7 hours ago, DEV'S RZR said:

One thing that has been noted that the frond ends on the Can Am x3 are very weak and need to be upgraded . Any front end repairs are a major job . The hole front end has to be taken apart to do any replacement repairs . This is what I have seen first hand at Joe fabs shop in Glami

All true. When I bought my X3, I rolled it off the trailer and into the garage to tear it down, and install gusset kit, shock tower brace, and send the shocks out for tune/springs at 0 miles. In the end, I just could not get right with the forward visibility, even with set risers, and I am a former X3 owner.

14 minutes ago, 1HasBeen said:

All true. When I bought my X3, I rolled it off the trailer and into the garage to tear it down, and install gusset kit, shock tower brace, and send the shocks out for tune/springs at 0 miles. In the end, I just could not get right with the forward visibility, even with set risers, and I am a former X3 owner.

This is concerning and something I should take into consideration.  I stopped by another dealer on way home yesterday and sat in everything again.  This time I noticed the lack of leg room in the Honda.  I am starting to think either the RZR or Can-am but the more I hear about he can-am weakness maybe I should think about the RZR. 

30 minutes ago, Desert Guy76 said:

This is concerning and something I should take into consideration.  I stopped by another dealer on way home yesterday and sat in everything again.  This time I noticed the lack of leg room in the Honda.  I am starting to think either the RZR or Can-am but the more I hear about he can-am weakness maybe I should think about the RZR. 

the canam frame is weak but can be beefed up with parts or welding on bracing.  My 2017 X3 with 5000 hard dune miles failed on me at the shock tower while duning.  If I had a shocktower brace I would guess it would last a lot longer.  The X3 has a lot of frame weaknesses that can be overcome with bracing but some of the other manufacturers weaknesses are internal transmission and clutching which is a whole other lever for upgrading to make a bullet resistant sxs.

46 minutes ago, Desert Guy76 said:

The Can Am is not fragile as some make it out to be.   Yes they use a thin walled material, but it is a lot stronger then you think.  I have several drill bits and sawzalls blades that will attest to it.

I have a $129 HMF gusset kit for the front suspension.  I recently put a$279 TMW shock tower brace on (I ran 4800 miles in the dunes, desert and baja with no issue).  For the lower a-arm I had the $69.00 Taco kit from Extreme performance welded on.   Shock tower brace was added after seeing @megadesertdiesel shock tower rip off his X3.  Keep in mind he may drive a little harder than the average driver.

The 2020 shock valving on the X3 is much better than previous years.   2019 and new frames have some additional gussets and thicker material in some areas.  

Sit in them all and if you can drive them all better.  Perhaps hit up a rental place that has the X3, RZR and Talon and take each out for a day.  Yes it will be pricey, but worth it as you will have a much more informed opinion on each versus what we say on the Internet.    

5 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

The Can Am is not fragile as some make it out to be.   Yes they use a thin walled material, but it is a lot stronger then you think.  I have several drill bits and sawzalls blades that will attest to it.

I have a $129 HMF gusset kit for the front suspension.  I recently put a$279 TMW shock tower brace on (I ran 4800 miles in the dunes, desert and baja with no issue).  For the lower a-arm I had the $69.00 Taco kit from Extreme performance welded on.   Shock tower brace was added after seeing @megadesertdiesel shock tower rip off his X3.  Keep in mind he may drive a little harder than the average driver.

The 2020 shock valving on the X3 is much better than previous years.   2019 and new frames have some additional gussets and thicker material in some areas.  

Sit in them all and if you can drive them all better.  Perhaps hit up a rental place that has the X3, RZR and Talon and take each out for a day.  Yes it will be pricey, but worth it as you will have a much more informed opinion on each versus what we say on the Internet.    

Thank You.. Great info

Its just crazy to me that someone would buy a product then immediately tear it down to make it stronger so it wont break. 

Could you imagine if you bought an automobile and you had to modify it just to make it reliable on the street. Its amazing what people except as normal.

If you go to The King of the Hammers there will be Honda Talon Demos. Come give it a try and see if you like it. 

Talon X 4P standard

Talon X 4P Fox Live Valve

Talon R 2P

Talon X 2P

Will be available for demo rides. 

Edited by RIDERED

35 minutes ago, RIDERED said:

Its just crazy to me that someone would buy a product then immediately tear it down to make it stronger so it wont break. 

Could you imagine if you bought an automobile and you had to modify it just to make it reliable on the street. Its amazing what people except as normal.

If you go to The King of the Hammers there will be Honda Talon Demos. Come give it a try and see if you like it. 

