RK Racing

Wood, Is It Ok To Park On It...........

Hi and Thank you for your advice. 38 foot fifth wheel trailer, dual axle, parked in my driveway, on concrete ...... need to raise the trailer a few inches in the driveway, so is it OK if I park The trailer tires on 2 x 12“ x about 5’ wood ramps for off and on 6 months? I would be moving the trailer off the wood at least once a month (Glamis trips) during that six months time........ So....... can the wood do any harm to the tires? Thanks again.

u might get some baby tires from it 

I've never had issues.

Over the last 20 years I've owned 3 toy haulers and a large enclosed. All of them parked on 2x12s so they are not in the dirt or gravel

Never any problems. For longer life you can use the composite wood product.

How about these instead? I’ve never used ‘em but am curious if anyone else has... 

trailer legs 

E259EE1D-5258-41F4-8EE8-DAF6435CDDA1.jpeg

95742D35-1ED0-4E39-97B5-925BB6F97CCB.jpeg

Supposedly parking on wood instead of concrete is better for the longevity of your tires. I park on 2’x4’ sheets of marine grade plywood with no adverse effects.

I have always used 2×6's to level up and never had problems. The only thing I do is cut the end off at a 45* angle so it isn't such a sharp angle to drive on and off of. I dont know if that is easier on the tires or not,just something I do.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

How about these instead? I’ve never used ‘em but am curious if anyone else has... 

trailer legs 

E259EE1D-5258-41F4-8EE8-DAF6435CDDA1.jpeg

95742D35-1ED0-4E39-97B5-925BB6F97CCB.jpeg

Most likely for a lighter trailer........

THANK YOU everyone for your replies. Beer’s on me!

Its advised if you are parking on concrete or asphalt where the ground temps are high. 

A ok to do it.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:48 PM, sandkist said:

Supposedly parking on wood instead of concrete is better for the longevity of your tires. I park on 2’x4’ sheets of marine grade plywood with no adverse effects.

X2...good friend of mine who is a Teamster(399) told me the same,and all of my trailers have been parked on strips of Marine grade plywood. 

I read an article written by Yokohama a few years back, it's not good for tires to be parked on concrete for a long time, concrete will dry the tires out horribly. Wood is ok, but if it's rains and the wood gets wet, you run the risk of rotting the rubber. Some of the fake plastic wood stuff is better. I know guys who park on old mudflaps. Super easy and cheap 👌

With respect to all of the information here,  I'm not so sure it really matters what your tires are sitting on. Heck I even park my pusher on the rocks under it's shelter, I give it zero thought. I wouldn't think wood is any worse or better for tires than any other kind of substrate you could park on. With the exception of cheap Chinese trailer tires, modern rubber compounds are pretty durable. I think a lot of the "wisdom" stems from old school trains of thought. I store batteries on the concrete and it does them no harm, how many times have you heard people say not to do that...

Thank you again everyone!