Jake69chevy

Renegade Freightliner FL70 Motorhome?

1) Anyone have one of these Renegade Freightliner FL70 Motorhomes? I am thinking long term  and I think a stacker trailer is probably what I will need with 3 kids. I usually go to Pismo, but I haven't bought a trailer yet because I think we will start going to Glamis soon once they shut the rest of Pismo down.  Do you think this Moho would stop/pull a stacker with ease legally? For the sake of conversation, lets say 8,500 pounds dry, 22 foot trailer or so to keep it legal in California, loaded with a 5 seater 2,200 pound dune buggy down below, and a 1,000 pound 2 seater CanAm SXS up top. 

2) Also, would I need a non commercial Class A license to drive this beast?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1998-Renegade-CUSTOM-5010630670

I think with that 270hp motor...it would pull it,  just not very well.

9 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

I think with that 270hp motor...it would pull it,  just not very well.

I agree. Look for a larger power plant. The newer ones commonly have a 450hp Mercedes or Detroit in them. Much better than the Cat 3126.

12 minutes ago, 1tonfun said:

I agree. Look for a larger power plant. The newer ones commonly have a 450hp Mercedes or Detroit in them. Much better than the Cat 3126.

And I agree with you there. However, it's gotta be better than a Ford Class C with the V10 though right? (If I went with the Ford V10 Class C obviously I wouldn't get a stacker and I would get as long of a flatbed as I could while staying legal).

Here is something close to the same price that would meet my needs:

https://stockton.craigslist.org/rvs/d/woodbridge-thor-hurricane-bunkhouse/7050648880.html

I haven’t seen a V10 Class A that has a higher tow rating than 5,000 lbs, but I could be wrong. I just sold a 35’ Winnebago sightseer bunkhouse with the v10. I wouldn’t have felt terribly comfortable with much more than 5k lbs behind it. But it all depends on where you’re towing. Hills would be a problem both up and down. But if you’re flat ground, it could work.  If a stacker is in your future, then so is a DP or at least a super C with diesel power plant. My parents have a 34’ super C with the GM 5500 chassis and Duramax/Allison combo with a 10,000 lb rating. They tow a 20’ enclosed with ease. The Renegade in your first post should get the job done, certainly way better than the Hurricane with V10.

Edited by shiggins37

Always remember ; if you max out on tow capacity, it will feel like your maxed out on tow capacity every minute of every drive. I tow my enclosed 8 miles from dunes edge storage to gecko and I white knuckle every second of it and I'm about 1000 pounds under the 7700# rating. 

I had that very same Renegade MH back in the early 2000's.  I had the Cat tuned up to just over 300 HP.  I pulled a 35 Ft Renegade Stacker (yes way over legal length, but was never hassled once) loaded with a Ford Focus, 2 Golf Carts, 4 Jr Dragsters, my Harley Softail and probably well over 1000 lbs of tools and spare parts.  We raced all over the country and it pulled some of the worst grades with ease.   I could pass most Semi's on the grades.   The rig also handled crosswinds created by passing semi's with no issues.  The front engine diesel rig is defiantly the way to go.  I have a 40 DP now with a 450 HP Cummins that doesn't do anywhere near as well towing as my old Renegade. JMHO.   And it's from tens of thousands of miles experience.  

Edited by CaliforniaSand

The Renegade rig in your link is a great deal.  Super low mileage.  If I was in the market for a MH I would jump on it.  It will tow almost whatever your little heart desires.  

5 hours ago, CaliforniaSand said:

The Renegade rig in your link is a great deal.  Super low mileage.  If I was in the market for a MH I would jump on it.  It will tow almost whatever your little heart desires.  

This is exactly what I was looking for! I knew someone would have owned one of these rigs in this group. Thank you. How much did your trailer weigh loaded?

Edited by Jake69chevy

That’s going to do exactly what you want safely and more stable than anything else except for a class 8 at 450 hp or more. It’s just not going to be the fastest up a steep grade like the grapevine or El Cajon. Nonetheless that’s only 5-10 miles of your trip anyway. 

