CHEFF

Welcome to the RV World

Sucks!! that'll be one heck of an insurance claim.

I was in a camp ground and a guy told me while they were traveling they had stopped to eat, then continued down the road when his PT cruiser he was towing cam loose. Someone had taken the pins out of the tow bar while they were eating.  DON~~~

7 hours ago, CHEFF said:

2020 Newmar Dutch Star. 2020 Ford Raptor. Peace

I was going to say, that looks like the new Dutch Star.  I had a brand new 2017 Dutch Star I bought in '16.  Never a chassis/drivetrain problem with it, but it did have a whole host of "new coach problems" that took us most of the first  year to get sorted out.  Mine was on the Freightliner, do you know if that's the Freightliner or Spartan chassis?  What was the cause? 

Scales.thumb.jpeg.e0b3dd75072623f20a418fec9fca7ad5.jpeg

Came in at 52.5k there.  That was with my Potter and my '16 2-seat XPT in it.  RV was full of fuel and probably 2/3rd water, but the the fuel (156 gallons) and water (100 gallons) on the stacker were empty.  Probably pushed 54k+ fully, FULLY loaded.  Loooooooooong stretches of pedal to the metal (tile ;) ) on grades.  Never any heat issues, even during regen (could definitely tell a fuel consumption change during regen).  

Potter2.thumb.jpg.94718adcd9665284881c4ce227389b3d.jpg

20171020_170955.thumb.jpg.5aebe715a2edb5955885d849bd91792a.jpg

Shoulda kept that one...

6 hours ago, CHEFF said:

Hello W/O. I believe he was flat towing and the fire started in the Truck. Peace

Weird.  E-brake left on or something? 

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

That wasn't Tom was it?

Yikes bummer glad all are safe

5 hours ago, EMPIRE231 said:

Sucks!! that'll be one heck of an insurance claim.

I'd say, .5 Mil would be my guess...

1 hour ago, raspadoo said:

I'd say, .5 Mil would be my guess...

Just for the RV...then there's the Raptor.

Hope he had Insurance on everything.

15 hours ago, Stugots said:

That wasn't Tom was it?

No Sir. Not the Bald Headed Packer Faag! Peace

Got the scoop of what happened. He asked the dealer to install the TOP of the Line tow package on his motorhome. Costs around $6500 including the brake system. Picked it up Thursday night and drove it home approximately 15 miles. Woke up Friday morning and headed down Hwy 281 towards Austin, Texas. 1 1/2hr into the drive something went wrong. The guess is the Tow Package was installed wrong. YES......they're in for a heck of a legal / insurance fight. BTW...…...I took this man to Glamis one time and he was the best Rookie I've ever had out there. Ripped the Dunes all week. Played in the Sandy Golf tourney and loved it. He thought he lived on the edge until we showed him where the edge actually is. Peace

Oh man, that sucks.  Hopefully it all gets worked out . . .

On 2/10/2020 at 6:13 AM, richard h said:

Hope they got out with their pets safely.

I'm assuming they did, or they wouldn't have taken so many pics of the fire in progress, they'd have been spending their time trying to save the pets.

21 hours ago, Flip-Flop said:

Glad they’re all OK. 

Hope they get back on the road and continue. . .

The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is your attitude. 

When I was in the Navy and submerged 300+ days of the year, we used to sarcastically repeat the Navy's recruiting ad, "It's not just a job, it's an adventure!"

:lol:

3 hours ago, CHEFF said:

Got the scoop of what happened. He asked the dealer to install the TOP of the Line tow package on his motorhome. Costs around $6500 including the brake system. Picked it up Thursday night and drove it home approximately 15 miles. Woke up Friday morning and headed down Hwy 281 towards Austin, Texas. 1 1/2hr into the drive something went wrong. The guess is the Tow Package was installed wrong. YES......they're in for a heck of a legal / insurance fight. BTW...…...I took this man to Glamis one time and he was the best Rookie I've ever had out there. Ripped the Dunes all week. Played in the Sandy Golf tourney and loved it. He thought he lived on the edge until we showed him where the edge actually is. Peace

I have a new Raptor, and you electronically put it in "flat tow mode". I was wanting to flat tow my Raptor, and It was expensive to set it up, Tow hook mounts, tow bar, and then the braking system, which is one of those "brake buddy" systems. I'm speculating that the brake buddy system is what failed and it was applying the brakes until they go so hot that something failed.

I'm definitely interested in learning more.

I'm going to show this to the "boss" since I told her a couple months ago that I didn't want to flat tow the Raptor, and I wanted to just buy a Jeep or something so that if something did happen, I would only be out a jeep, not my Raptor.

im betting he didnt put the raptor in flat tow mode correctly and caused the trans in it to burn up.

What kevin said . 

22 hours ago, dbart said:

Just for the RV...then there's the Raptor.

Hope he had Insurance on everything.

No, the real-world price on a Dutch Star isn't that much, trust me I know. ;) Even MSRP isn't half a milly, and the going street-price on a new DS is 26-28% off MSRP. 

10 hours ago, CHEFF said:

Wow.  Huge bummer and I hope the legal battle isn't too bad for them.  In cases like this a lot of times the insurance company has to pay out, so at least he gets his $.  Then they go after other parties they think are at fault (like the installer of the tow package) to recoup their money.  Hopefully that's the case, and it doesn't put your buddy out of the game too long.

-TJ

There is NO way the installer of that package pays for this....cause and origin is going to be next to impossible with that much damage to the truck.  It will all be speculation, and nobody is gonna spend the money on a trial with not any evidence. Insurance will pay out and life will go on.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, Kevin said:

im betting he didnt put the raptor in flat tow mode correctly and caused the trans in it to burn up.

The dealer hooked his Raptor up. Peace

2 hours ago, CHEFF said:

The dealer hooked his Raptor up. Peace

its  a process thats easily messed up by anybody, and ultimately is the responsibility(my opinion) of your buddy that owned the truck. you have to set it in tow mode every time you want to flat tow it.

Edited by Kevin