Sign in to follow this  
Cookie

Honda 3.5 popping

Sorry it wouldn't let me post to Sandrail forums, so here it is...…..

Honda 3.5 turbo (roughly 9 lbs of boost running on E85.  So here is the issue, if I mash the throttle down, I get popping and not a lot of power (not always consistent as well).  If I ease into the skinny pedal, it runs strong.  AEM computer

Here is what I have done so far:

Replace all the fuel filters

Replace spark plugs

Found a small vacuum leak, fixed that. This helped a lot.

Double check fuel pressure under load, stays at 60 psi and never moves

Check the fuel to make sure it was E85 as well

My thoughts are this, it is either a MAF sensor or injector(s), anyone have any other solutions before I put it on a dyno?

Thanks GD

Is it a new issue or has it been that way since the AEM was added?  Have you tried data logging with the AEM to see what load cells you are in when you roll into it versus 'flooring' it? 

MAP or TPS

Does it have a boost fooler on the map sensor? Those don't like to see boost right? Have seen the little check valve deal go bad and mess up the acceleration

1 hour ago, 1newbie said:

Is it a new issue or has it been that way since the AEM was added?  Have you tried data logging with the AEM to see what load cells you are in when you roll into it versus 'flooring' it? 

new issue, had the car for 4 years with zero issues with the AEM.  Started last trip, felt like a lean situation, thus I replaced fuel filters first.

1 hour ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

MAP or TPS

I was thinking the same thing

32 minutes ago, 2turbofords said:

Does it have a boost fooler on the map sensor? Those don't like to see boost right? Have seen the little check valve deal go bad and mess up the acceleration

No idea, not sure what either of these things are, Boost Fooler or Check valve.

Doesn't the AEM series 2 have a MAP built into the ECU?  The stock MAP isn't capable of reading positive pressure accurately.  It would be crazy to have to use a Missing link with this ECU...

Although, there are OE like replacements that DO read up to 4 BAR. 

2 screw 

1 scerw

The AEM Series 2 has support (0-5v) for a separate MAP sensor.  My Series 2 uses an external AEM 3 bar MAP sensor plumbed to the intake manifold with vacuum hose.

what is the sparkplug type and gap?

2 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

what is the sparkplug type and gap?

Running NGK R  ZFR5F 11

GAP .038

plug.jpg

right plug but I would use a ZFR "6" plug  but yours will work.  gap is not even close.  put it down to .025"

Close up the plug gap it might be blowing the spark out.

I assumed it did not have a boost fooler or check valve type but you never know if it was  removed when the computer was upgraded.  I agree plug gap sounds big. Could be  possible to have a  dirty air cleaner not getting enough air once you get on it hard? I chased popping problems for a couple hours last time I went out with the buggy, and then realized my air cleaners were both super dirty. Ran perfect without them installed, so I cleaned them in a ran like a beast again.

13 hours ago, 2turbofords said:

I assumed it did not have a boost fooler or check valve type but you never know if it was  removed when the computer was upgraded.  I agree plug gap sounds big. Could be  possible to have a  dirty air cleaner not getting enough air once you get on it hard? I chased popping problems for a couple hours last time I went out with the buggy, and then realized my air cleaners were both super dirty. Ran perfect without them installed, so I cleaned them in a ran like a beast again.

I thought the same thing with the air cleaners, cleaned them to eliminate an easy fix.

16 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

right plug but I would use a ZFR "6" plug  but yours will work.  gap is not even close.  put it down to .025"

Funny thing, I replaced plugs in the off season, and just put what was in there and gapped how they were...………...I would be stoked if this fixes it.  I am going to regap plugs and replace both the TPS and MAP sensor, they are still stock and original, can't hurt.

Thanks everyone, love GD

Just now, Cookie said:

Funny thing, I replaced plugs in the off season, and just put what was in there and gapped how they were...………...I would be stoked if this fixes it.  I am going to regap plugs and replace both the TPS and MAP sensor, they are still stock and original, can't hurt.

Thanks everyone, love GD

i wouldn't waste money on either one of those until you do the plug regapping first.  

5 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

i wouldn't waste money on either one of those until you do the plug regapping first.  

Not bad to keep as spares on the thing anyway.

Definitely agree on the plug gap.  0.038 and boosted E85 isn't a good combo.

13 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

perfect, won't be able to test it out until the Regatta though.  

Thanks

The TPS is riveted on.  Not easily replaced. 

Just wanted to give everyone an update, John was right.  Gapped the plugs at .025 and the car runs great.  Thanks GD.com for the help as always.

Thanks for the update, great to hear it was simple!

PM sent

On 3/2/2020 at 1:45 PM, Cookie said:

Just wanted to give everyone an update, John was right.  Gapped the plugs at .025 and the car runs great.  Thanks GD.com for the help as always.

Did the same thing with my car. Replaced the plugs and left the factory gap. It was .034 and I thought my motor was going south. Was camped with John and his group and they said change the gap. Gap is very important with boosted motors.  I'm old school and would have never thought about the gap being that important. Re-gapped my plugs and the car runs great now! Thanks again John, Marco, and Brian.

53 minutes ago, Air450 said:

Did the same thing with my car. Replaced the plugs and left the factory gap. It was .034 and I thought my motor was going south. Was camped with John and his group and they said change the gap. Gap is very important with boosted motors.  I'm old school and would have never thought about the gap being that important. Re-gapped my plugs and the car runs great now! Thanks again John, Marco, and Brian.

Funny thing, I know better.  I have grown up around motors and we always re-gapped the plugs for every engine, for some reason I just completely brain farted on this one.  But that being said, we don't change plugs out as much as we did 25 years ago.  And then put boost into the equation and it becomes very noticeable.