cwarkenton

Anyone Want to Rent Their Pusher for a Month in June/July?

Hey Guys,

We are taking our yearly summer trip in June and/or July. This year we are heading up to Glacier from Southern California. We do a long trip every year and passed years have taken the truck and 5ver. Being that the trip will be about 2,500 miles, and taking into account our wife and small son mandated 4.5 hour max drive time per day it looks like a lonnnnnggggg trip. Based on an itinerary I put together, I need a month to keep it pleasurable and leisurely. That's staying at most RV spots for one night and a couple for a couple nights, with 4 nights in Glacier. 

The wife and I have been tossing around the idea of a pusher for a while but the one trip a year we take on the road as a family just doesn't warrant the large capital purchase and maintenance when taking into consideration we have the 'top of the line' 5ver with all the amenities to make our Glamis and river trips truly feel like we're staying in our second home. 

I started looking at RV share websites and am considering that but thought I'd ask here first to see if anybody wanted to make some $$$ instead of the coach just sitting over summer. 

Travelers:

Me, Wife, 17 year old son, 6 year old son, and Rufus the dog. 

No smoking or partying. I've never owned a pusher or motorhome but have owned TT or 5vers since my mid 20s. Like I said, we do at least one long trip yearly and I am familiar with route planning and know for the most part how to handle anything that would come up on the road. 

I would make sure your coach was returned in same or better condition than when we picked it up and would be happy to sign something to ensure that this happens. We have a 1M auto policy with 1M rider and confirmed a rented coach could be added for the trip. 

Maybe a long shot but thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks!

yosemite.jpg

He looks like a happy camper!

1 hour ago, ahipara 55 said:

He looks like a happy camper!

Look at that frown!, it looks like he could kill somebody instantly!, what happen you took his hat off and he got mad???? :(  hahaa

3 hours ago, Sumsand said:

Look at that frown!, it looks like he could kill somebody instantly!, what happen you took his hat off and he got mad???? :(  hahaa

It's seriously our favorite family photo. We drove up to that lookout specifically to take a family photo and he was just in a shitty mood. Hahah

I did just about the same style trip you are planning last summer in our coach.  Did AZ to South Dakota to Wyoming and then back to AZ.  2300miles.  My kids were 3 and 10 months.  I can't even begin to imagine what that would have been like in a truck.  Between potty breaks, naps, eating, etc.  It was the main reason I sold my 5th wheel.   It was awesome to just be able to focus on driving while the wife and grandparents played cards, watched movies, etc.  We would either pull into a truck stop or a rest area at night.  The kids could get up and move around a little when I deemed it safe to do so(95% of the time they were in their car seats).

Often I would just drive while everyone else slept.  

Thank you all for the replies. While I was going through some options and getting rental prices, I came across a pusher that I ended up buying from an older couple. It's a 2001 Monaco Windsor 36PBD. 2 Slides, 330hp Cummins with 56k miles, Allison 3000 6 speed. The Coach has yearly service records from the same RV Mechanic shop (El Toro RV) dating back every year to 2005. I paid $17,000 and feel really good about it. We're pretty pumped! I just put brand new tires on it and we are taking to Gee this weekend for a test run. Wife already wants the 5ver gone hahahah

20200114_100636.jpg

congratulations on the rig. I have a 45’ tag.  Love it for road trips but miss the layout and the two full bathrooms our raptor 5th had. I don’t miss the headaches that trailer came with though. Lol. 

Edited by bryan1

Nice!

WOW!! That seems like a great price for the year and miles of that rig! Congrats!!

On 1/9/2020 at 3:46 PM, cwarkenton said:

yosemite.jpg

Is that the face he made when you told him he'd be going on  ANOTHER long road trip?

17k is a steal!!!

I paid 35k for a 2000 40’

Congrats! Smoking deal on that coach. I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler 40' 330hp Cummins and paid twice what you did four years ago. 

1 hour ago, cwarkenton said:

Thank you all for the replies. While I was going through some options and getting rental prices, I came across a pusher that I ended up buying from an older couple. It's a 2001 Monaco Windsor 36PBD. 2 Slides, 330hp Cummins with 56k miles, Allison 3000 6 speed. The Coach has yearly service records from the same RV Mechanic shop (El Toro RV) dating back every year to 2005. I paid $17,000 and feel really good about it. We're pretty pumped! I just put brand new tires on it and we are taking to Gee this weekend for a test run. Wife already wants the 5ver gone hahahah

20200114_100636.jpg

Wow! What a deal! Wanna trade for my 2005 itasca 35’ with 13k miles?

You could drive for more than 4.5 hrs a day if you didn't make the kid drive.  ;)

Isn't the whole purpose of driving a DP so that the wife/kids can sleep, drink, eat, play games, take a dump, etc. while you drive for 14 hrs/day?

J/K!   :lol:      Kinda sorta.   Wow! fantastic deal you got on that DP! Congrats!    :cheers:

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

You could drive for more than 4.5 hrs a day if you didn't make the kid drive.  ;)

Isn't the whole purpose of driving a DP so that the wife/kids can sleep, drink, eat, play games, take a dump, etc. while you drive for 14 hrs/day?

J/K!   :lol:      Kinda sorta.   Wow! fantastic deal you got on that DP! Congrats!    :cheers:

It needs one of your solar sets up like I got from you. Probably the best upgrade I've done on mine.

Wow.  You stole that thing!  

Congrats!!!

6 hours ago, bryan1 said:

congratulations on the rig. I have a 45’ tag.  Love it for road trips but miss the layout and the two full bathrooms our raptor 5th had. I don’t miss the headaches that trailer came with though. Lol. 

Thanks! We have a Fuzion and still love the 5ver for glamis but may put it up for sale depending how it goes this weekend. The layout isn't really too bad on the motor varieties. It definitely doesn't have all the bells and whistles but honestly all the bells and whistles on the new stuff scare me when thinking long term! 

6 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Is that the face he made when you told him he'd be going on  ANOTHER long road trip?

Hahah he actually loves road trips with the fam. I can't remember why, but he was being such a dick that day. The wife and I went up there almost hoping it end up with a pic like that hahah

6 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

Congrats! Smoking deal on that coach. I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler 40' 330hp Cummins and paid twice what you did four years ago. 

Thanks man. We'll be in the center at RR again this weekend. I knew it was a fair price but didn't know how good until I saw these posts. I'd only been half assed looking at newer models. We are stoked for sure! See you tomorrow. 🤘

Edited by cwarkenton

6 hours ago, sausage450r said:

Wow! What a deal! Wanna trade for my 2005 itasca 35’ with 13k miles?

I don't know the difference between the two but I'd have to say no right now (if you're serious). The old owners were so fricken sweet. The guy had tears in his eyes when he handed over the keys. Plus I have never purchased anything used with such an extensive maintenance history. That's really what got me. NADA had it at 16k so to be honest, I was worried I may have overpaid a bit. 

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

I just did some mapping today and driving 8 hours a day, we'd be to glacier in 3 days compared to 6 days with the 5ver. We are so stoked!! 

That is exactly why we got it! 😎

Thank you so much! 

9 hours ago, cwarkenton said:

I just did some mapping today and driving 8 hours a day, we'd be to glacier in 3 days compared to 6 days with the 5ver. We are so stoked!! 

That is exactly why we got it! 😎

Thank you so much! 

We went from toyhauler to class a when i got sick of the potty breaks, breastfeeding breaks, etc. we only stop for gas stations now