Jump to content
Rockwood

Rockwood's Jeep XJ Build

Recommended Posts

Did you use anything special to get the undercoating off prior to welding in the frame stiffeners?  Seams some really struggle with it.

Wanting to tighten up the steering with the x-over/1 ton kit, figured the frame kit would be a decent buy too..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old boss has this XJ:

zXA1YoR.jpg

I was just talking to him... and he mentioned he was trying to chase down some slop in the steering.  He found some worn out joints and stuff... so he replaced 'em and went to give it a feel.  He had somebody wiggle the wheel and could see the slop was gone in the steering gear.  He got in the Heep and wiggled the wheel and was still getting lots of steering wheel movement before he saw the tires move...

 

 

 

 

...then he noticed as he moved the steering wheel his bumper was moving back 'n forth.  Ruh roh.  He's looking at: http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/BWE-Comp-Mount_p_14.html to fix it.  Maybe something to think about before the steering box and your whole front end try to rip out of the Jeep. 

 

-TJ

 

Edited by tjZ06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not seeing how that is better than a steering box plate, and beefy bumper...minus the lower support.

Both of which I have.  My whip is kinda second hand chit built.  When I turn it squeaks, creeks, and pops.  Shits worn.  While driving it I look like I'm mixing phat beets....:dunerdude:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

I'm not seeing how that is better than a steering box plate, and beefy bumper...minus the lower support.

Both of which I have.  My whip is kinda second hand chit built.  When I turn it squeaks, creeks, and pops.  Shits worn.  While driving it I look like I'm mixing phat beets....:dunerdude:

My whole steering column moves like 2” pretty ghetto. I know it’s gonn fall in my lap one day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These misalignment spacers are excessive.  Could be less than half as tall...WAY less leverage on the bolt.  Did this come with the kit?

Could also help limit the tube "swing" and ultimate clanging (you added rubber) if the rod end rested on the pitman arm.

 

image.png.e8572ed86e4e77da4cc804845bc2b816.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That might not even be the right kit, or the complete fix for him.  That was just what I thought he said it was... he hasn't ordered yet AFAIK, so not sure if what he's getting sets the steering up exactly like that pic.  FWIW he already has a pretty beefy bumper, but obv it wasn't enough.  I think a lot of his problems started when he tried to winch a big Winnebago onto a trailer and things got bound up... 

 

-TJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Did you use anything special to get the undercoating off prior to welding in the frame stiffeners?  Seams some really struggle with it.

Wanting to tighten up the steering with the x-over/1 ton kit, figured the frame kit would be a decent buy too..

I usually use the harbor freight poly discs:

94017_W3_1.jpg

Work great. 

On 2/20/2020 at 8:38 PM, Kraut_n_Rice said:

I'm not seeing how that is better than a steering box plate, and beefy bumper...minus the lower support.

Both of which I have.  My whip is kinda second hand chit built.  When I turn it squeaks, creeks, and pops.  Shits worn.  While driving it I look like I'm mixing phat beets....:dunerdude:

The creams and pops are usually the frame telling you to eff* off. Lol. Beef the rails before it ends up like mine. 

On 2/20/2020 at 9:13 PM, Kraut_n_Rice said:

These misalignment spacers are excessive.  Could be less than half as tall...WAY less leverage on the bolt.  Did this come with the kit?

Could also help limit the tube "swing" and ultimate clanging (you added rubber) if the rod end rested on the pitman arm.

 

image.png.e8572ed86e4e77da4cc804845bc2b816.png

Never thought of that. Might try it, though it does articulate quite a bit fully flexed and turned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And....

Whoops. 

