dos rios

Flaming on quads

Quad guy here.  Like others here, most the hate goes to SxS and the ilk that drive them.

They do provide entertainment with the constant fires, break down and stripped in the dunes, vague requests for help/snow cat # or crushed front ends after a jump.

Nothing like the feel of a clutch lever and the twist of a throttle going thru the gears! Peace

09_YFZ_450.jpg

Bumble Bee and Boyz.JPG

Even if the sign and drive SxS people were saints of the earth the ruts the SxS's  make in the dunes make it so Quad riders just get beat to death.  Hell last weekend by Saturday night the dunes were so tore up I was miserable in my SxS.

Dang, I just discovered how messed up I am.  I have a sandrail, a RZR and a quad.  I guess I need to buy a 2 wheeler, so I can fit in any category for flaming!!

Instant gratification. Buy, buy. buy,. I would never finance a toy and the only way I ever been able to have a sand car is to build it myself, remember those days?

I guess I'm not cool : ( 

I'm a  4.5 point offender off the "Flamed on club"  HAHAH

Quads = 1 point

SXS = 1 point

Non Turbo SXS = .5 points

Gas RV = 1 point

Non Stacker enclosed = 1 point 

These topics always amuse me. Skaters VS. BMX , Jet skis VS. Boats , Surfers vs body boarders, blah blah blah

If the sand is clean a quad is always the most fun for me. 

Everyone gets to choose how they spend their ( the banks ) money.  

toys.jpg

Unknown-1.jpeg

10 hours ago, dos rios said:

I guess what I don’t get are the dudes who are all about sandrails, SxSs, 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers but will dis on quads.

Old Guys in a cage have no place to talk their crap on Quads, 3 Wheeler or MX guys. Unless you ARE still rocking the single port VW, non IRS beam car...most of my respect goes to you and your spine... LOL

3 Wheeler's have some clout...they earned it.

2 Wheeler's are young thugs, they'll get old one day too :lol:

15 hours ago, Esco said:

they look nice but If I went sand flea I would get a Talon

image.png

If you go Sand Flea neither would be the right choice, unless you add the turbo kit to the Honda.   Kawi for the trails all day long.    Much more stout than the Honda. 

9 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Old Guys in a cage have no place to talk their crap on Quads, 3 Wheeler or MX guys. Unless you ARE still rocking the single port VW, non IRS beam car...most of my respect goes to you and your spine... LOL

3 Wheeler's have some clout...they earned it.

2 Wheeler's are young thugs, they'll get old one day too :lol:

Every time I see a beam car running around I cringe thinking how painful that has to be with the condition of the dunes these days.  Those chatter bumps could kill your kidney in an old beam VW car.

Anyone still rocking a 3 wheeler in the dunes is a badass.  

I still ride my quad, but that is because my kid makes me.  When the dunes are beat up it is no fun.

Edited by Sand Shark

Till the day I die !!!

36463D00-C568-42D7-B529-EAE8A586C6CA.jpeg

People still ride 4 wheel couches?  ? 

2 hours ago, MWB said:

Even if the sign and drive SxS people were saints of the earth the ruts the SxS's  make in the dunes make it so Quad riders just get beat to death.  Hell last weekend by Saturday night the dunes were so tore up I was miserable in my SxS.

I thought the dunes were pretty decent last weekend on the quad.  Far better than the week between Christmas and New Years.    There were no trenches trying to swallow my quad.

If you were miserable in your SXS it is time to get the shocks set up to smooth out the ride.

Edited by Sand Shark

3 hours ago, CHEFF said:

Nothing like the feel of a clutch lever and the twist of a throttle going thru the gears! Peace

09_YFZ_450.jpg

Bumble Bee and Boyz.JPG

Hey CHEFF, how do you twist a thumb throttle? :bigrin 

22 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Every time I see a beam car running around I cringe thinking how painful that has to be with the condition of the dunes these days.  Those chatter bumps could kill your kidney in an old beam VW car.

Anyone still rocking a 3 wheeler in the dunes is a badass.  

I still ride my quad, but that is because my kid makes me.  When the dunes are beat up it is no fun.

Between Christmas and New Years was pretty rough, but still tolerable for ye olde Beam.

Didn't ride the 3 wheeler, mainly because the front tire on my 1st gen ATC250R isn't the easiest to find locally these days (most tires wide enough are flat profile). 

20 minutes ago, South Bay said:

People still ride 4 wheel couches?  ? 

Would this question also apply to SxSs ?? 

Different topic, but SxS have ruined (most) trail riding for me.  There are only a few (semi secret ) spots left where one can ride without their infestation . . .

4 hours ago, CHEFF said:

09_YFZ_450.jpg

Bumble Bee and Boyz.JPG

How do you twist a thumb throttle ?  LOL!  First thing you should change if you chose to ride a quad,

6 minutes ago, South Bay said:

Different topic, but SxS have ruined (most) trail riding for me.  There are only a few (semi secret ) spots left where one can ride without their infestation . . .

I agree, on my Motorcycle, I won't ride Ocotillo, Dove Springs, or Mammoth anymore, seen too many head on's or close calls.  A lot of SxS think they are Robbie Gordon on the roads anymore.  I still can find some good safer riding in Johnson Valley for desert.  Other than that, my Motorcycle riding is all in the Mountains anymore, Kennedy Meadows and local secret trails and such.  It is what it is, have to live with it.  Back on topic...…………….just an FYI, Quads ruined a lot of Single track in the desert years ago as well.

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Wife’s X3 has a hello kitty sticker on it. Does that make it flaming?

Only when you're driving...……...

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Between Christmas and New Years was pretty rough, but still tolerable for ye olde Beam.

That last time coming back from China Wall when you had the axle issue in the Can Am and we hit that super bumpy section...…...it destroyed my back for a week.

I look at it this way, the sport is always evolving and there is always something newer and better on the horizon. We all just fit in to the sport where ever we can ( weather that be financially, socially, skill level, etc.). Who cares what your riding, as long as your not acting like a douche, then I say tear it up on your 2 wheeler, 3 wheeler, Rhino, RZR, beam car, 100K car, or electric power wheels quad around camp ! There is my .02 spent.

I have the 36' toybox and Diesel the YXZ (and I wish a Rail) but this weekend I am just stealing my sons YFZ450R and sleeping in the back of my truck. Nothing like the good of days of leaving late on Friday and being wore out by Sunday afternoon and a short 3 hr drive back to Phoenix with nothing the clean or unload but the truck and quad.

1 hour ago, spize909 said:

That last time coming back from China Wall when you had the axle issue in the Can Am and we hit that super bumpy section...…...it destroyed my back for a week.

Should've seen the run between the washes and Olds after you left...

We  bring the rail, sxs,  2 kids quads, atc 70 and my wife's z400. Sometimes I'll bring the cr 500. When the kids and wife are riding their quads I love to lead on the 70. Sometimes I'll ride the wife's 400 and and she follows in the sxs.

It's all fun....

22 hours ago, Sumsand said:

Till the day I die !!!

36463D00-C568-42D7-B529-EAE8A586C6CA.jpeg

Love that quad. Had the same one! Peace