1HasBeen

PSA RE: Talon Turbo Kit

The Jackson Racing turbo kits started shipping recently, and fairly soon thereafter there were reports of engine failure(s). Not surprisingly, most assumed it was rooted in installation issues, but Jackson Racing posted some info regarding a possible issue with the programmer/flash device they provide. So if anyone has one, make sure your firmware is up to date and verify the tune.

Just saw this response from Jackson Racing re: the recent isolated incidents of engine failure after turbo installation:

"From Jackson Racing
Update: We have been working very hard to research what happened.

As seen across social media, there have been plenty of successful installations of our turbo kit across the country. But we dove in and checked over a few things to see if there was something that could have gone wrong. Understand we have tested in all types of conditions, in multiple states, etc. We ran KOH without issue. This issue was concerning to not just the Talon community, but to us at Jackson Racing. We are very confident in the included calibration and its use across multiple terrains.

We have found that there could have been flash errors, which could result in tuning issues. In this case, we want to make sure every kit owner’s flash tool has the proper firmware. We have corrected errors in the latest firmware update and sent instructions on how to update flash tools to Turbo Kit Owners and Dealers. With this firmware update to the flash tool and a reflash to Talon Turbo owner’s ECUs, all will be correct.
If you are kit owner and didn’t get an email, you need to register your turbo kit on the Product Registration page on talon.jacksonracing.com. Registering gives us direct contact with you so you have the latest news and info about your turbo kit, including any future feature updates we add.
This does not change the fact that a factory exhaust must be used on all Talon Turbo applications.
Due to the circumstances, we have contacted the owner severely affected (Tony Rich) and are working with him and his Honda dealer to get him back in the dirt. Thank you Bill and Tony for your patience as we worked through this."

Don't see that too often from aftermarket companies, but JR has been around a looooooooooooooong time for a reason.

Wonder why you have to use the stock exhaust...?

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Don't see that too often from aftermarket companies, but JR has been around a looooooooooooooong time for a reason.

Wonder why you have to use the stock exhaust...?

I assume the tune was written around the stock can, and open/free flowing exhaust could result in going lean and risking burning down.  The gray area is with some slip-ons that don't require a re-map, even when stock, but I guess I can't blame JR for not wanting to get in the middle of that. I figured they would be peddling an "approved" slip-on.

Glad they figured it out quickly.  Jackson Racing is not going to mess around and get it resolved as they have a long relationship with Honda.

It would be so much easier if Honda, Yamaha and Kawi would just put the turbo on from the factory.  They would sell so many more units by doing this.

bigger question is who is picking up the bill for the dead motors...

I cant image how they get around adding a turbo to a motor that im guessing has close to 11 to 1 cr and runs on pump gas?  that is crazy!!!

25 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I cant image how they get around adding a turbo to a motor that im guessing has close to 11 to 1 cr and runs on pump gas?  that is crazy!!!

Now all the keyboard experts show up....oh wait.....never mind…..good point.

Wasn't Jackson Factory recommended?

10 minutes ago, realbadlarry said:

Now all the keyboard experts show up....oh wait.....never mind…..good point.

Wasn't Jackson Factory recommended?

ok 10 to 1 is still high for pump gas and a turbo unless its like sub 8psi

what is the boost on these kits? it clear that its touchy! no matter how you look at it.  The fact that they have tested all over is good, but "all drivers" can be unpredictable

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

27 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

what is the boost on these kits? it clear that its touchy! no matter how you look at it.  The fact that they have tested all over is good, but "all drivers" can be unpredictable

Pretty sure I had read 8 psi somewhere, John.

Found this:

https://dirtwheelsmag.com/talon-turbo-hondas-big-announcement/

Edited by 1HasBeen

This is pretty disappointing news as I've waited a long time for the release. After speaking with the owner of Jackson Racing at the SSSS I was more than excited for the release. He spoke so much about all the R&D they put into making sure the turbo would be hiccup free.  How they spent thousands of hours making the mapping/shift points work seamless. How they had extensive testing in all different driving conditions, etc.  He was very convincing selling their product. I will sit this one out and wait for further news.

Maybe that's why no factory turbo????  they couldn't get them to live on the boost????  possible...or maybe they had enough failures that they wouldn't risk the HONDA reliability for a few extra ponies..?

Hopefully they figure it out.

7 hours ago, hondajimz said:

This is pretty disappointing news as I've waited a long time for the release. After speaking with the owner of Jackson Racing at the SSSS I was more than excited for the release. He spoke so much about all the R&D they put into making sure the turbo would be hiccup free.  How they spent thousands of hours making the mapping/shift points work seamless. How they had extensive testing in all different driving conditions, etc.  He was very convincing selling their product. I will sit this one out and wait for further news.

I am in wait and see mode.  The release of the turbo was delayed @3 months, so as it is.  I want to see more of them with turbos getting pushed hard at Glamis. Besides how the engine/turbo fare, I want to see how some of the single shear mounts, spindles and knuckles, and the chassis in general hold up to the additional power.  As I mentioned in another thread, I think Honda is only fooling themselves by not offering a factory turbo. Big mistake, IMHO.

15 hours ago, realbadlarry said:

bigger question is who is picking up the bill for the dead motors...

I would guess Jackson Racing is covering the motors

14 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Pretty sure the boost on the kit is around 6psi.     

4 hours ago, 1HasBeen said:

I am in wait and see mode.  The release of the turbo was delayed @3 months, so as it is.  I want to see more of them with turbos getting pushed hard at Glamis. Besides how the engine/turbo fare, I want to see how some of the single shear mounts, spindles and knuckles, and the chassis in general hold up to the additional power.  As I mentioned in another thread, I think Honda is only fooling themselves by not offering a factory turbo. Big mistake, IMHO.

Problem is there are not many Talon's running around Glamis.  Over President's day I saw more Kawi's than Honda's rolling around.

I agree it is a mistake for Honda not to just throw a turbo on from the factory.  I think this may ultimately happen if Honda really wants to race in the desert in the production turbo class.  Right now for BITD and SCORE they can race in the unlimited class, but there are only a handful of entries in that class.