jtmoney714

Flying out of TJ

So seems OC no longer flys direct to Cabo. And lax flights are around 600$ And flying from San Diego is around 450$. Tj happens to be 180$. Just wondering about the process with parking and etc. Is it worth it?

A lot of my boat captains do it. I have not as I don't care to work down there anymore. Check into shuttle services that can take you to the border and then shuttle you to the airport. Ive been told this is the easiest. 

Check out the CBX in Otay Mesa pay to park your vehicle then walk across bridge right into the airport. hope this helps.

Yup.  Did this on my last trip to La Paz.  Used CBX to TJ and did the express pass.  It was awesome.  Doing the same thing this year.   Airport is really really nice.

I haven't tried the CBX myself but it sounds perfect for you. ^^^ beat me to it, but I heard it's like $18 each way for using the bridge. No other bridge in the world that offers this opportunity. Basically you are in the US and walk across this bridge and you are immediately in another country's international airport. Pretty trick. No need for Taxi or walking across with all your luggage on grounds in Mexico or whatever. Depending on how long your stay or how many people, this would be the way. Yes they have parking too. 

15 minutes ago, SANDEXPRESS said:

Check out the CBX in Otay Mesa pay to park your vehicle then walk across bridge right into the airport. hope this helps.

What do they charge to park there? And would leaving a vehicle there for 4 days be safe?

When are you going?  I see lots of flights under $400 out of LAX.

only 4 days ?

We  use the CBX crossing 3-4 times a year and the BIL crosses 8-10 times a year. Our cars have been parked for 3-14 days per trip and we have never had an issue with leaving the car parked in the lots.  The $18-20/day parking beats the hell out of having to cross at Otay Mesa or San Ysidro.

Did Southwest stop their OC to Cabo flights??  I have taken it the past couple of years.  I also just booked SD to Cabo, $450 round trip, it hurt a bit since it was 6 tickets...…….ouch.

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

Did Southwest stop their OC to Cabo flights??  I have taken it the past couple of years.  I also just booked SD to Cabo, $450 round trip, it hurt a bit since it was 6 tickets...…….ouch.

Ya Southwest stopped. It was some downsizing deal they had with John Wayne.

if I’m driving down to San Diego to fly I figure it would be worth it to try out flying out of tj for a third of the price.  

5 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

if I’m driving down to San Diego to fly I figure it would be worth it to try out flying out of tj for a third of the price.  

Bummer about Southwest, I got use my points on that flight that last couple of years.  I was monitoring the flight cost from SD for months, and nothing was changing so had to pull the trigger.  The TJ route seems to good to be true, that is a huge savings.

Dude, just drive into Mex through the Otay border crossing, leave your car at the airport parking for 4 days. If you look it up, it's a major road, 5 minutes to the airport once across. Your cell should still be able to GPS Navigate you to and from. Don't leave valuables visible and don't drive nothing flashy. It's safe man, I'm sure of it. I think we just like to put fear in ourselves but people do it all day long, every day. 

53 minutes ago, Chingon619 said:

Don't leave valuables visible and don't drive nothing flashy. It's safe man, I'm sure of it. I think we just like to put fear in ourselves but people do it all day long, every day. 

If it is so safe, why not drive something flashy?

4 minutes ago, Rucker said:

Most pilots have an "airport" car, and then their other cars.  The logic is sound.

28 minutes ago, Rucker said:

Because the peace of mind is priceless.

5 minutes ago, Chingon619 said:

Because the peace of mind is priceless.

What if all you have is flashy ? 

CBX is the way to go! Super easy and quick. Almost everything is in Spanish and the flight attendants spoke Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and I was able if figure it out. We flew one-way from Cabo to SD to try it out before we planned any trips back to Cabo with the kids. I would not think twice about it. We uberd to CBX so I don't know about the parking. 

10 minutes ago, MWB said:

What if all you have is flashy ? 

Then you would be flying out of San Diego or LAX and not be worried about saving a couple hundred bucks if it's the "flashy" I'm referring to. 

CBX Crossing is the ticket.

Parking lots EVERYWHERE get robbed, flashy car or not.

Flying out of TJ saves big $$$, just do it and never look back.

:crusty:

8 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

If you're worried about your car in the parking lot, drive down to San Diego, I'll go with you to the CBX crossing, then park your car in front of my house. Then I'll pick you up when you get back and you just drive home. I live in a super quiet cul-de-sac, never had a crime here in 24 yrs. Plus you won't have to pay for parking.

According to Google maps, I'm 45 min. from the CBX.

6 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

If you're worried about your car in the parking lot, drive down to San Diego, I'll go with you to the CBX crossing, then park your car in front of my house. Then I'll pick you up when you get back and you just drive home. I live in a super quiet cul-de-sac, never had a crime here in 24 yrs. Plus you won't have to pay for parking.

According to Google maps, I'm 45 min. from the CBX.

Awesome offer. Thanks for that. I’ll keep that in mind. 

No problem! Just give me a couple days notice if you decide to do it.   👍