Jump to content
ehall

Sxs carnage

Recommended Posts

He appears to have found the limit of what the front can take. Friend just sent this picture with no explanation.  Looks like a smooth gravel road. Haha

Image-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ehall said:

He appears to have found the limit of what the front can take. Friend just sent this picture with no explanation.  Looks like a smooth gravel road. Haha

Image-1.jpg

At the speed the SxS's can achieve It wouldn't take to much of a rock or rut to do that kind of damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope it wasn't a long walk home! Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CHEFF said:

Hope it wasn't a long walk home! Peace

That is the worse thing about 80mph in the desert........ Doesn't take a long time to go further than you really want to walk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking care of your equipment while driving is equally  important to having a fun time. Shiit Happens.  It sucks when you're the reason for the Beer Stop. Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These UTVs with ball joints arent up to the task of big hits. Oh and rebound on the rear..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Al Lee said:

These UTVs with ball joints arent up to the task of big hits. Oh and rebound on the rear..

Doesn't look like a ball joint failure to me.  Usually its the lower OEM arm that folds when you run out of talent and hit something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks fine, whats the issue?

 

d0mZckb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These things remond me of the early rc car days . Hit one thing you snap off a-arms . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, megadesertdiesel said:

Doesn't look like a ball joint failure to me.  Usually its the lower OEM arm that folds when you run out of talent and hit something.  

It looks to me like the lower ball joint failed on the driver's side, in addition to the tie rod on that side. Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

It looks to me like the lower ball joint failed on the driver's side, in addition to the tie rod on that side. Am I missing something?

due to the lower arm bending and letting the tire turn it let the ball joint and tie rod over extend and break.  Root cause was most likely the pre bent lower arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, megadesertdiesel said:

due to the lower arm bending and letting the tire turn it let the ball joint and tie rod over extend and break.  Root cause was most likely the pre bent lower arm.

So the arm in the pic that is attached to the shock is actually the upper arm?  I had to look at the passenger side to figure that out. I thought that was the lower arm and it didn't look bent back to me, but I can't even see where the lower arm went!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the ball joint ripped out of the hub.   Those aftermarket lower arms on his X3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Al Lee said:

These UTVs with ball joints arent up to the task of big hits. Oh and rebound on the rear..

If you smash into rocks or trees I would agree, but nothing is going to hold up to that.  I know there are several racers that run stock ball joints in short course and desert.    The big issue is the stock suspension from the showroom is too stiff even when you open the compression adjustments all the way.  The X3 tends to bounce off stuff instead of roll over stuff.  Especially at speeds of 45mph and under and on square edges and chatter bumps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny everyone talks about the bend in that lower arm. Take a look at Shock Therapy's and Geiser bros X3 race cars. No gusset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say they held up pretty well considering what people do to them and then when you get the suspension tuned gives you the comfort of driving it harder than it’s actually designed for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ehall said:

He appears to have found the limit of what the front can take. Friend just sent this picture with no explanation.  Looks like a smooth gravel road. Haha

 

He had to have hit something bad that's hidden behind the vehicle in the photo.  The damage is just too drastic.

OR, he was attempting some crazy JUMP.  Jumping.............the worst idea EVER in a SxS!!

Edited by Phoenix7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is jumping in a sxs the worst idea ever?  No problems with any of my sxs’s with plenty of flight time.  Inspect and maintain your toys and a lot of problems people have can be eliminated.

E8FBBC3F-B0AC-400C-ADB0-88C546F78CA4.jpeg

6FAA16D6-99EE-43ED-971E-E323575283E0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, onanysunday said:

Funny everyone talks about the bend in that lower arm. Take a look at Shock Therapy's and Geiser bros X3 race cars. No gusset.

They have aftermarket a-arms using much better materials and thicker material.  I ran my stock lower arms for entire dune season and some desert riding with no issues.  I hit the front pretty good a few times.   I added the Extreme Performance weld on gusset kit for the lower arms.  I have over 3500 miles with them and holding strong. 

I think what happens to people that bend them is they are coming into stuff a lot faster than they think.  A turbo SXS is sneaky fast and with the better suspension you don't feel like you are going fast.  Especially out on the trails and in the desert.  They will cruise at 55- 65mph all day long in the desert.    

Out in the dunes most are being bent because people are lawn darting them.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

They have aftermarket a-arms using much better materials and thicker material.  I ran my stock lower arms for entire dune season and some desert riding with no issues.  I hit the front pretty good a few times.   I added the Extreme Performance weld on gusset kit for the lower arms.  I have over 3500 miles with them and holding strong. 

I think what happens to people that bend them is they are coming into stuff a lot faster than they think.  A turbo SXS is sneaky fast and with the better suspension you don't feel like you are going fast.  Especially out on the trails and in the desert.  They will cruise at 55- 65mph all day long in the desert.    

Out in the dunes most are being bent because people are lawn darting them.  

 

Unforeseen Drops offs are not nice to a SxS that weighs 1,600 lbs and wheels might be slightly turned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

He had to have hit something bad that's hidden behind the vehicle in the photo.  The damage is just too drastic.

OR, he was attempting some crazy JUMP.  Jumping.............the worst idea EVER in a SxS!!

Jumping is fine as long as you know what your doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Unforeseen Drops offs are not nice to a SxS that weighs 1,600 lbs and wheels might be slightly turned.

Especially not the 4 seaters that are 2,000lbs or more depending on how many isles at Autozone the owner hit up for accessories.  LOL!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks familiar!!    Lower arm gives so as to not damage the rest of the suspension points.  It's actually not a very expensive fix.  Ask me how I know!!

IMG955781.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...