Talon X 4P standard

Talon R 2P

Talon X 2P

Your analogy is all wrong.  Taking a SxS to Glamis or KOH isn't akin to buying a street car and driving it around your neighborhood.  It's more like buying an average street car and then trying to run WRC with it.  There are plenty of people that buy new vehicles, from Jeeps to Corvettes and significantly modify them for use out side of the basic street-driving envelope.  The same is true for SxSs.  Any of the top ones will handle forest trails and MILD duning in a small venue like Pismo just fine, stock.  If you want to run with big rails in Glamis they need mods, which is no big deal.  And even if I bought a new ZR1 Corvette I'd still want to supplement the safety with at least a rollcage before I ran the Nurburgring.

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

Look at all the adds and commercial  that the manufacturers put out. Its not all unicorns and rainbows. Its hardcore dunes, desert and rock crawling.  Their the ones promoting what they should be used for. Obviously some of them can't hold up to the same abuse as they promote. If Chevy did a commercial of the ZR1 Corvette doing a bitchen burn out. You go  buy one and did that same bitchen burn out and the rear end fell out. Wouldn't you be pissed? 

Or here is a better anolgy. You go buy a brand new dirt bike, take it home and put gusset on the front tripple  clamps because they will break the first jump or whoops you hit. Is that okay?

12 hours ago, Desert Guy76 said:

I think you should consider whichever one you fit most comfortably in. I've owned a Can Am for a brief time. My buddy has one he bought brand new. Both of them were 2017 X3 XRS models. We duned the hell out of them as well as trail rode and neither one has had a front end failure. I take everything I read on here with a grain of salt. My real life experience has convinced me they can be problem free machines and need nothing more than to be taken out and enjoyed. I think they have been given a bad rap just like the Rzr has about catching on fire. 

Someone on another forum posted a CARB document showing two-seat Talons in both R and X versions with Live Valve are on the way. No factory turbo, though.

image.png.1d94ecf3f760635c67931d2ba1c5c237.png

Edited by 1HasBeen

16 hours ago, RIDERED said:

Talon X 4P standard

Talon R 2P

Talon X 2P

Almost as crazy as buying a sandrail new only to have to upgrade stuff.   It is an offroad toy and upgrades are part of the game.  It is what makes owning an off-road toy fun.

The SXS market is loaded with aftermarket goodies and snake oil sales people.  A good chunk of what you read is just internet frenzy created by aftermarket companies and a small percentage of people who either crash because they think they can plow through everything or just drive beyond the limits.     A prime example is the wheel bearing greaser.  Do you think a manufacture is sending out new units with no grease in wheel bearings?  If you believe what you read on forums or FB it would have you believe there is no grease in them.  My X3 with 4800 miles would say otherwise and does several of my friends with lots of miles on their SXSs.  

90% of the people that buy a SXS can take if from the showroom floor and go have fun and never worry about a thing.  It is the 10% of the users that push the limits or blame there shitty driving decisions results on the manufacture.  I think people often confuse wants with needs. 

If you think the Honda will be without faults I think you will be in for a surprise.

4 hours ago, 1HasBeen said:

Someone on another forum posted a CARB document showing two-seat Talons in both R and X versions with Live Valve are on the way. No factory turbo, though.

image.png.1d94ecf3f760635c67931d2ba1c5c237.png

You won't see a factory turbo.  They have a deal with Jackson Motorports for the turbo as an add on at the dealer.  The turbo kit should be available this month and will bump up the hp to the 160 range.  Pretty trick set up and you retain your factory warranty. 

The Internet Information age is both blessing and curse, mostly curse these days as it becomes easier to spread bad / incorrect information across social media via APs on smart phone/tablet devices.

3 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

You won't see a factory turbo.  They have a deal with Jackson Motorports for the turbo as an add on at the dealer.  The turbo kit should be available this month and will bump up the hp to the 160 range.  Pretty trick set up and you retain your factory warranty. 

I am well aware of the Jackson kit, as my buddy is patiently(not) waiting on one for his R. It was more tongue-in-cheek wishing for a factory turbo, as I believe they will find that many people will not buy a kit turbo no matter how nice it is, plus a factory turbo should be a wee bit more economical. I know Honda is conservative, etc., etc., etc., but I think they are taking the wrong approach. Just my $0.02, after ten years in the industry.

Edited by 1HasBeen

Well I know Dave  from a XA rentals have can am and the Polaris razors so you could at least try those two out in Glamis . 

On 1/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, RIDERED said:

Talon X 4P standard

Talon R 2P

Talon X 2P

@Desert Guy76 If you want to drive up to Lucerne for the day and test drive those things, I'll go with ya if you want.

I plan on Testing one out at KOH

@Desert Guy76 you should close this thread out with a  pic of that new Can Am.