Jump to content
BLDrinker

12V to dual 6V upgrade.

Recommended Posts

First weekend out in the new trailer I found myself jump starting the generator at 4am freezing my ass off because the battery died trying to run the heater all night. 
 

In the middle of my cussing fest I vowed to never have this problem again!! 
 

Enter today’s project! 
 

Headed to Sams club in Ontario at 6AM. 
Wife spent a fortune on groceries and I spent a fortune on Batteries. $700 trip to Sams club is always a good start to the weekend.  
 

Batteries were $125 each with $18 core. They had an option for $90 each but it had less Amp Hours. So obviously bigger is better!!! 
 

Earlier in the week I ordered a dual battery box from Amazon. 
 

First on the task is get the 12V out. 
 

Next up cut some angle iron out to make room. 
 

Then with more angle iron and some bolts I made a new box for the batteries to sit in. 
 

Tossed in the new Batteries wired them up and I was done. 
 

We are heading out next Saturday hopefully these bad boys get us through the night!!! 
 

12v is brand new and for sale if interested $60

A0C037A8-8C0A-411B-83D9-2FEE81A07B5B.jpeg

164E94BF-9330-40FD-8670-D32A279BC392.jpeg

99667336-71F6-48D3-A08A-8949325A4D78.jpeg

EB4B2231-E49C-4EE9-80EF-6025C1E2DF8B.jpeg

0541F937-A8EE-4C24-BD19-944F4A4FB3E1.jpeg

D0829E4C-0FBD-48D9-92C4-CFB0E0F62642.jpeg

A9F485FA-6A46-4BE8-8AC1-A20E4CE64093.jpeg

7A06E91D-2DC7-47C7-B59F-F3E6AD8EF8F6.jpeg

93C96DB9-16C1-4CF4-A511-6B44E7693312.jpeg

6CFC4D35-DDE8-4D9F-B001-C7D66B70984C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The single 12v was never gonna survive the night.

You have the space, put 2 more 6v in there.  Last trip out with my old TH (first with 4 6v) I didn't have to charge them once.  Heater all night, water pump, lights, ect. 

Do it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

The single 12v was never gonna survive the night.

You have the space, put 2 more 6v in there.  Last trip out with my old TH (first with 4 6v) I didn't have to charge them once.  Heater all night, water pump, lights, ect. 

Do it...

If these don’t make it through the night I probably will add 2 more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll thank yourself for doing it prior to realizing you need it.  Blower motors are hungry bitches.

Just sayin'..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike

nice upgrade. I use 4 6 volts and will never go back. They are awesome.

if you can get a solar pannel and keep em topped off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run 4 6v myself. Heater runs all night with no issues. Also, trailer sits all summer  without being plugged in and will fire the genny off no problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya to bad u didn't set it up for 4 of them, looks good  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

You'll thank yourself for doing it prior to realizing you need it.  Blower motors are hungry bitches.

Just sayin'..

My old trailer made it on 1 12v

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, POULE43 said:

Mike

nice upgrade. I use 4 6 volts and will never go back. They are awesome.

if you can get a solar pannel and keep em topped off 

I have a 220w panel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

ya to bad u didn't set it up for 4 of them, looks good  

Have to draw the line somewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BLDrinker said:

If these don’t make it through the night I probably will add 2 more. 

It's not just a matter of "making it through the night", it really boils down to "what is the Voltage in the morning just before you start recharging them?" If you're anywhere down near 12.0V or below, then you need 4 of them. Even if you're at  12.3v in the morning, the battery bank will last much longer if it has plenty of reserve in the morning and was discharged less than a smaller battery bank. Boat owners will often get 8 yrs or more out of a set because they have larger banks and discharge them only 20 - 25%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

It's not just a matter of "making it through the night", it really boils down to "what is the Voltage in the morning just before you start recharging them?" If you're anywhere down near 12.0V or below, then you need 4 of them. Even if you're at  12.3v in the morning, the battery bank will last much longer if it has plenty of reserve in the morning and was discharged less than a smaller battery bank. Boat owners will often get 8 yrs or more out of a set because they have larger banks and discharge them only 20 - 25%

I did read that taking them below 12.0 will reduce life.  
dont really want to buy 2 more  For the price of 4 I could have just bought a 2000w gen and ran it non stop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You get free gas to run a gen non stop? That's awesome! Your neighbors would love you lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BLDrinker said:

My old trailer made it on 1 12v

Until 4:00 am ..... 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Until 4:00 am ..... 😀

Nope it went all night. Kinda like me when I was younger 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ocotillo Boy said:

You get free gas to run a gen non stop? That's awesome! Your neighbors would love you lol!

Good I don’t want neighbors. I go camping to get away from people. 
And if you have to worry about the price of gas for a generator you have the wrong hobby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have to worry about the price of two more batteries you have the wrong hobby lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 should run the heater all night no problem switch to LED bulbs too.I have 2 6v batts and kids will watch tv in morning and wife in evening they will just leave it on if they head outside so they dont have to restart the power inverter.

I will usually run the gen in the evening for about 3-4 hrs and batts are still good in the morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ocotillo Boy said:

If you have to worry about the price of two more batteries you have the wrong hobby lol

Not worried,  but I try not to buy stuff for no reason Either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 77charger said:

2 should run the heater all night no problem switch to LED bulbs too.I have 2 6v batts and kids will watch tv in morning and wife in evening they will just leave it on if they head outside so they dont have to restart the power inverter.

I will usually run the gen in the evening for about 3-4 hrs and batts are still good in the morning

Everything is LED already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BLDrinker said:

Everything is LED already. 

Should be good and I’ve drained mine low a few times the 6v can take a beating vs a 12v I know I would have killed a 12v. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BLDrinker said:

My old trailer made it on 1 12v

I’ve never had a problem with just one battery.  I only have a 27’ tag though.  I assume bigger trailers take a lot of juice to heat up.  Maybe  running the Honda 2000 through out the day keeps a fresh back feed charge on my battery.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...