ehall

Sxs carnage

2 minutes ago, MGM/FRP said:

Looks familiar!!    Lower arm gives so as to not damage the rest of the suspension points.  It's actually not a very expensive fix.  Ask me how I know!!

IMG955781.png

How do you know?

:lmao:

Just now, dbart said:

How do you know?

Lower back pain is how I know!!!

On 2/11/2020 at 9:54 AM, Sand Shark said:

If you smash into rocks or trees I would agree, but nothing is going to hold up to that.  I know there are several racers that run stock ball joints in short course and desert.    The big issue is the stock suspension from the showroom is too stiff even when you open the compression adjustments all the way.  The X3 tends to bounce off stuff instead of roll over stuff.  Especially at speeds of 45mph and under and on square edges and chatter bumps. 

Had to dune the wife's "Hello Kitty" edition X3 DS last weekend after I broke the transaxle in my buggy.  Pushed that thing hard enough to lose LS-powered long travel buggies and it rode awesome the whole time.  Just a couple of minor tweaks to the Fox recommended settings on the completely stock suspension.  Whoops on Wash Rd/Sand Highway at 50-60, G-outs, you name it, cushy and planted.  Maybe a problem with the bigger RS setup?

Or, more likely, I'm not used to driving dune couches around and everything feels cushy to me.  :bigrin 

Either way, rode great, bottomed only a couple of times, and didn't beat me up.  Belt finally shit the bed after 1200 miles in the dunes (yes, I cleaned up the mess), probably should've listened to a buddy and swapped it, but it "looked" great...

Edited by Rockwood

2 hours ago, MGM/FRP said:

Lower back pain is how I know!!!

And the long walk back to camp. DON~~~

6 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

They have aftermarket a-arms using much better materials and thicker material.  I ran my stock lower arms for entire dune season and some desert riding with no issues.  I hit the front pretty good a few times.   I added the Extreme Performance weld on gusset kit for the lower arms.  I have over 3500 miles with them and holding strong. 

I think what happens to people that bend them is they are coming into stuff a lot faster than they think.  A turbo SXS is sneaky fast and with the better suspension you don't feel like you are going fast.  Especially out on the trails and in the desert.  They will cruise at 55- 65mph all day long in the desert.    

Out in the dunes most are being bent because people are lawn darting them.  

I looked at the Shock Therapy race car in their shop about 3 weeks ago and sure looked like stock arms to me. But what do I know.  Last year Greg Geiser told me they don't gusset the arms because they would rather the arm bend than the frame.

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Had to dune the wife's "Hello Kitty" edition X3 DS last weekend after I broke the transaxle in my buggy.  Pushed that thing hard enough to lose LS-powered long travel buggies and it rode awesome the whole time.  Just a couple of minor tweaks to the Fox recommended settings on the completely stock suspension.  Whoops on Wash Rd/Sand Highway at 50-60, G-outs, you name it, cushy and planted.  Maybe a problem with the bigger RS setup?

Or, more likely, I'm not used to driving dune couches around and everything feels cushy to me.  :bigrin 

Either way, rode great, bottomed only a couple of times, and didn't beat me up.  Belt finally shit the bed after 1200 miles in the dunes (yes, I cleaned up the mess), probably should've listened to a buddy and swapped it, but it "looked" great...

You're probably on to something with the extra leverage in the 72" models on the arms.  I've seen a LOT bend, but IIRC they've all been 72" models.  Of course, that could be a function of everybody I know buying the 72" versions... 

And yes, they're pretty damn comfy and impressive if you take it for what it is and don't expect it to be a Funco F9 or Trophy Truck.  I regularly dune with LS cars (including boosted Funcos, AlumiCrafts, etc.) with the little 64" width model XP T (it's probably 70-ish on the dune wheels/tires).  

-TJ

2 hours ago, onanysunday said:

I looked at the Shock Therapy race car in their shop about 3 weeks ago and sure looked like stock arms to me. But what do I know.  Last year Greg Geiser told me they don't gusset the arms because they would rather the arm bend than the frame.

shame on u 

8 hours ago, Utah said:

Why is jumping in a sxs the worst idea ever?  No problems with any of my sxs’s with plenty of flight time.  Inspect and maintain your toys and a lot of problems people have can be eliminated.

Hey those are excellent photos Utah!  Maybe my post last night was from watching too many videos where for one reason or another the jumps looked awkward or ended badly.   But I admit that some people like yourself and others can really have fun with it.

2 minutes ago, I'm Sorry said:

shame on u 

:bangin:

1 hour ago, tjZ06 said:

You're probably on to something with the extra leverage in the 72" models on the arms.  I've seen a LOT bend, but IIRC they've all been 72" models.  Of course, that could be a function of everybody I know buying the 72" versions... 

And yes, they're pretty damn comfy and impressive if you take it for what it is and don't expect it to be a Funco F9 or Trophy Truck.  I regularly dune with LS cars (including boosted Funcos, AlumiCrafts, etc.) with the little 64" width model XP T (it's probably 70-ish on the dune wheels/tires).  

-TJ

Hey I'm glad to see that 2 of the engineering/mechanical masters on this board are onto my idea about the 72" RS models being more susceptible to breakage.  I brought it up the other day in Maverick Forums and one guy shot it down.  But that's just one guy.  There wasn't a consensus discussion.  

