Booshwa

2000 7.3L (New to me) and Matt’s Caddy Shack in El Cajon

Just wanted to give a shout out to Matt’s Caddy Shack in El Cajon for some work he did on my 2000 7.3L.  It’s a new to me truck with 200,000 miles on it.  The was a guy from El Cajon bought it from a family in Colorado.  Belonged to a Ford mechanic that passed away, family didn’t know the history or work done to it.

He brought it to CA and went to work on it, exhaust, intake, interior, headliner, Bully Dog, 2007 front end and tailgate, etc....had too many projects and sold to me.  I had a 99 in the past that I had John Woods replace the TC and work the trans valves, install a 6.0 trans cooler and DP tuner.  Loved that truck minus the harsh ride.

On this truck I had to add a brake controller, relays and fuses, don’t think it ever towed anything heavy.  I thought it drove OK for an old 7.3l, not a ton of power but ran good.  I took off the Bully Dog to get it smogged and It ran like a giant turd, horrible.  Put the bully dog tune on it and thought sooo much better.

Need it to tow a travel trailer and soon for another toy hauler.  Posted on FB in Alpine asking if anyone works on 7.3L  that does clean work.  Matt Ford responded that he owns Matt’s Caddy Shack and has been driving his 7.3L forever, knows the truck very well.  

Super clean Trans cooler install and he found a leak back by my turbo, pulled it apart, fixed it and CLEANED up this 20 yr old motor! Amazing attention to detail! 

Matt called me and said, hey, you interested in trying out the latest Factory Ford 7.3L tune?  We’re a Ford authorized aftermarket shop.....I thought, what the hell, I know how to put the Bully Dog tune back in it.  Got the truck back thinking it’ll drive like a pig again.....it’s Soooooooo much better then the Bully Dog tune! And NOTHING like the factory Ford tune that was on it.  He’s got my business for life!

8796DE02-1F32-41FA-B6FD-7F82D0363A46.jpeg

19013E21-C01C-447A-B1C5-B4B053258B8F.jpeg

5A99D09F-53E2-4031-AB9B-B628092F725B.jpeg

81536824-358C-410E-9C44-73A1203CA3CE.jpeg

Edited by Booshwa

Were you towing a trailer westbound on the 8 by viejas this week? 

Lots more getty up with the ford tune? I was running a php hydra for a month or so,  but my truck shifted effin hard with the tune so i we t back to stock, and ya with 37’s its no  rocketship on stock setting

Edited by sausage450r

Nice truck. I’d like to have a guy like that in AZ and maybe have my beast checked over. I have 297,000 and it still runs like when I bought it. It’s  never had a tuner in it and don’t have a really huge trailer where I’d need it. But I’ve thought  of doing one anyway.  Anyway,  love the post and the pics. 

I was towing today, flat bed with a couple pallets of rock.  Have Matt throw the newest stock Ford tune on your truck! Mine shifts smooooooth

Tune wake up some power in your  truck?

Mine shifts great with no tune

7 hours ago, sausage450r said:

Tune wake up some power in your  truck?

Mine shifts great with no tune

Woke it up a lot, even from the bully dog tunes.  Let’s the motor rev higher prior to shifting when on the gas and shifts much smoother.  I’m not sure if it’s better than a DP tuner or Hydra, but this stock tune is far better than the Bully Dog tunes I had.