178FBCC1-BCF6-4D24-A904-553F34C13ED5.thumb.jpeg.e4b1fdf96546162db2261463006769aa.jpeg

Sheared the locating pin on the driver’s side leaf spring. Kept looking at the front steering/track bar because it wouldn’t track. Noticed the rear when I got home (towed, luckily). Cheap/easy fix at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While cutting of the short arm brackets Saturday..I think I found the cause of the loose steering and noises.  The track bar drop mount hardware was very loose, and the bolt that mounts it to the axle was also loose.  Didn't really get a chance to drive it when I was done.  It was late, and I was beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

While cutting of the short arm brackets Saturday..I think I found the cause of the loose steering and noises.  The track bar drop mount hardware was very loose, and the bolt that mounts it to the axle was also loose.  Didn't really get a chance to drive it when I was done.  It was late, and I was beat.

Nice find. My steering box and track bar kept doing the same, think the frame was flexing enough to let them get loose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2020 at 6:44 PM, Rockwood said:

And....

Whoops. 

178FBCC1-BCF6-4D24-A904-553F34C13ED5.thumb.jpeg.e4b1fdf96546162db2261463006769aa.jpeg

Sheared the locating pin on the driver’s side leaf spring. Kept looking at the front steering/track bar because it wouldn’t track. Noticed the rear when I got home (towed, luckily). Cheap/easy fix at least. 

Just a Jeep doing Jeep things!  But seriously, glad it didn't get ugly on the freeway or something...

 

-TJ
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

Just a Jeep doing Jeep things!  But seriously, glad it didn't get ugly on the freeway or something...

 

-TJ
 

Yeah, we were doing over 60 down Pole Line Rd.  Could've been bad...

That being said, the U-bolts were completely fine, so would've just gotten bad enough to pretzel the driveshaft and take out the transfer case.  Probably wouldn't have fallen off unless it got REALLY bad.

Edited by Rockwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Yeah, we were doing over 60 down Pole Line Rd.  Could've been bad...

That being said, the U-bolts were completely fine, so would've just gotten bad enough to pretzel the driveshaft and take out the transfer case.  Probably wouldn't have fallen off unless it got REALLY bad.

Sounds like a party...

 

-TJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took her apart.  100% my fault on this one: never re-torqued the U-bolts after replacing.  They worked themselves loose and that pin was subject to shear loads it should never have seen.  Should be re-assembling tonight if I can find a local source for grade 8 U-bolts (auto parts places only have grade 5).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All fixed up and re-torqued after 100 miles. Local axle shop bent me some new bolts. Got about a turn or so out of the inside u-bolts on each side when re-torquing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rockwood said:

All fixed up and re-torqued after 100 miles. Local axle shop bent me some new bolts. Got about a turn or so out of the inside u-bolts on each side when re-torquing. 

Nice, glad it's fixed up.  We all goof up sometimes... me more so than regular people.  ;)

 

-TJ
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tjZ06 said:

Nice, glad it's fixed up.  We all goof up sometimes... me more so than regular people.  ;)

 

-TJ
 

Yep. Odd part is the U-bolts I got from the parts store stripped when I went to re-torque the passenger side that was still intact, only 50 ft-lbs, so who knows how long that would’ve lasted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 4:14 PM, tjZ06 said:

My old boss has this XJ:

zXA1YoR.jpg

I was just talking to him... and he mentioned he was trying to chase down some slop in the steering.  He found some worn out joints and stuff... so he replaced 'em and went to give it a feel.  He had somebody wiggle the wheel and could see the slop was gone in the steering gear.  He got in the Heep and wiggled the wheel and was still getting lots of steering wheel movement before he saw the tires move...

 

 

 

 

...then he noticed as he moved the steering wheel his bumper was moving back 'n forth.  Ruh roh.  He's looking at: http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/BWE-Comp-Mount_p_14.html to fix it.  Maybe something to think about before the steering box and your whole front end try to rip out of the Jeep. 

 

-TJ

 

Just noticed this wasn't my Jeep, LOL.  Good taste, your old boss. :bigrin 

And the rear shock install has begun (Fox 12" 2.0 Emulsions).  The leaves will only use about 10" of the shock, but it'll give me room to grow in the future, especially if I get jiggy with it and 4-link the rear.

Measure 4x...