It was very heavy.  Not only vehicles and tools but it had 2 underbelly fuel tanks,  one for the generator and one for toys and an extra 100 gallons of water that I could transfer to the MH.    I never took it over a scale fully loaded but if you do the math it was really close to 20k pounds.    And yes like Jo Blo says the steep grades will pull you down to 45 MPH but that's only a few miles of your trip.   We raced at the Finals at Bandimere Speedway in Denver every season and the grades on the 70 are wicked but it pulled them without any trouble.  If your going with a 22 ft stacker I doubt  it will be over 5 or 6000 empty.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaSand said:

It was very heavy.  Not only vehicles and tools but it had 2 underbelly fuel tanks,  one for the generator and one for toys and an extra 100 gallons of water that I could transfer to the MH.    I never took it over a scale fully loaded but if you do the math it was really close to 20k pounds.    And yes like Jo Blo says the steep grades will pull you down to 45 MPH but that's only a few miles of your trip.   We raced at the Finals at Bandimere Speedway in Denver every season and the grades on the 70 are wicked but it pulled them without any trouble.  If your going with a 22 ft stacker I doubt  it will be over 5 or 6000 empty.

What kind of mileage did you get (towing/not towing)?

Not as bad as you might think.  Diesels don't react to weight as much as they do speed.  If I kept it at 60 mph it would get right at 10 mpg.  It's when you get up to 70 - 75 is when they really get thirsty.  It would drop to around 7 at the high speeds.  Which is legal in almost all states except wonderful (NOT) California.  Since we did a lot of out of state trips that was an issue but if most of your trips are in CA your supposed to stay at 55 so it shouldn't be an issue for you.  That's of course if you really can drive 55.  I'm like Sammy Hagar,   I never could and still can't.  Most ridiculous law on the books.  LOL

7 hours ago, CaliforniaSand said:

Yeah!! That is a smoking deal for that rig.   I opened the link expecting a lot more. 

40 minutes ago, CaliforniaSand said:

Not as bad as you might think.  Diesels don't react to weight as much as they do speed.  If I kept it at 60 mph it would get right at 10 mpg.  It's when you get up to 70 - 75 is when they really get thirsty.  It would drop to around 7 at the high speeds.  Which is legal in almost all states except wonderful (NOT) California.  Since we did a lot of out of state trips that was an issue but if most of your trips are in CA your supposed to stay at 55 so it shouldn't be an issue for you.  That's of course if you really can drive 55.  I'm like Sammy Hagar,   I never could and still can't.  Most ridiculous law on the books.  LOL

That’s CA saying f*** the working guy that get paid by the mile.  I’ve always felt bad for those guys in ca.  That law is just plain stupid. 

13 hours ago, Jake69chevy said:

1) Anyone have one of these Renegade Freightliner FL70 Motorhomes? I am thinking long term  and I think a stacker trailer is probably what I will need with 3 kids. I usually go to Pismo, but I haven't bought a trailer yet because I think we will start going to Glamis soon once they shut the rest of Pismo down.  Do you think this Moho would stop/pull a stacker with ease legally? For the sake of conversation, lets say 8,500 pounds dry, 22 foot trailer or so to keep it legal in California, loaded with a 5 seater 2,200 pound dune buggy down below, and a 1,000 pound 2 seater CanAm SXS up top. 

2) Also, would I need a non commercial Class A license to drive this beast?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1998-Renegade-CUSTOM-5010630670

I would double-check your weights.  What 5 seat rail do you have that's only 2,200 lbs?  My 2-seat Potter which didn't have needless stuff like a stereo, fancy interior, etc. was over 2,600lbs.  What CanAm SxS is only 1k lbs?  A 2 seat X3 RS is about 1,650lbs DRY 100% stock.  Add a better cage, harnesses, comms, stereo, tool kit etc. and you're pushing 2k pretty quickly.  

My 20' stacker was relatively "light" at 7,500-ish by itself (it was a hoist style platform stacker, not a hydraulic lift) and it was pushing 14k pretty easy with the Potter, a 2 seat XP Turbo, a loaded tool box, all the crap that gets thrown in the trailer, and even more once the 100 gallons of water and 156 gallons of fuel was added.  

I had a 450/1250 HP/TQ 8.9L Cummins ISL and I would say with the stacker it was "adequate" on the steepest grades.  Of course, that coach itself was very heavy, over 40k lbs itself so something like that Renegade you posted is probably 15-20k+ lighter itself.  

As for a V10 gas class A for towing ANY trailer that will have a buggy + SxS.... NO, no, no, no and NO.  I had a later-model V10 A with the 3-valve heads and the 5 speed Torqueshift and it struggled with a 20' flatbed trailer with 2 SxSs on it and struggled on the rolling hills going up 5 North of me (above Sac) to the Oregon dunes. 

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

2 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

I would double-check our weights.  What 5 seat rail do you have that's only 2,200 lbs?  My 2-seat Potter which didn't have needless stuff like a stereo, fancy interior, etc. was over 2,600lbs.  What CanAm SxS is only 1k lbs?  A 2 seat X3 RS is about 1,650lbs DRY 100% stock.  Add a better cage, harnesses, comms, stereo, tool kit etc. and you're pushing 2k pretty quickly.  

