Grease Monkey

It's Saturday 1-11-2020 What are you doing this weekend?

Bought a TDI, going to be the new commuter. Who would have thought there would be so much paperwork for a used car! 

Tomorrow need to get the air filters back on the buggy and start loading up. Going to G on Thursday!

016C9A5A-5E90-45FD-8421-3E2E7CE3A21A.jpeg

Edited by xtracrispy

Remembering when changing a radiator didn't included having to tear apart the whole front end just to replace. 

20200111_133413.jpg

The kids and grandkids are visiting from Sacramento for three days. We wanted to take our 4 year old grandson to Angel stadium to see the monster trucks. He loves anything to do with big trucks or tractors so he was very excited.  Walking through the pits to see the trucks up close he asked me, "Papa is your truck as big as these trucks".                     Watching the excitement on his face as the trucks preformed, as they say was priceless!

Last night and today I've been working with the Garmin Base Camp Birdseye downloader to build a massive map from Needles to Salome to Quartzsite.  I have a 32GB chip inside my Garmin Montana so all of it can fit.  I have to download max 326MB segments at a time because that's the way Birdseye works.

Plus I already have so many GPX tracks loaded.  They are not shown in the photo, but I can display them with a selection in Base Camp on the PC or out in the desert with the Montana.  Last night I downloaded a MASSIVE Arizona Peace Trail GPX that has dozens of markers and descriptions for gas stations, places to eat, photo spots and alternate trails.  All this AZ Peace Trail info can be used for shorter explorations wherever.  Here's where I found it.  Look for the "ZIP Format" link on this page: https://arizonapeacetrail.org/resources/gpx-kml_files/

GarminBaseCampBirdseye.png

Sat am shot the archery shoot at lemon grove rod and gun club (shot really good considering i havent shot since september. Started shoot with a 67 yard 10x but effin finished it with dropping out of form before release for a miss at 24 yards. Shot a 240 out of 280), then to the shop to build some headers. Sat night took the kids ice skating. Painted window trim today and installed/sealed. Took the kids for a bike ride  then went to town for groceries. Carne and pollo tonight with cowboy caviar.

AE8D36A0-A019-4CDD-8456-50430165997D.jpeg

D9179A65-7E17-49E4-8E3A-0D3F84182CC8.jpeg

D7AD5819-8836-4B69-A16D-E18C0ADB0467.jpeg

AF3967E4-8552-4C16-8BED-D420FDF9B1CB.jpeg

Took it in the shorts this weekend. Peace

Drywall, drywall and a little more drywall.  I'd like to get it done.  

IMG_20200111_155823772.jpg

21 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

Drywall, drywall and a little more drywall.  I'd like to get it done.  

IMG_20200111_155823772.jpg

Omg i do not envy you! Are you gonna mud and texture yoreself by hand?

23 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

Last night and today I've been working with the Garmin Base Camp Birdseye downloader to build a massive map from Needles to Salome to Quartzsite.  I have a 32GB chip inside my Garmin Montana so all of it can fit.  I have to download max 326MB segments at a time because that's the way Birdseye works.

Plus I already have so many GPX tracks loaded.  They are not shown in the photo, but I can display them with a selection in Base Camp on the PC or out in the desert with the Montana.  Last night I downloaded a MASSIVE Arizona Peace Trail GPX that has dozens of markers and descriptions for gas stations, places to eat, photo spots and alternate trails.  All this AZ Peace Trail info can be used for shorter explorations wherever.  Here's where I found it.  Look for the "ZIP Format" link on this page: https://arizonapeacetrail.org/resources/gpx-kml_files/

GarminBaseCampBirdseye.png

I'd really be interested in these if you can download them into a Lowrance if you know. I have a place near needles, on the AZ side, and these would be very useful.

1 hour ago, sausage450r said:

Omg i do not envy you! Are you gonna mud and texture yoreself by hand?

Mud yes, texture no.  Its the garage.............. Im showing (or trying to anyway) a GREAT amount of restraint with this project........  its gonna get a quickie fill in the holes & level out the joints & throw some paint on it...... 

The goal was to insulate that wall (afternoon sun), & brighten up the garage, & give the garage a little refresh, w/o spending too much effort or cost.  IMO, just about anyone with a tool box can do this kind of work.  it just takes a few specialty tools, patience & an eye for detail. 

1 hour ago, Wheres Hotboat? said:

I'd really be interested in these if you can download them into a Lowrance if you know. I have a place near needles, on the AZ side, and these would be very useful.

I don't know any technical details about Lowrance, but if you Google "lowrance gpx" a website comes up, plus some forum discussions.

The GPX files that I have imported to my Garmin are small in size.   Each one shows an outline of a trail that someone recorded.  Some like the AZ Peace Trail GPX are packed with other useful markers and comments.  My burden with the Garmin is the downloading I need to do for how Garmin simulates it's own "Google Earth".  That's not related to the GPX files.  They would (and have) appear on my Garmin device even without satellite imagery in that specific location.

