Jonesin'

Axle cutting

Where can I have my axles cut and re-notched for spiral clips? 

you are a 1000-Miles away from most of us  LOL

RBP might do them

we do them in the lathe,  see if a local machine shop will cut them or you can send it to us,

Just find a local machinist 

Axles are only surface hardened, as Alper said any one  with standard Lathe can cut them and regroove them.

however, you can cut them with a Chop saw and cut the groove back in with a handheld cutoff wheel just have someone turn the axle and you will make the groove straight, I have done lots of them at Glamis that way, then take a 40 grit flap wheel and slightly debur the cut off end.  

Really takes maybe 5 minutes to do two

X2 for the grinder and cut off wheel, 1/8 or 1/16 blades are available at Depot and the 5" blades fit perfectly of the 4.5" grinder and make for a straighter cut. most important thing is that you get the groove for the snap  ring the same distance from the end as it was originally.  lways work alone so I usually I put the axle on a couple 2x4s on the ground and rotate the axle with my foot slowly while cutting the groove nice and straight. You can do it baby!

Chop saw works fine to cut them. If use a grinder/cutoff wheel the standard spiral clip will not be tight. I've doubled them up on some axles.

Or ship them to Kartek, they cut and re-groove  them in house. 

7 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Chop saw works fine to cut them. If use a grinder/cutoff wheel the standard spiral clip will not be tight. I've doubled them up on some axles.

Or ship them to Kartek, they cut and re-groove  them in house. 

LRS - True on the cutoff wheel - you should use a 3" wheel nit a 4.5" which is wider, the 3" harbor freight are very narrow, you almost need to open them up with a second to get snap ring to seat

I used a chop saw and sat down with a tape line and a cut off wheel on a dremel tool for the groove👍🏻 Worked great and free to me.

Never thought of the cut off wheel. Thanks again

I’m too scared to F things up. Kartek is doing mine tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, fullthrottleguy said:

Axles are only surface hardened, as Alper said any one  with standard Lathe can cut them and regroove them.

however, you can cut them with a Chop saw and cut the groove back in with a handheld cutoff wheel just have someone turn the axle and you will make the groove straight, I have done lots of them at Glamis that way, then take a 40 grit flap wheel and slightly debur the cut off end.  

Really takes maybe 5 minutes to do two

great advice.

Hey guys, do I need to use the spring clip? Can’t I just use a big snap ring after I regroove it?