EMPIRE231

Slide going out / in sideways

I have a 2007 fleetwood discovery w/ 3 slides. My passenger side main slide came out sideways on me this last trip. I was able to go in/out & push a few times to get it all the way out... then did the same thing to get it in for our drive home.

where do I start in fixing this problem? I am pretty sure the slide controls / motors are powergear brand. This particular slide (wide) has 2 motors and tracks. This year coach is the one that has the storage compartments come out with the slide. This is the first time it has given me any issues.

Mine is in the shop right now for Schwintek slide issues. Last year the dealer rebuilt my kitchen sliders but reinstalled the original motors, now I have it back in the shop and they are going to replace the motors. Fortunately my service contract is paying for it. Most of the time I have my wife press the button and I assist the heavy side of the kitchen slide while going in and out. You probably have a motor that quit working. 

Sounds like one motor is bad.

My living room slide has caused me issues for a couple of years, it sneaks out (1-2 inches) some when driving.  I have had it looked at and they keep telling me it is all good.  So I made a brace that I slide in between the slide and wall inside to hold it closed when driving.  But the same slide has also been a bit slow coming back in, sometimes needs a push from outside to get it to retract...………..

I once had a table fall onto the track while in transit.  When I went to open the slide it would stop half way.  I noticed the track was pinched from the fall of the table.  Make sure your tracks aren't pinched any where.  Motor is a good call too.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  From doing some google searches, it sounds like my track might have somehow become out of sync.  So I will be checking that.

I did find the service manual, which has a lot of info.  I'll report back on what I figure out. 

13 hours ago, Cookie said:

Sounds like one motor is bad.

My living room slide has caused me issues for a couple of years, it sneaks out (1-2 inches) some when driving.  I have had it looked at and they keep telling me it is all good.  So I made a brace that I slide in between the slide and wall inside to hold it closed when driving.  But the same slide has also been a bit slow coming back in, sometimes needs a push from outside to get it to retract...………..

Is yours hydraulically actuated by chance? Mine did the same thing so I followed the bleeding procedure in the manual and the slide drift stopped.  

Edited by Adam G

Have you lubed the track lately??

6 minutes ago, Adam G said:

Is yours hydrologically actuated by chance? Mine did the same thing so I followed the bleeding procedure in the manual and the slide drift stopped.  

I've read on irv2.com that low hydraulic fluid is a cause of the slides creeping out while driving. Can't remember the exact explanation though. My living room slide creeps out about a half inch while driving but not enough to bother me.

11 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

I've read on irv2.com that low hydraulic fluid is a cause of the slides creeping out while driving. Can't remember the exact explanation though. My living room slide creeps out about a half inch while driving but not enough to bother me.

I think mine is an electric motor??

16 minutes ago, Cookie said:

I think mine is an electric motor??

Could be and electric motor driven hydraulic pump.

Mine is electric.... 

@ocotillo boy .... I did lube them once in a while, but it has been a while since the last time... so I'll be checking that.  That could have caused it to come out of sync.

Pretty sure I found my problem.

Turns out this setup only has 1 motor (not 2 like I guessed)... and it has a drive shaft type deal going all the way across.  Well one side (the side not working right) looks like the gear had worked itself off the track.  In the pic, you can see the hole for a setscrew (I took it out before snapping the pic).  Well that setscrew was pretty loose, which caused the gear to work its way off.  I tried getting it back in place without dissembling everything, but that didn't work... so tonight I will pull a few more parts off and try to get this thing back in place. 

IMG_6335.thumb.jpg.008b37cbe0f15de92284e99ce7c56840.jpg

Success! getting that gear back on track solved the problem.  It took a little time to then calibrate it so it was even... I pretty much just left this one side disengaged, and used teh slide control to get the other side to be perfectly inline... then re-installed this gear.

which brings me to another question.  This could have been happening all along, and I never noticed it til now... but it seems like the bottom half of the slide is sealing 100% when in the out position, but the very top of the slide isn't... it is maybe 1/2 - 3/4" off.  Is there a way to adjust that (top to bottom)?  or is this pretty standard and I just never paid close enough attention.

also found all this wedged under the slide.... damn kids lol

IMG_6339.thumb.jpg.f91992f1b30eef5fc5917cc8bc24e8fa.jpg

For adjusting alignment top to bottom, I assume this is where that is made? anyone familiar with these?

IMG_6341.jpg.b561b3a826694e9cb256044294e80f9e.jpg