Sign in to follow this  
onanysunday

Washington miniseries starts on History tonight

Looks to be liberalized with hardcore libs putting their spin on it. Oh well.

9 hours ago, Air450 said:

My thoughts as well, but I’ll watch anyway.  Looks well produced. 

I've got it set to record.

have it to record also

could not view vid, said null, please sign in.. whats that?

On 2/16/2020 at 10:32 AM, Air450 said:

Havent seen any of if, but reading a washington post review, i see what you mean. Its monday morning quarterbacking the most consequential and fluid events in american history. No man is perfect and it is true washington was imperfect. But his decisions were EXACTLY what gave us our country today.

As to military acumen. It is true that up to 1776 washington was indecisive. He convened a military council which shot down any action plans so the first few years of the war were spent running and rightly so. The continental army was severely outnumbered, not paid, they had hunting rifles (no bayonets), and shot and powder was few and far between. The majority of our heavy guns were seized  from the british fort Ticonderoga. 

Washington had no formal military training, he was a land surveyor and militia man. What training he got was from serving along side british regulars in the french and indian war (a war that taught the colonials that the british needed their protection rather than that the british were there for their protection. 

The start of what became the revolutionary war was not intended as a means of splitting from britain, but punitive action in response to british taxes for foreign wars on the colonials (and as a response To the British blockade of  Boston harbor as retaliation  for the Boston tea party) and parliament refused to let the colony be represented in parliament. The colonials believed king george was their leader but parliament had subverted his rule. To their shock king george sided with parliament and declared that the colonists were not equal to brits but subservient. And the declaration of independence was born.

washington was incredible at keeping an unpaid military together, and master at evasion and surprise. When general lee head of his war council was captured while looking for prostitutes, washington finally stepped up to the plate, and took charge, and from then sealed his fate as a great war leader. 

As far as slaves go and fortune  yes he inherited slaves and mt vernon from his brother, but washington was a hard worker and more than doubled his holdings, and married a rich widow, and gained even more. He freed his slaves in his will, though he could not free the slaves he inherited from his wife due to inheritance laws, they must pass to her kin.

from the declaration until the civil war it was a fight to keep the union together and slavery was the biggest issue. As seen with lincoln, the end to slavery was almost the end of our country. The stipulation of the continental congress to declare independence required unanimous consent from the 13 colonies. The original declaration had language (by Jefferson be franklin) ending slavery, but this was removed in the continental congress to get Georgia and the Carolinas our agree to succession. 

I could go on and on, i love history and cant get enough 

Edited by sausage450r

20 hours ago, WLD-OTZ said:

could not view vid, said null, please sign in.. whats that?

Not sure why it quit working.  https://decider.com/2020/02/16/washington-history-stream-it-or-skip-it/

Wife and I watched the first episode last night.  We both enjoyed it.  Very well done with good acting.  Other than calling slaves "enslaved people", I didn't really see anything with a leftists agenda.

Really pisses me off that this man no longer has a national holiday.  Then you realize only Jesus (barely) and MLK have a day and you start to realize this country needs a reboot to remember its heroes and founders.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:22 AM, Bansh88 said:

Wife and I watched the first episode last night.  We both enjoyed it.  Very well done with good acting.  Other than calling slaves "enslaved people", I didn't really see anything with a leftists agenda.

Really pisses me off that this man no longer has a national holiday.  Then you realize only Jesus (barely) and MLK have a day and you start to realize this country needs a reboot to remember its heroes and founders.

The whole idea of America and slavery is twisted.

our country was founded by the belief that all men are created equal. It was ENGLAND that brought slavery to North America and perpetuated it until our declaration of independence and the application of the treaty of Paris in 1783 (effective 1784).

up until that point; the witch trials, slavery, etc can be laid at the feet of England. By 1863 (less than 80 years) America abolished slavery. There is no country in earth save for the United States, that does not have hundreds of years even thousands of years of slavery.

american is special. The original declaration had this line deleted from it;

“He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither.  This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian King of Great Britain.  Determined to keep open a market where Men should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or restrain this execrable commerce.  And that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people on whom he has obtruded them: thus paying off former crimes committed again the Liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.”

these are the words of Thomas Jefferson.

by 1863, with the emancipation proclamation, and the 110,000 union soldiers gave their lives to free others. Name a country that has given that. The road to true equality has been tough. After the civil war the kkk was created and they killed many blacks AND MANY MANY WHITES, by their racism. President grant defeated them. President Wilson allowed their return

No country (or color of skin) on earth as the right to criticize the United States let alone another for past indiscretions in slavery. All colors, races, nationalities held slaves at one point in time of all colors and nationalities. 

Finished it last night. 

Really pushed the slavery thing at the end.  Also noticed they shoehorned blacks into almost every scene.  Both city life and military.

Overall, a good show and I learned some things 

Thoroughly enjoyed this Documentary.

It really highlighted what a great leader and motivator Washington was...Even though Congress EVEN AT THAT TIME was ineffective and fractious.

But what's really funny is how people here are comparing our current ideologies to what was taking place in the 1700's.

Those were WAY different times back then. 😅

Look for the mini series John Adams on HBO right now, it’s beyond good. 

1 minute ago, Dirtywhiteboy said:

Great mini series.

On my "List".

2 hours ago, Dirtywhiteboy said:

Another interesting cat. You know he was a lawyer; he defended the british soldiers at the boston massacre (and earned their acquittal). He stated it was important to respect the rule of law over impassioned feelings and stood by it. 

If interested in the founders;

this is a great “cliff notes” book

There another really good one on western legends

4B784572-827D-4F7A-BC01-8A0A7D6F10EE.jpeg