I went out to Gordons this past weekend with some buddies that just bought 4-seat Can-Am's both of them have very limited off-road experience. They both love the X3 and think the suspension is incredible. I drove one of the cars (first time driving a SxS, other than Rhino). I was impressed with the out of the box suspension but I could tell it could be a lot better. I have tuned a lot of Fox shocks. But all of them have been coilovers and/or bypasses. I have never taken apart the new style shocks with the adjusters on them. 

After reading/researching about Can-Am shocks it seems to be that no one (or not many) does their own shock work. Why is all the SxS shock tuning kept such a secret? I get the main shock tuners have to keep trade secrets but all the adjustments have to be pretty close to the same. Why re-invent the wheel? I have my suspicions that quite a few of the SxS owners are buying them and don't have the experience at tuning shocks. 

Has anyone taken the new Fox shocks apart and revalved/respringed? Are they harder/different than a normal bypass shock? 

I can give you some advice that will save you a lot of time. Replace the stock springs now! Before you do anything, replace them, they are garbage! I am by no means an expert, but I have done a lot of my own shock tuning on my sandrails and SXS. I have never revalved them, so I have zero experience with that. It took me about three weekends to get my ride height, high speed compression, low speed compression, crossover and rebound set to what I felt was best. Everyone said to replace the springs but I did not buy into that. I did notice my ride height getting lower and lower each trip without me adjusting it. Over the summer my ride height sagged almost four inches just in the garage. Anyway, I replaced the stock springs that came on the shocks with a set that Eibach recommended and I cant even describe what a difference there was in the quality of ride! Once I did that I had to redo all the other settings but I feel like I have it pretty dialed in and I have never touched the insides of the shocks. Every aspect of the ride improved! I am sure it could probably be even better if I messed with the insides, but as I have it set now, I am extremely happy. Anyway, I know this does not answer your questions about how difficult they are to take apart but hopefully it will save you some time in the long run.

99% of sxs owners have zero clue of what a shock looks like inside and all they do is write a check for their payment every month. 

With that out of the way, like above the springs sag quickly.  Eibach replacements are the ticket.

ride height, get that car to 16"+ of clearance above the ground.  This will put shock stroke in a better place to have more compression dampening and time to slow the car down before bottoming out. 

remember the canam only has 7/8" clear at full bump and you will be fighting a loosing battle with G-outs.

Internally, I have not opened one up myself.  cant help you there.  I pay others for that.

I just had my shocks redone and they add a couple more bypasses inside. Where to place those is key and I'm sure a lot of R&D to get there. I haven't put the car back together yet so we will see but everyone claims it is Magic after revalving a new Springs

1 hour ago, Punchdrunk Monkey said:

I went out to Gordons this past weekend with some buddies that just bought 4-seat Can-Am's both of them have very limited off-road experience. They both love the X3 and think the suspension is incredible. I drove one of the cars (first time driving a SxS, other than Rhino). I was impressed with the out of the box suspension but I could tell it could be a lot better. I have tuned a lot of Fox shocks. But all of them have been coilovers and/or bypasses. I have never taken apart the new style shocks with the adjusters on them. 

After reading/researching about Can-Am shocks it seems to be that no one (or not many) does their own shock work. Why is all the SxS shock tuning kept such a secret? I get the main shock tuners have to keep trade secrets but all the adjustments have to be pretty close to the same. Why re-invent the wheel? I have my suspicions that quite a few of the SxS owners are buying them and don't have the experience at tuning shocks. 

Has anyone taken the new Fox shocks apart and revalved/respringed? Are they harder/different than a normal bypass shock? 

99% of the people don't want to take apart shocks and lack the knowledge to tune shocks.  I have no desire to tinker with them.  I will gladly pay for someones to do them that has spent the hours it takes to get them set up.  Also the Fox shocks require some special tools that you either buy or if you have the means can probably rig up.  I don't think there is anything magic in the shock over other shocks other than the internal by-pass tubes.

If you want a simple way to improve the ride quality get the Eibach spring kit or come up with what you think should be the spring rates (stock springs sag out to quickly).  Set the ride height to about 16".  Then take the compression adjuster out and re-valve the stack in it.  It will open up the compression and give you the actual fine tuning adjustments.  It improves the ride quality big time.  The chatter and chop is no longer bone jarring.  

I did my shocks in stages with the help of Ed "Poundsand".  I initially bough the Eibach spring kit, which helped in the sand.  In the dirt the ride still sucked in the chatter.  Ed took out my compression adjuster and re-valved the stack.  This soften up the chatter and improved the over all ride quality.  