Rear_shock_1.thumb.jpg.d55df3ebc98955f1a3698703e8c8c55e.jpg

Initial chalk lines were about where the shock needed to land.  Then I flexed her out:

Flex.thumb.jpg.1f9013a3d7e8edf768f77180f0ce59bf.jpgFlex2.thumb.jpg.4e4d556835a798bff5bfe0e854deafd9.jpg

And realized there's quite a bit of wheelbase change as the leaf spring cycles.  So added the gold lines (as well as a little bit extra for coilovers). 

Drilled holes and transferred to the inside where cutting would be easier:

rear_shock_2.thumb.jpg.a933d5daa0135e707fb4a1e89d7fd368.jpg

And no turning back now:

rear_shock_3.thumb.jpg.fc67d6536fa95b5a45b361281ef6ac6e.jpg

Starting CAD'ing some shock towers, but ran out of cardboard after I screwed up the first template.  Oh well, boss was notifying me that OT wasn't approved and went inside for chow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn homie, gettin' after it!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Just noticed this wasn't my Jeep, LOL.  Good taste, your old boss. :bigrin 

And the rear shock install has begun (Fox 12" 2.0 Emulsions).  The leaves will only use about 10" of the shock, but it'll give me room to grow in the future, especially if I get jiggy with it and 4-link the rear.

Measure 4x...

Rear_shock_1.thumb.jpg.d55df3ebc98955f1a3698703e8c8c55e.jpg

Initial chalk lines were about where the shock needed to land.  Then I flexed her out:

Flex.thumb.jpg.1f9013a3d7e8edf768f77180f0ce59bf.jpgFlex2.thumb.jpg.4e4d556835a798bff5bfe0e854deafd9.jpg

And realized there's quite a bit of wheelbase change as the leaf spring cycles.  So added the gold lines (as well as a little bit extra for coilovers). 

Drilled holes and transferred to the inside where cutting would be easier:

rear_shock_2.thumb.jpg.a933d5daa0135e707fb4a1e89d7fd368.jpg

And no turning back now:

rear_shock_3.thumb.jpg.fc67d6536fa95b5a45b361281ef6ac6e.jpg

Starting CAD'ing some shock towers, but ran out of cardboard after I screwed up the first template.  Oh well, boss was notifying me that OT wasn't approved and went inside for chow.

While you’re at it may as well just 4 link it. Leafs are for trees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

While you’re at it may as well just 4 link it. Leafs are for trees. 

Meh.  I would, but got delayed because my buggy decided to shit out all the parts I transferred over from the old chassis and kept working on it instead.  Doing a 3-link up front though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Halfway there. EE70A0CF-94EA-4AB4-9006-29AF8BE47852.thumb.jpeg.67a13a3dcbad55bcb38a45cf6afc6280.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw: I really hate welding to the stock steel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And done...
EDF7C3F3-1FCB-4A04-B3E9-3CB9BB9F6534.thumb.jpeg.d1fd9c358b60c07e7f94c08ed91f5ce1.jpeg

Lost a little trunk space

47CB7939-054F-4581-B775-3A4C255A7A05.thumb.jpeg.3c5b91742bddf5b09d309d11d969bcc6.jpeg

And re-bumpstopped  it so the tires don’t munch on the fenders like a lesbian on short carpet

7F416183-F41B-4C29-8577-58C4D3466790.thumb.jpeg.169aa86f8123007202774e15ee17e68e.jpeg

Lots of droop

337ED954-B1C2-421C-888A-5BA05BB634E1.thumb.jpeg.b2b1f4e26e4a5f67192e5a48892c936a.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work!  I gotta step-up and get a welder and start practicing on scrap.  It would be so nice to be able to take on projects like that myself.  Random quick question, how often do you find you use the little fold-out table on your spare tire carrier?  I'm debating that option on the bumper/tire carrier I'm considering:  https://www.xerofabworx.com/wj-rear-bumper-tire-carrier-p/wj-rearbumper.htm

 

-TJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...