onanysunday

Insurance claims on burned side by sides

Seems people are constantly saying these fires are insurance burn jobs. Any first hand knowledge of someone getting caught and arrested for this? It is hard for me to believe very many people would commit insurance fraud when you know the insurance company is going to investigate. So how would you burn your car down to fool an investigator? Bet those guys have some great tools to investigate. Any first hand feedback from someone that had one burn and what kind of process they went through?

Most people also have full coverage on the machines. Would it not be easier to just drive to china wall, wait till the crowd is gone and give it a little push and let it get totaled out?

Also how many stock machines do you see vs fully upgraded. You would not get your money back for upgrades. Then you have your deductible to pay. Oh and what are the chances your rates will go up.

How come every time a SxS catches fire it's automatically assumed it's an "insurance job"?

12 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

How come every time a SxS catches fire it's automatically assumed it's an "insurance job"?

It's how keyboard commando's stay in shape. There exercise program consists of Jumping to conclusions, Flying off the handle and running there mouth.

17 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Also how many stock machines do you see vs fully upgraded. You would not get your money back for upgrades. Then you have your deductible to pay. Oh and what are the chances your rates will go up.

Comp insurance has no effect on rates in Arizona, only liability and collision. As far as investigate, you can determine yes it was a fire that started here, but by who? Hard to determine that said owner started fire with enough proof and no confession to deny the claim.

5 minutes ago, MWB said:

Their exercise program consists of Jumping to conclusions

LeftColorlessIlladopsis-size_restricted.gif

37 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

why don’t you ever see the owner rushing to put the fire out?

Edited by bizness

2 posts up ^^^^ that's exactly who came to mind when Mac said "I'm a people person, with people skills" in his Master's thread 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Chingon619

41 minutes ago, bizness said:

Ever been in an emergency situation?  There are people who act, and there are people who freeze.  Some switch in your brain that we have or don't, or get trained for.  

Me, I think it's a funny joke.  The Internet shouldn't be taken seriously enough to think that everyone is honestly calling every SxS burning a case of insurance fraud.  Obviously many are just Polaris RZR manufacturing defects. :bigrin 

SxsKkh9.gif

Edited by Rockwood

there is a uptick in "fires" every time a new model is released 

J/k.... most SxS claims are from people cartwheeling them every weekend.  There might be the occasional "could no longer afford the 750 easy payments" claim.... but most insurance policies do not cover replacement cost, and would just pay actual cash value (depreciated)... so in most cases, those claims would cause the insured to come up short, unless they bought GAP insurance in the finance dept.

Just now, EMPIRE231 said:

there is a uptick in "fires" every time a new model is released 

J/k.... most SxS claims are from people cartwheeling them every weekend.  There might be the occasional "could no longer afford the 750 easy payments" claim.... but most insurance policies do not cover replacement cost, and would just pay actual cash value (depreciated)... so in most cases, those claims would cause the insured to come up short, unless they bought GAP insurance in the finance dept.

I almost said "or put money down"....

But, LOL, who am I kidding.  100% financing! :bigrin 

I find it funny that this thread is "hot".  My friend's turbo Wildcat caught fire the last time we were out.  I caught him and we quickly put it out.  If there ever was a machine that should have been left to burn it was that one.  We still laugh about it.

10 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I almost said "or put money down"....

But, LOL, who am I kidding.  100% financing! :bigrin 

125% don't forget those cool add ons :sha:

1 hour ago, L.R.S. said:

Because poor people are less than savory characters. 

I'm just a poor :crusty:

If my Rhino ever burnt up, I'd have to start a GoFundMe to replace it. Who can afford Insurance on a OHV Toy?

Pfft Rich / Middle Class problems!

1 hour ago, CRUSTY said:

If my Rhino ever burnt up, I'd have to start a GoFundMe to replace it. Who can afford Insurance on a OHV Toy?

I pay $30/month for Ins on my rhino! 

Obviously not Rich... :lmao:

4 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

I pay under $300 a year for trailer and buggy....(semi) full coverage.

6 hours ago, CRUSTY said:

Well, most people watch too mush CSI....it's not really that easy to tell where a fire started when something is burnt to the ground...I guess you could have a bunch of friends in on it , but that could be a problem...and Insurance companies will look at your credit and your loss history to see if there is more investigation needed.  Also a cause and origin can be several thousand dollars...to come back and say....it burned. 

Insurance companies can demand examinations  under oath and they have some really good investigators....Social media is awesome.....ps...don't post videos of you crashing your car and then report it stolen....

