Kikilouieskie

Tell me more about this transmission please

I’m starting a vw/ej20 sandrail build. 
I know nothing but I am learning. 
I picked up a frame (2000 chensworth?)  and it came with this transmission - all I think I know is that it is a type 2  3 rib manual transmission? 
please tell me more

3479BC53-14C0-4644-9515-318BF46C7AEB.jpeg

347BDDAD-9363-4D67-B9EB-9024C7150FE0.jpeg

5E17CFBE-66EE-4155-98C9-0B0A52C6C9CE.jpeg

That’s a early 71-74? 002 bus box. Has 5.38 r&p in it

NOT enough strength for EJ20 speaking from experience. I’ve seen several of these broken from that combo. Rebuilt with Weddle gears will do fine but I’d recommend finding a good 091 bus box. 76-79 years. 

22 minutes ago, BJ_buggyfab said:

That’s a early 71-74? 002 bus box. Has 5.38 r&p in it

NOT enough strength for EJ20 speaking from experience. I’ve seen several of these broken from that combo. Rebuilt with Weddle gears will do fine but I’d recommend finding a good 091 bus box. 76-79 years. 

Thanks a lot for the response.
You gave me more info then I found in hours searching lol. 
- I don’t know why but I’m having a hard time finding info on these transmissions

I was planning on rebuilding it so thanks for the weddle gear recommendation!

1 hour ago, Kikilouieskie said:

- I don’t know why but I’m having a hard time finding info on these transmissions

No problem!  Also if you rebuild it get a Weddle ring & pinion gear set. Those are what I’ve broken the most in 002s

Check out "the samba" website. They have a sticky in one of the forums with info and discussion on VW transmissions.

10 hours ago, Kikilouieskie said:

A lot of trans builders are selling complete built units for less than rebuilding that one with good parts probably costs:

091 is probably your best bet but I did see this here on the board

Can't say much about just from the exterior other than what type of transaxle it is. (Early 002 bus gearbox). You can never trust what is inside, especially if it came out of a sand car. Chances are high that it has been into at some point in it's life and has some mix of parts in it.

Best bet is to take it to a builder to have it torn apart and see whats what inside. If you don't plan on pumping a bunch of power through the EJ20 or running like a racecar, you can probably spend some money on it with our gears and make it live if driving with some regard.

16 hours ago, Kikilouieskie said:

Just come here and ask away, a lot of great info on this board, most of us have already made the mistakes.  Have building.

Awesome guys. 
Thanks y’all for your time.
I’m on a budget build since I’m still in college, so a built 091 or gears might be out of my price range. 

since I shouldn’t do a ej motor I looked at vw motors and found this -

It’s a dual port k case bored out to 1600, needs a distributor cap, muffler and a carb. - For 600$,

a 1600 that’s needs to be rebuilt with a price of 1000$ but could probably talk him down to what $$ you recommend? (The picture pic) Pic 1

or a 

Bug motor the guy knows nothing about with a price of 1000$ Pic 2/2.1

Thanks again you guys 

E6ABDB28-0C6E-4C1F-AB3D-D4AB9883378B.jpeg

33407E06-E3F6-4AB7-B00D-07D164ACBC85.jpeg

60D10F20-85C8-4468-8653-EA39CD4E1476.jpeg

21 hours ago, BJ_buggyfab said:

No problem!  Also if you rebuild it get a Weddle ring & pinion gear set. Those are what I’ve broken the most in 002s

Yup full weddle gears and ring pinion it should work out.Mine is an 091 gusseted case with full weddle internals.I use a 4.57 ring pinion though.