I eventually had him do the main valving and tweaks to the internal by-pass tubes.  That was after I drove a friend's car with the full work from Ed.   

i took mine apart you need special wrenches to get them apart the toerance for the wrench makes it almost impossible to fab up your own wrench they are a little pricey. about 350 for the 2.5 wrench set alittle over 400 for the 3.0 set kartec has them

Gotta Say I had a great experience with MTS offroad. They are in Glamis tuning and valving shocks. They did my Funco G52 and what a difference. Most of the big group we ride with have Can Am cars and they have had MTS do their shocks.  All are happy.  @PajamaGuy should really comment on this thread.

My X3 shocks were done by Tom Morris(UTV Shocks)and the results were amazing. I had also spoken to Ed Pound Sand Niemela, and he was also very sharp. It was basically a coin toss betwen him and Tom.  Best money spent is on suspension.

Edited by 1HasBeen

7 minutes ago, 1HasBeen said:

My X3 shocks were done by Tom Morris(UTV Shocks)and the results were amazing. I had also spoken to Ed Pound Sand Niemela, and he was also very sharp. It was basically a coin toss betwen him and Tom.  Best money spent is on suspension.

Mine were also revalved by Tom and I couldn't be happier.  But honestly, I think the biggest bang for the buck is having it re-sprung with Eibach springs.  The stock springs are garbage.

Again, I don't own a SxS, just curious if anyone does their own work on the shocks. I really enjoy messing around with the suspension (desert/baja cars). Testing/adjusting/testing/adjusting. It sounds like Fox made the new style shocks not as user friendly to take apart and mess with. Maybe to keep the average person going to "tuners". 

Thanks for the input. If I ever decide to join the craze, it sounds like there are a few relatively easy adjustments to improve the ride. 

For those who want to DIY,  RC cars are a great way to learn the concepts before you spend lots of time and money on your big boy car. I learned a ton about suspension tuning from putting a lot of miles and abuse on a 1/10th scale RC car. Lots of fun and beer drinking with friends in the mean time. It was really insightful to be able to see the differences in setups immediately and for so little effort. Go make some tweaks and run a race or some hot laps or whatever and see how it does through the bumps, off jumps, powering through a turn, drifting a turn, changes in camber, toe in/out, etc. Tweak on it while the batteries charge. Not only was it fairly easy to see the differences with tuning, but also recognizing how your car changes handling when the shocks blow out or something changes. So being able to recognize or feel when something is wrong is really critical.

With that knowledge I was able to correct the spring rates on my Tom Pro, getting rid of the bucking bronco syndrome, and then from there messed with the valving and preload, along with of course just having fresh seals and oil whenever I needed. The suspension on that thing was dialed in and the car ripped. With a little experience it takes about an hour to an hour and a half to get each shock off the car and rebuilt then back on plus about $25-30 for seals and oil. At first I did the new seals every season but it really wasn't necessary that often.

So for what it's worth, it's really not that hard to do.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:54 AM, jailbird said:

I can give you some advice that will save you a lot of time. Replace the stock springs now! Before you do anything, replace them, they are garbage! I am by no means an expert, but I have done a lot of my own shock tuning on my sandrails and SXS. I have never revalved them, so I have zero experience with that. It took me about three weekends to get my ride height, high speed compression, low speed compression, crossover and rebound set to what I felt was best. Everyone said to replace the springs but I did not buy into that. I did notice my ride height getting lower and lower each trip without me adjusting it. Over the summer my ride height sagged almost four inches just in the garage. Anyway, I replaced the stock springs that came on the shocks with a set that Eibach recommended and I cant even describe what a difference there was in the quality of ride! Once I did that I had to redo all the other settings but I feel like I have it pretty dialed in and I have never touched the insides of the shocks. Every aspect of the ride improved! I am sure it could probably be even better if I messed with the insides, but as I have it set now, I am extremely happy. Anyway, I know this does not answer your questions about how difficult they are to take apart but hopefully it will save you some time in the long run.

That’s great good solid advice it does really make a big difference

The biggest reason with the SxS Fox Shocks is the tooling required. It adds up quickly, especially if you break any of them.  

If anyone has specific questions I’m happy to answer them. We are lucky enough to tune quite a few of these machines every day!  

Thx Greg MTS Off-road 

72F3DF7F-BB73-4A30-9CD8-FC915C49CB0B.png

87CE61E4-FBED-4580-BB29-D7FC812137BC.jpeg

74EA9182-EA21-462F-9516-0EDB822FA953.png

71B5DF88-9F24-45FD-B1FF-515218329DAB.png

022C6AAD-96DF-48DB-A39B-94E52AB3870A.png

DD5A13F2-D342-442F-9087-1C34ED9C0FF2.jpeg

2B3CF0C3-C895-47E4-9BA9-393C72A0E666.jpeg

628C2C2B-ADF9-403C-B2D2-F67C442F331E.png