Jump to content
Kraut_n_Rice

Built J series Honda

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, DUNZ4ME said:

I'm not the guy in your group but this sounds very similar to my set up. 

I think 450-500hp is more easily achievable than most think.  Sure it will take more dollars than most put into a Honda at this point because most seem to look at them as throw away motors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a Honda pro here... isn’t the J-series a 4 cylinder? Are you talking about a V6 or 4cylinder build?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Adam G said:

Not a Honda pro here... isn’t the J-series a 4 cylinder? Are you talking about a V6 or 4cylinder build?

J series is 6 cyl. J30 is a 3.0 v6, j32 is a 3.2 v6,  and the j35 is a 3.5 v6.

A lot of guys here have run one, including me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a j35 can easily produce over 1000hp with the right turbos and internals.  for that matter a k24 can as well and its only a 4cyl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love that it blows the insulation out of the walls lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What specs would you build them to? I assume Darton sleeves? What cams and/or head work? I heard the Pauter rods are very heavy and take a lot of heavy metal to balance. Disappointing that honda didn't make more parts available from their twin turbo trophy truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly rotating assembly stuff.

Like i said, testing the waters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real horsepower is going to take darton sleeves imo or a closed deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was quoted about 2800$ for a darton sleeved block with forged rods and pistons awhile back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

I was quoted about 2800$ for a darton sleeved block with forged rods and pistons awhile back. 

that doesn't sound too  bad considering you're getting all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was that an assembled short block, or just parts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Was that an assembled short block, or just parts?

Assembled short block. I had to bring in a good block though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

I was quoted about 2800$ for a darton sleeved block with forged rods and pistons awhile back. 

I lied. It was 3500$ with a 4 week lead time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jtmoney714 said:

I lied. It was 3500$ with a 4 week lead time. 

And supply your own block?  now it seems a bit high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ltpyro said:

And supply your own block?  now it seems a bit high.

That doesn't seem too bad to me. It's not cheap to do darton sleeves and most pistons are custom although i think 2.4 pistons can work. Crower rods seem the best quality for the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 1newbie said:

That doesn't seem too bad to me. It's not cheap to do darton sleeves and most pistons are custom although i think 2.4 pistons can work. Crower rods seem the best quality for the price.

Ya I just watched a video on how they install those, its a lot of work so ya probably not that bad on price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To continue with the spit balling...

If you were a buyer, where would you be?

Pump gas and >10psi

Race gas and 10psi+

E85 and  ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

To continue with the spit balling...

If you were a buyer, where would you be?

Pump gas and >10psi

Race gas and 10psi+

E85 and  ???

Keep my dune tune at 8psi and have 15psi on a button. 50/50 race/91.  Is want my compression ratio the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to stay with gas either race gas or 50/50 I just don't want the decreased range or the problems alcohol causes. as far as boost whats the most i can run with the current T3/T4 I like the throttle response I get at low rpm pulls great down at 2000 rpm where it starts showing boost. Can I get 15 psi or more I don't mind being a little less efficient at max rpm if I can get good boost in the mid range 3000 to 5000 rpm. how about cams how much more will they cost and what would be the gain. the stock coils don't like the increased load boost causes is there an aftermarket coil that works better and longer I keep a spare in the car I can usually find and replace it in 30 minutes or less but still a pain and I'm sure more boost will mean I will lose them more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

To continue with the spit balling...

If you were a buyer, where would you be?

Pump gas and >10psi

Race gas and 10psi+

E85 and  ???

I’d be willing to go up to 50/50 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I want to stay with gas either race gas or 50/50 I just don't want the decreased range or the problems alcohol causes. as far as boost whats the most i can run with the current T3/T4 I like the throttle response I get at low rpm pulls great down at 2000 rpm where it starts showing boost. Can I get 15 psi or more I don't mind being a little less efficient at max rpm if I can get good boost in the mid range 3000 to 5000 rpm. how about cams how much more will they cost and what would be the gain. the stock coils don't like the increased load boost causes is there an aftermarket coil that works better and longer I keep a spare in the car I can usually find and replace it in 30 minutes or less but still a pain and I'm sure more boost will mean I will lose them more often.

Have tried less gap on the plugs?  You might just be straining them too much.

There are already aftermarket cams for these engine.  I can't speak for the gain in boosted applications, but they claim 10-15hp NA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 50/50 guys..

What would your WHEEL HP desires be?

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

The 50/50 guys..

What would your HP desires be?

450-500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...