My 20' stacker was relatively "light" at 7,500-ish by itself (it was a hoist style platform stacker, not a hydraulic lift) and it was pushing 14k pretty easy with the Potter, a 2 seat XP Turbo, a loaded tool box, all the crap that gets thrown in the trailer, and even more once the 100 gallons of water and 156 gallons of fuel was added.  

I had a 450/1250 HP/TQ 8.9L Cummins ISL and I would say with the stacker it was "adequate" on the steepest grades.  Of course, that coach itself was very heavy, over 40k lbs itself so something like that Renegade you posted is probably 15k+ lighter itself.  

-TJ

I agree 100% and I appreciate it.  I haven't weighed the rail yet and  I don't own any of the other wish list items. I am just going off random hopeful magical google numbers. 

Cat 3126 diesel with 270hp, 800 lb/ft torque. Allison 6 speed auto. 

Pfft...that Rig was made for towing. Do it like California Sand already said....tens of thousands of miles experience.

One more thing.  I went from my Renegade to a 40 ft DP with 450 HP but I'm telling you right now it doesn't tow any where near as nice.  Having the weight of the motor and tranny up front makes for a much less white knuckle drive when it's windy or when semis pass you.  With my DP i definatly feel the wind trying to pull and push me around.  Two hands on the wheel when it's windy or I see a semi barreling up on my left.  With my Renegade it was  one finger on the wheel and she was dead straight all the time.  Sure I love my 4 slide outs, the big kitchen and the panoramic view you get with a bus style coach but for towing I wish I had my Renegade back for sure.   

13 minutes ago, CaliforniaSand said:

One more thing.  I went from my Renegade to a 40 ft DP with 450 HP but I'm telling you right now it doesn't tow any where near as nice.  Having the weight of the motor and tranny up front makes for a much less white knuckle drive when it's windy or when semis pass you.  With my DP i definatly feel the wind trying to pull and push me around.  Two hands on the wheel when it's windy or I see a semi barreling up on my left.  With my Renegade it was  one finger on the wheel and she was dead straight all the time.  Sure I love my 4 slide outs, the big kitchen and the panoramic view you get with a bus style coach but for towing I wish I had my Renegade back for sure.   

I don't disagree... but not EVERY 40' DP will be like that.  My 40' was 1-hand on the wheel with or without the stacker, wind or no wind, passing semis or not.  Of course, as I stated before it weighed over 40klbs itself, which helps with stability.  It was also a tag-axle, which is more rare in 40'ers.  It also sat on 315 tires, again a bit uncommon and finally it had "Comfort Drive" which I assumed was a gimick until I drove it.  

Anyway, 90% of the time you're right... but there are some 40' DPs that will tow a big stacker like a dream. 

-TJ

My 40 ft do with no tag never gets blown around I pull a 28 foot enclosed 3500# car, water, tools etc. 

I bet it's the make and size of tires that has sone effect.  My coach weight 35k loaded

24 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

I don't disagree... but not EVERY 40' DP will be like that.  My 40' was 1-hand on the wheel with or without the stacker, wind or no wind, passing semis or not.  Of course, as I stated before it weighed over 40klbs itself, which helps with stability.  It was also a tag-axle, which is more rare in 40'ers.  It also sat on 315 tires, again a bit uncommon and finally it had "Comfort Drive" which I assumed was a gimick until I drove it.  

Anyway, 90% of the time you're right... but there are some 40' DPs that will tow a big stacker like a dream. 

-TJ

Yes you are absolutely correct.  A tag axle makes a HUGE difference and along with the big rubber and comfort drive you can't get any better than that.  But now were're in a completely different class of DP.  The MEGA MONEY  class.  LOL   The 40k for the Renegade he's looking at wouldn't even make a down payment for what your talking about.   That being said I totally agree with you.  I think I'm going to go buy a Lottery ticket.

9 minutes ago, 2011BFD said:

My 40 ft do with no tag never gets blown around I pull a 28 foot enclosed 3500# car, water, tools etc. 

I bet it's the make and size of tires that has sone effect.  My coach weight 35k loaded

I'm not saying I get "blown around" but I can definatley feel the cross winds and I never did in my Renegade.  I'm sure the chassis the coach is built on has a lot to do with it also.   Mine is on a Freightliner but there are other and I'm sure better chassis.   Spartan and Oshkoch come to mind.  But I think Freightliner bought Oshkoch a while back.  I know  there are others but can't think of them right now. Then Prevost and Newell but again another whole ball game.

Little interior update and that's a fine rig!