In the big picture.....a lot more are insured than are burnt for the $$$....

19 hours ago, bizness said:

we had a buggy go up in flames, Fuel line came off and ignited the entire engine compartment in seconds, by the time we got the people out, the Fire Extinguisher was useless.  Burned to the ground on the face of Olds.  

Thank god for radios, we all saw it going down and radio'ed to him to stop and get out, it could have been much worse without that extra 10-15 seconds of warning.  

When I see someone post "insurance job" on a burning SxS, I just assume 50% of  the time they're serious and 50% of the time they're joking. It just depends on who posted it. 

Do I think some people have intentionally torched their SxS? Yeah, I do, but it's probably a pretty small percentage. What perpetuates the myth is how fast new models come out and how fast the last model dropped in value. The ins. depreciation has to be a lot less than the drop in market value. Unless the new buyer can just take over payments, the current financed owner is looking to sell to another buyer who wants to finance, so all of the new buyers are looking at the newer models and not at your 6 month old unit that you dumped $30K into. Anybody with $30k cash is probably looking to buy a sand rail. Ergo it's easier/lower financial loss to torch it than find a buyer, especially if it's less than perfect or has a chronic problem that the dealer can't or won't fix.

I did know a guy back around 1993 who committed insurance fraud and the only reason I found out was they arrested him right on the pier as soon as he stepped off the sub. He had bought a brand new Yamaha street bike and it never ran right. The dealership had tried to fix it 5 or 6 times and finally gave up on it. This was in HI and I guess he couldn't Lemon Law it, he told me later on that he tried and he couldn't get them to take it back. He asked around and someone told him that he could have it stolen and burned for cheap, like $500 or so. He left the money and a key under the seat and parked it in a busy mall parking lot. The thief took it to  remote canyon, set it on fire and ran it off the cliff.

A few yrs go by and he completely forgot about it. The thief broke up with his girlfriend and she wanted revenge. Unfortunately, he kept a meticulous diary of every stolen bike he did: names, dates, prices, bike model. She stole his diary and went to HPD and told them everything. They arrested the thief and tracked down all of his customers and arrested them as well for insurance fraud. If it wasn't for her, HPD never would have made any arrests, they had no clue the extent of this guy's business.  

The morals of the story are: Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, even if it's not your woman, you could get burned, too  - and - Three people can keep a secret, as long as two of them are dead. 

36 minutes ago, socaldmax said:

When I see someone post "insurance job" on a burning SxS, I just assume 50% of  the time they're serious and 50% of the time they're joking. It just depends on who posted it. 

Do I think some people have intentionally torched their SxS? Yeah, I do, but it's probably a pretty small percentage. What perpetuates the myth is how fast new models come out and how fast the last model dropped in value. The ins. depreciation has to be a lot less than the drop in market value. Unless the new buyer can just take over payments, the current financed owner is looking to sell to another buyer who wants to finance, so all of the new buyers are looking at the newer models and not at your 6 month old unit that you dumped $30K into. Anybody with $30k cash is probably looking to buy a sand rail. Ergo it's easier/lower financial loss to torch it than find a buyer, especially if it's less than perfect or has a chronic problem that the dealer can't or won't fix.

I did know a guy back around 1993 who committed insurance fraud and the only reason I found out was they arrested him right on the pier as soon as he stepped off the sub. He had bought a brand new Yamaha street bike and it never ran right. The dealership had tried to fix it 5 or 6 times and finally gave up on it. This was in HI and I guess he couldn't Lemon Law it, he told me later on that he tried and he couldn't get them to take it back. He asked around and someone told him that he could have it stolen and burned for cheap, like $500 or so. He left the money and a key under the seat and parked it in a busy mall parking lot. The thief took it to  remote canyon, set it on fire and ran it off the cliff.

A few yrs go by and he completely forgot about it. The thief broke up with his girlfriend and she wanted revenge. Unfortunately, he kept a meticulous diary of every stolen bike he did: names, dates, prices, bike model. She stole his diary and went to HPD and told them everything. They arrested the thief and tracked down all of his customers and arrested them as well for insurance fraud. If it wasn't for her, HPD never would have made any arrests, they had no clue the extent of this guy's business.  

The morals of the story are: Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, even if it's not your woman, you could get burned, too  - and - Three people can keep a secret, as long as two of them are dead. 

What kind of idiot would keep a diary of thefts and arson?

16 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

What kind of idiot would keep a diary of thefts and arson?

A well organized one with hopes of moving up to middle management.