Jump to content
Kraut_n_Rice

Tooth docs

Recommended Posts

My guy is easy to see on the road 2THFXR is the plate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had 2 crowns done side by side, he did a scan of both, my question was wouldnt it be better if one was done then the other, he said no. . Well had to send one back to the lab, then had to grind the other, now there is a gap so if I eat on that side i have to floss immediately.  So, my experience is the scanner has limitations. My son went in and with a chipped front tooth and in a hurry he started grinding down the wrong one. Just like anyone when too busy mistakes happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, raspadoo said:

Just had 2 crowns done side by side, he did a scan of both, my question was wouldnt it be better if one was done then the other, he said no. . Well had to send one back to the lab, then had to grind the other, now there is a gap so if I eat on that side i have to floss immediately.  So, my experience is the scanner has limitations. My son went in and with a chipped front tooth and in a hurry he started grinding down the wrong one. Just like anyone when too busy mistakes happen. 

That’s not the scanners fault any more than a broken weld on your spindle is your Miller welder’s fault. The scanner is a tool and is only as good as the dentist using it. The dentist should check the area between the teeth before cementing the crowns. Having to “grind the crowns” has a lot to do with your temporary crowns as well. A small amount of adjustments is normal when fitting a crown. That being said there are a lot of variables in play so I hate to pass judgement on your dentist, but I’d mention it to him and ask him to make it right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 7:36 PM, Dune Doc said:

Gents, I’m an orthodontist. We do full mouth digital scans all day long for patients that we will be treating with Invisalign. We also scan our “braces cases” for study models/diagnostic models. Done correctly, digital scans can be way more accurate than impressions. There are many different types of impression materials. Once removed from the mouth, some are more stable than others. Some materials start to distort soon after removal from the mouth and need to be poured up with the dental stone to make a model of the teeth ASAP. Polyvinyl solaxane materials, which are used for crown and bridge impressions, are very stable and have served the profession well for many years. It is still used by many practitioners. This material does not need to be poured up immediately. Digital scanners are also used by many and are extremely accurate. Almost every orthodontist has a digital scanner now days. All of our appliances fit very well. Much better than when we were using PVS impressions. Remakes are a thing of the past for us. The appliances that we get back from our lab fit perfectly. The scanner that we use is the itero element 2. Check it out online. It’s pretty cool. We can perform a full mouth scan in approximately 5 minutes. It is received by the lab instantly once we hit the send button. Many patients are very apprehensive about having impressions taken thinking that it will make them gag, or worse throw up. Patients love the scanner vs. having to have an impression taken. Digital scanners are here to stay and the technology is getting better and better. I can’t imagine having to practice without a scanner. 

Back in the day,  while being drilled on, the assistant placed her hooters on my arm.

I didn't mind the drill at all..

(Words To Live By)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 7:44 PM, Jawbreaker said:

Phoenix7,  I like to place a temporary crown and wait 1-2 weeks to see if all symptoms (cold, biting sensitivity, etc) resolves before placing and permanently cementing the final porcelain crown.  My Army specialist I refer to uses a magnifying microscope that also projects onto a big screen monitor the patient can watch him work.  He also has a 3D cone beam CT that images the tooth in 3 dimensions. General dentists can do good work if they take their time and are perfectionists.  Most Endodontists do better quality work and faster procedure times because it's all they do, and usually they are retreating cases that failed from general dentists.  The crown needs to be 1.5mm thick, so I have to grind away 1.5mm from the top of tooth down. I can see how close the nerve/pulp is to the top of the tooth from a pre op X-ray. Usually if it is close we do a "prophylactic endo" so we can have room for a crown with adequate thickness it will resist fracture. AAE is American Academy of Endodontists that are board certified. Members are usually the best of the best. Jawbreaker.

Thanks so much!  This confirms my suspicions about the Dentist doing full root canals.  Plus I learned about prophylactic endos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, raspadoo said:

Just had 2 crowns done side by side, he did a scan of both, my question was wouldnt it be better if one was done then the other, he said no. . Well had to send one back to the lab, then had to grind the other, now there is a gap so if I eat on that side i have to floss immediately.  So, my experience is the scanner has limitations. My son went in and with a chipped front tooth and in a hurry he started grinding down the wrong one. Just like anyone when too busy mistakes happen. 

I'd find a new Doc... that guy sucks. I've been in the industry over 25 years and watch the doc's I deal with closely. I have guys I'd use then some I'd rather suffer before going to them :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm convinced my wife's dentist is a total CROOK! but she is convinced she just has bad teeth.

So I start looking at the bills. They were charging every month $125 cleaning fee...WTF???? 

She went back and called them out...the little old lady said oh, that's not getting charged to you..that isn't your actual bill! REALLY? WHY THE EFF is it on my bill? Crickets! Interesting it was all reversed the next bill we got!

Oh an what about the dual insurance..I have her on my plan as well! Nothing even shows that they are applying that!

My dentist is super cool but a far drive. He has been keeping an eye on a certain tooth for years to make sure that it isn't a cavity or growing. No need to drill it if it doesn't need to. 

I wish my wife would change dentists...but you know how that goes! :bag:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbart said:

I'm convinced my wife's dentist is a total CROOK! but she is convinced she just has bad teeth.

So I start looking at the bills. They were charging every month $125 cleaning fee...WTF???? 

She went back and called them out...the little old lady said oh, that's not getting charged to you..that isn't your actual bill! REALLY? WHY THE EFF is it on my bill? Crickets! Interesting it was all reversed the next bill we got!

Oh an what about the dual insurance..I have her on my plan as well! Nothing even shows that they are applying that!

My dentist is super cool but a far drive. He has been keeping an eye on a certain tooth for years to make sure that it isn't a cavity or growing. No need to drill it if it doesn't need to. 

I wish my wife would change dentists...but you know how that goes! :bag:

 

Find her a cute dentist, she’ll change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

Thanks so much!  This confirms my suspicions about the Dentist doing full root canals.  Plus I learned about prophylactic endos.

I'm a dentist who enjoys all aspects of dentistry, but with any medical problem, you need to have definitive diagnosis before doing the endo .  Thats just my opinion and the way I operate.  No definite diagnosis = no endo (root canal). Why do work that might not need done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DBart If you need a GREAT dentist for the Mrs, I have one on Chapman in Orange. It's not too far from you ;) 

Edited by Orange_R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just mail mine in, and they ship them back to me..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a general dentist and I don't really have much to add to what has already been said.  However, If you want to know who the real crooks are it's the insurance industry.  They have figured out how to cheat both the patient and the provider.  My advice would be for the patient and the Doctor to quit making decisions based on insurance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, barneydds said:

I'm a general dentist and I don't really have much to add to what has already been said.  However, If you want to know who the real crooks are it's the insurance industry.  They have figured out how to cheat both the patient and the provider.  My advice would be for the patient and the Doctor to quit making decisions based on insurance. 

I’ve always wondered this. Like the dentist may want to do something else that is better for the long term health of the teeth but my insurance only provides so much and they choose something less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, barneydds said:

I'm a general dentist and I don't really have much to add to what has already been said.  However, If you want to know who the real crooks are it's the insurance industry.  They have figured out how to cheat both the patient and the provider.  My advice would be for the patient and the Doctor to quit making decisions based on insurance. 

This is so dang true. Insurance is a major problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, barneydds said:

I'm a general dentist and I don't really have much to add to what has already been said.  However, If you want to know who the real crooks are it's the insurance industry.  They have figured out how to cheat both the patient and the provider.  My advice would be for the patient and the Doctor to quit making decisions based on insurance. 

In all of medicine, not just dentistry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...