse off and then blow dry most of the time  to get it looking perfect.  BTW, getting your wheels ceramic coated is worth its weight in gold. Brake dust literally hoses off. 

Just had my truck ceramic coated this past weekend.  Exterior, interior, paint correction and like you said, wheels.  The entire truck is a mirror.  I knew there would be more to it in maintaining it.  He's setting me up with all the products and how to, to maintain it.  Doesn't sound bad at all, especially since I keep a vehicle for so long.

Well after the first wash and in the direct sunlight I've found some mud staining returning on the passenger front fender. Going back in tomorrow. Also the hood must have been done poorly as it's not an even coating nor completely done. Took a picture tonight while the hood had some dew on it. Need to show the shop this as explaining it was worthless. It's like they missed it with short arms and didn't polish the ceramic off completely.

IMG_20200127_184333.jpg

IMG_20200127_184327.jpg

Man that’s a bummer 

WTH?

Interested to hear how they explain that.

9 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

WTH?

Interested to hear how they explain that.

mini GIF

On 1/17/2020 at 11:09 AM, Grease Monkey said:

IMG_20200117_110330.jpg

IMG_20200117_110311.jpg

Congrats!  I'm sure you feel a LOT better now.  Did you do the under-coating removal/replacement yourself?  I have a '11 and the underside still looks pretty darn good, but it's getting close to where I want to re-do it.  Curious how much of a giant PITA the process was, what products you used (both to remove the old stuff, and to replace it), etc. 

Thanks,

TJ

13 hours ago, Grease Monkey said:

Well after the first wash and in the direct sunlight I've found some mud staining returning on the passenger front fender. Going back in tomorrow. Also the hood must have been done poorly as it's not an even coating nor completely done. Took a picture tonight while the hood had some dew on it. Need to show the shop this as explaining it was worthless. It's like they missed it with short arms and didn't polish the ceramic off completely.

IMG_20200127_184333.jpg

IMG_20200127_184327.jpg

Damn.  I missed this before my previous reply.  Really sorry to see that.  FWIW it's probably just poorly done ceramic coating.  I had my new 5'er ceramic coated front to back before it was delivered.  It was done perfectly and looked (and worked) amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.  Then I had some warranty work done and they scratched and gouged up the front cap (no, they weren't working on the front cap, they had to have done it with a ladder when they were washing it or something, IDK, obviously I was peeeeeeeeeeeeesed).  The shop "repaired" the cap and then re-ceramic coated it and it's a bit hazy and doesn't look nearly as good as the rest.  It drives me nuts, but I'm just going to wait a year or two until I have the whole trailer re-coated again and live with it (I'm really trying hard not to let little things like this bother me as much).  

Anyway, the point is I *think* that's just poorly done ceramic, not your actual paint.  If you're anywhere near AZ look up Matt Moses at Bob Boses Ceramic Coating and tell 'em TJ sent you.  Top-notch work, and top-notch guy who will make sure it's 110% right and answer all your questions. 

-TJ

Seems the ceramic did not cure or something. They have the truck and i sent them the photos I took. No time line given to me so I am just going to let this play out. I have other cars to drive.