I know for sure when I finally trade up to an X3 or some other newer future model, I'm going with 64".  I have been firm in this belief for several months.

5 hours ago, onanysunday said:

Their race car for sure had aftermarket suspension.  No way the stock stuff would survive.  

I rather have the gusset.   If I kill the a-arm with a gusset iI hit something really and probably have totalled it.  

3 hours ago, Phoenix7 said:

Hey I'm glad to see that 2 of the engineering/mechanical masters on this board are onto my idea about the 72" RS models being more susceptible to breakage.  I brought it up the other day in Maverick Forums and one guy shot it down.  But that's just one guy.  There wasn't a consensus discussion.  

I know for sure when I finally trade up to an X3 or some other newer future model, I'm going with 64".  I have been firm in this belief for several months.

The 64” model X3 for sure has less issue with the lower arms.   The Can Am that just won King of the Hammers was a 64” model.

With that said the 72” model is way more stable and a better set up for the dunes and open desert.  

48 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

The 64” model X3 for sure has less issue with the lower arms.   The Can Am that just won King of the Hammers was a 64” model.

With that said the 72” model is way more stable and a better set up for the dunes and open desert.  

I've got one of each. The 64" has more body roll, looser feel than the 72". The feel in the dunes is best on 72".

2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Their race car for sure had aftermarket suspension.  No way the stock stuff would survive.  

I rather have the gusset.   If I kill the a-arm with a gusset iI hit something really and probably have totalled it.  

I was being sarcastic in my previous post. I looked close and told one of the service managers I was surprised their race car had stock arms.  Maybe a class that requires them? Don't know but they were stock.

Edited to add: He did not seem know when I asked about it. Even after mentioning I was surprised they were not gusseted.

Edited by onanysunday

10 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Yep.  Had to do a quick hand shuffle to catch the DS a couple of times power sliding.  Trip before, wife was forced to come to a stop at the top of a dune sideways (buggy in front stalled), downhill side sunk in and she went over 4 times down the hill (no one hurt and zero damage other than whips).  Not sure if the 72" model would've stayed upright, but definitely  consideration.  

You guys make it sound like the front arms are made of string cheese...   :doh:

Of the 5 72" cars in our group, who all dune pretty fast & hard and have a thousand + miles on each of the cars, none of us have bent an arm.  Sacrificing the stability, extra travel and plush ride of the 72" models for the 64" seems silly.  If you're that worried about it get the taco kit.  And don't drive beyond your ability!

13 minutes ago, Yarder said:

Of the 5 72" cars in our group, who all dune pretty fast & hard and have a thousand + miles on each of the cars, none of us have bent an arm.  Sacrificing the stability, extra travel and plush ride of the 72" models for the 64" seems silly.  If you're that worried about it get the taco kit.  And don't drive beyond your ability!

Front A-arms is about the only thing that hasn't been bent actually. Tie-rods, radius rods, sway bar links and cages all  have been bent though.

1 hour ago, Yarder said:

Agree.  My original response about the 64" model was just about how the shocks seem to be valved well stock, not that the narrower models are better.  Only reason we got the 64" was there was a $5k delta in price when they first came out and didn't seem worth it to me at the time. :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

10 hours ago, onanysunday said:

I was being sarcastic in my previous post. I looked close and told one of the service managers I was surprised their race car had stock arms.  Maybe a class that requires them? Don't know but they were stock.

Edited to add: He did not seem know when I asked about it. Even after mentioning I was surprised they were not gusseted.

Stupid internet always missing the sarcastic post. LOL!

All the boxed aftermarket arms are not gusseted.  The tube arms have plenty of cross bracing. 

1 hour ago, Yarder said:

Don't ruin the fun of the "sky is falling" panic raised about the lower a-arms. 

14 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Don't ruin the fun of the "sky is falling" panic raised about the lower a-arms. 

It's ridiculous, IMO, just like people worried about the radius rods and thinking they'll bend if you breathe on them too hard.

23 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I'm thinking it's a "compared to" what you are use to thing...…...you did comment on the ride repeatedly and it started to get old after my 4th or 5th bottom out! :smack:

2 hours ago, Yarder said:

In my opinion, it's not "don't drive beyond your ability", it's don't drive beyond the ability of the car you have chosen and the suspension you may or may not have upgraded.

Edited by Phoenix7

2 minutes ago, Phoenix7 said:

In my opinion, it's not "don't drive beyond your ability", it's don't drive beyond the ability of the car you have chosen and the suspension you may or may not have upgraded.

Ability has everything to do with it. :doh:

I've seen Advanced ATV Riders squeeze blood from stones racing stock ATC70's around camp, doing things way beyond the machines intended purpose. Also seen high-end Sand Cars driven by an idiot who could only afford that level of performance and power....but had no right to be behind the wheel.

Driving within yore Ability keeps people from getting hurt or even dying.

32 minutes ago, spize909 said:

I'm thinking it's a "compared to" what you are use to thing...…...you did comment on the ride repeatedly and it started to get old after my 4th or 5th bottom out! :smack:

Still think you have a valving or tuning problem in the shocks.  Mine doesn't crash through travel like that.