endobear

02 7.3 regear thoughts

my 99 f350 towed great stock tires drw back and forth from glamis to nj 4 times pulling a 48ft goose neck about 20k. never had a problem until i sold it and bought a 2017 f450 platinum with 5500 miles on it.  so far new egr valve, new dpf. reprogramming 3 times, new nox sensors, and that was before i put 500 miles on it. then i made the trek across the country was a great ride comfortable quiet and it just liked to tow and go straight.  i love the new truck so nice so the trailers have been in storage all season and the truck isn't towing much and some how i blew the transmission ford rebuilt it under warranty 14k on it now. the new truck is a lot better and safer the f350 always had a hard time stopping and i over heated the brakes a few times. all in all if i wasn't towing 2800 miles twice a year i would still have my 7.3

whose injectors and tunes you using? hpop been replaced?

something sounds off to me, my 96 had 238/100 injectors from PIS, full turbo set up with intercooler from irate diesel, strictly diesel full race fuel set up etc.

I would have never believed that truck would run like it did, it was simply incredible, egt's always in check, towing my enclosed or even my bobcat or tractor.

may have another issue, may want to check it out first.

you need a 38r non EBPV turbo for your 7.3. the stock EBPV restricts the exhaust very bad. as well as a 4 or 5" straight exhaust pipe, you will see drop of 150 to 200deg in egt. I run a 2003 7.3 6 speed manual trans, 4.11 gears 32" tires, dual disk clutch, AC code injectors, regulated return fuel system, 38r turbo straight 4" turbo back, AFR Intake, diesel innovations tunes and i absolutly love it. been pulling heavy for 10 years straight without missing a beat. yanks really hard over the hill holding 1300deg at 60mph at the steepest parts. Weigh in at 26k gross combined. best improvment was the turbo, would like to add meth injection or a better intercooler next on day. The 4R100 just simply cannot control the torque of  7.3 pulling a load over a mountain at 65mph,  even after john woods. better off adapting the allison (google it) or converting the the 6speed manual. you will see night and day difference. i wear ear plugs when towing in my 7.3 because after 3 hours my ears would be ringing. 

20180525_135037.jpg

20151118_142932.jpg

20190720_130222.jpg

20190701_184849.jpg

Edited by Bob102

12 hours ago, zilla68 said:

whose injectors and tunes you using? hpop been replaced?

something sounds off to me, my 96 had 238/100 injectors from PIS, full turbo set up with intercooler from irate diesel, strictly diesel full race fuel set up etc.

I would have never believed that truck would run like it did, it was simply incredible, egt's always in check, towing my enclosed or even my bobcat or tractor.

may have another issue, may want to check it out first.

He's hauling 13-15k lbs around at 7000'+ on 35s and 3.73s all the time.  Gearing is definitely in order.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Given me some things to think about and look into.

She has a Terminator 500 HPOP, ATS turbo housing, DP Tuners Infinity programmer, Wicked Wheel 3,  factory Ford Heavy Duty Trans, Billet Low Stall Torque Converter, Hutch and Harpoon Mod, Coolant and fuel filter setups, International Bellowed  Up Pipe, Riff Raff CAC boots and a bunch of other little things Im forgetting. She yanks  light trailers for day trips but still have to watch EGTs closely

The altitude Im towing at does effect me. A lot. When I get down in the flat lands, sea level, it tows much, much better. Night and day better.

If I lived in Az  or CA, I wouldn't touch it. Especially if I could only tow at 55mph but I don't.

New or newer truck is out of the ? right now. I do plan to get one in a couple of years after my home projects are done and I can plan to take more time off to really use it for fun.

Edited by endobear