16 minutes ago, Kikilouieskie said:

Awesome guys. 
Thanks y’all for your time.
I’m on a budget build since I’m still in college, so a built 091 or gears might be out of my price range. 

since I shouldn’t do a ej motor I looked at vw motors and found this -

It’s a dual port k case bored out to 1600, needs a distributor cap, muffler and a carb. - For 600$,

a 1600 that’s needs to be rebuilt with a price of 1000$ but could probably talk him down to what $$ you recommend? (The picture pic) Pic 1

or a 

Bug motor the guy knows nothing about with a price of 1000$ Pic 2/2.1

Thanks again you guys 

E6ABDB28-0C6E-4C1F-AB3D-D4AB9883378B.jpeg

33407E06-E3F6-4AB7-B00D-07D164ACBC85.jpeg

60D10F20-85C8-4468-8653-EA39CD4E1476.jpeg

1600 will barely move car through the dunesit will struggle on hills.To mod a vw isnt cheap either and your still not going to have the power of a water pumper.I rana vw for years my 1776 pushed my small 2 seater fine,1914 did better,built a 4 seater and my 1914 did ok built  a 2275 it did well til kids got bigger.That 2275 would cost about 4500 or more to build today and i did the assembly on it.I would rebuild it every 2 seasons to keep in great shape but parts were getting more expensive every build.Finally went honda v6 for a third of the cost.

IMO use the money to put towards a trans maybe find a used one if you can they pop up here and there but you would probably be much happier with the subi vs the vw.

40 minutes ago, 77charger said:

1600 will barely move car through the dunesit will struggle on hills.To mod a vw isnt cheap either and your still not going to have the power of a water pumper.I rana vw for years my 1776 pushed my small 2 seater fine,1914 did better,built a 4 seater and my 1914 did ok built  a 2275 it did well til kids got bigger.That 2275 would cost about 4500 or more to build today and i did the assembly on it.I would rebuild it every 2 seasons to keep in great shape but parts were getting more expensive every build.Finally went honda v6 for a third of the cost.

IMO use the money to put towards a trans maybe find a used one if you can they pop up here and there but you would probably be much happier with the subi vs the vw.

Good info...….nothing cheap about a VW. A Honda or Ecotec may cost a little more up front with a few extra parts (trans, ecu, etc) but will be much cheaper in the long run.

13 hours ago, 77charger said:

Skip the vw. Run the EJ20 and find a stock 091. ($500-700)You will be much happier. I’ve beat on a stock 091 for 8 years and it never broke. Had it torn down for refresh and everything was still good shape. They are MUCH tougher than the 002 

2 hours ago, BJ_buggyfab said:

Skip the vw. Run the EJ20 and find a stock 091. ($500-700)You will be much happier. I’ve beat on a stock 091 for 8 years and it never broke. Had it torn down for refresh and everything was still good shape. They are MUCH tougher than the 002 

My luck with stock third was not as good as yours.  I have a EJ25 w/ EJ20 turbo , stock 091 3rd third gear lasted 3 trips, when the car was first finished in 08. They aren't very strong because they are fine tooth, meant for quite cruising. At the time, everyone said I'd blow out third fast. I didn't think it would only be trips. A non turbo 2.0 will have significantly less torque and if its in a lighter car that will help. 

Built the 091 and it lasted 11 years. the same stock old main bearing from the above trans finally died and sent balls inside, killing lots of parts. The ring and pinion went bad from use and torque, not because of the ball bearings.   

8 minutes ago, steinberg55 said:

My luck with stock third was not as good as yours.  I have a EJ25 w/ EJ20 turbo , stock 091 3rd third gear lasted 3 trips, when the car was first finished in 08. They aren't very strong because they are fine tooth, meant for quite cruising. At the time, everyone said I'd blow out third fast. I didn't think it would only be trips. A non turbo 2.0 will have significantly less torque and if its in a lighter car that will help. 

Built the 091 and it lasted 11 years. the same stock old main bearing from the above trans finally died and sent balls inside, killing lots of parts. The ring and pinion went bad from use and torque, not because of the ball bearings.   

Yeah the 2.5 makes more torque for sure. I had a stock 2.0 turbo with my 091. 

Anyway you go, good rule of thumb is to always have more trans than engine.  Its always money well spent up front.