BTW I got all the Needles GPX files here (look down the page in the Step 2 section).  https://www.piratecoveresort.com/off-roading/#maps

Edited by Phoenix7

On 1/11/2020 at 8:43 PM, megadesertdiesel said:

Built a welding machine cart to make room for a new Tig welder and cooler along with my mig and plasma cutter.  Added some residual brake pressure valves to the Canam in hopes of having a better pedal feel.  Loading toyhauler tomorrow for MLK trip thursday night. 

Do the residual brake valves also serve as a safety/backup brakes feature?  I'm assuming no because of what I know about master cylinders on a car, but I thought I'd ask because that would be a great upgrade if yes!

6 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

Do the residual brake valves also serve as a safety/backup brakes feature?  I'm assuming no because of what I know about master cylinders on a car, but I thought I'd ask because that would be a great upgrade if yes!

no, they keep 4psi of brake pressure in system to help with the mushy pedal feel of the X3.  Ill find out this weekend if it works or not.

3 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

no, they keep 4psi of brake pressure in system to help with the mushy pedal feel of the X3.  Ill find out this weekend if it works or not.

Thanks for letting me know.  Good luck this weekend.

After Fridays terrible news both from the shop working on my side by side and the shocking news of the death of Neil Peart I sat around the house listening to Rush, decided to figure out the bass line to Limelight wondering how in the hell i completely grenaded the rear differential on my YXZ.

Both have me stumped

1 hour ago, Bobalos said:

Mud yes, texture no.  Its the garage.............. Im showing (or trying to anyway) a GREAT amount of restraint with this project........  its gonna get a quickie fill in the holes & level out the joints & throw some paint on it...... 

The goal was to insulate that wall (afternoon sun), & brighten up the garage, & give the garage a little refresh, w/o spending too much effort or cost.  IMO, just about anyone with a tool box can do this kind of work.  it just takes a few specialty tools, patience & an eye for detail. 

I completely agree. For me, it takes FOREVER. I hate mudding, let it dry, sand it, texture it, sand it, seal the corners, paint it. No thanks. Its the thing i dread the most everytime my wife talks about remodeling. Thankfully all i have left in my house are the walls in one hallway and a wall in my living room. I  no joke have probably 500hrs mudding/texturing in my house. 

My wife has a cousin in washington state that is a union drywall finisher (mud/texture) i dont know how you can do that 40-60hrs a week and not go crazy

Edited by sausage450r

34 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

My wife has a cousin in washington state that is a union drywall finisher (mud/texture) i dont know how you can do that 40-60hrs a week and not go crazy

All the good ones  I know who have been doing it a long time have drinking or drug problems.

I can tape butt and bed joints that's easy peasy . it's the inside and outside corners that I just don't have the patience or talent for. 

I could not do it for a living no way in hell  

55 minutes ago, MWB said:

After Fridays terrible news both from the shop working on my side by side and the shocking news of the death of Neil Peart I sat around the house listening to Rush, decided to figure out the bass line to Limelight wondering how in the hell i completely grenaded the rear differential on my YXZ.

Both have me stumped

Not enough Ice Cream obviously........

31 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

Not enough Ice Cream obviously........

Not everybody can be cool as you

1310459273_RKIceCream.jpg.1954df542ee693466ce39004c428116d.jpg.f21d9fdaf32d13f7485a688abac24284.jpg

Had the best weather and sand conditions all season!!!  Loved my Glamis trip!!  :wub: :igar::yay:

Sunset_2.thumb.jpg.1f6e3d3c4072b17c13f056b9bbb69379.jpg

Sunrise.jpg

Nice!

image.jpeg

13 minutes ago, RK Racing said:

Nice!

image.jpeg

Thanks!!  Yeah it's my own tradition to go watch at least 1 sunrise per trip...  We watch every sunset... but sunrises speak to me!!  The quiet the serenity... it's just a perfect moment in time... almost like time stands still.   

@Lil'Moni77

The sun has been up for a bit :laugh: in that pic

Edited by Sand Diva

19 minutes ago, Sand Diva said:

@Lil'Moni77

The sun has been up for a bit :laugh: in that pic

:lol: yeah I had a late night :wh:... believe it or not it was only 8am...  which is sleeping in for a sunrise... :lol:

On 1/11/2020 at 8:55 AM, Grease Monkey said:

Headed in to the shop today. Get more picts of the Hustler. Buying a few more Work Vans for the guys. Doing a brake job and see what's left of the day after that.

Tomorrow visit with Mom and chill.

You all be safe, have fun and enjoy your weekend.

:gd:

:sail:

Keeping the big V8 car?