SPODEBOY

UPDATED AFTER TESTING: So... Rear Paddles/Front Steering or Matching Sand Vipers?

On my last RZR I had a set of Sand Slinger paddles in the rear with their grooved steering tires in the front.  It did just fine.  However I did notice that at times when I would need to use 4X4 the car kinda pushed in the turns and the traction up front was compromised a little since the tires were basically slicks with grooves. 

SAND SLINGER TYPE

I then saw another RZR with these Sand Viper tires with the same tread on all four corners. He told me he loved em.  Anyone here use these Sand viper Type?  I am curious as to your experience between the two types?

SAND VIPER TYPE 

Edited by SPODEBOY

What is your current SXS?   What size paddle tire are you planning on running?   

A completely buffed front tire that matches the size of rear tire would work.  The buffed tire will pull you through the turns.    They make the buff tires with a center ridge that helps with the steering.

XP4 1000 Turbo 29"

29” too small for turbo IMO. Taller tires gives you better ground clearance and are still not a strain on the belt. 

I love my ss360 in 32"

1 hour ago, Squatcher said:

I love my ss360 in 32"

Where did you buy yours. 

I got them on ebay but Chapparal Motorsports shipped them to me.  do I online search for the best price.  Think around 600ish for the set.  you will love them. 

7 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

I got them on ebay but Chapparal Motorsports shipped them to me.  do I online search for the best price.  Think around 600ish for the set.  you will love them. 

quick seach found these. full set looks like  for 720  I found Tusk beadloc wheels for about 159 each. one I found cheaper on ebay as a mounted rim so little cheaper.   https://www.sidebysidesports.com/sssasnti.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv8PyBRDMARIsAFo4wK0W0RkoepfRqNqfthZ3CRrWkE-eAHQZ7MngJKGmTRSbwnYwGXIeTX8aAorQEALw_wcB

Edited by Squatcher

Thanks again for your helpful info Now off to spend some $$$

16 hours ago, SPODEBOY said:

XP4 1000 Turbo 29"

On the turbo I would run a 30" paddle set up.  It has the power to pull them no problem.  If you are on a budget I would seriously consider get the 30" System 3 SS360 set up.  Great overall duning and the front tires really help pull when in 4wd.   If you want a more traditional looking paddle tire look then the 30" CST or Rocky mountain Tusk paddles is another great budget set up. 

The paddle tires you are looking at are not the greatest performance wise.   

Thanks guys. I too think the 30's will be good. Those are the ones I saw! But I think I found a happy medium? Wut u thank?

Screenshot_20200222-132617_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200222-132639_Chrome.jpg

21 hours ago, SPODEBOY said:

Thanks guys. I too think the 30's will be good. Those are the ones I saw! But I think I found a happy medium? Wut u thank?

Screenshot_20200222-132617_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200222-132639_Chrome.jpg

Not a fan of the Sand Strippers.  Heavy and does not perform that great.

Have you looked at Tusk Lite paddle set up?   They work really well,  pretty light and do not kill belts like those strippers.  Bonus is they don't throw a wall of sand like the Strippers.

I just got those you mentioned .. still wrapped .. also ordered from Chaparral. 

32”. I’m not interested in drag racing or hill shooting folks, I’m a duner and I love to slide around. Plus I think this will be easier on the belts... and I always run in 4wd.

I used to run my SCU between 20-22psi. I like a solid rear as opposed to 12psi gush.. found it was easier to control.

The ones I got are bead lock, just need to find the right PSI to run them at.

New ride only has 1 trip at KOH and I’m DYING to get to Glamis. 

abc

E10A5108-AA39-468E-9F40-A393986ED734.jpeg

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

On 2/23/2020 at 11:08 AM, Sand Shark said:

Have you looked at Tusk Lite paddle set up?   They work really well,  pretty light and do not kill belts like those strippers.  Bonus is they don't throw a wall of sand like the Strippers.

I did see those. Great price too.

Thanks also for your knowledge on those strippers.   

On 2/23/2020 at 12:29 PM, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

32”. I’m not interested in drag racing or hill shooting folks, I’m a duner and I love to slide around. Plus I think this will be easier on the belts... and I always run in 4wd.

I used to run my SCU between 20-22psi. I like a solid rear as opposed to 12psi gush.. found it was easier to control.

abc

Thanks for that info.  Like I mentioned on my last SXS I really wanted to try the ones you just got. And since the belt strippers or uh... I mean the Stand Strippers are expensive and may eat belts. I just may go with what you got there. 

I am very interested in seeing how these perform out there in Glams

55 minutes ago, DEV'S RZR said:

I am about to pull the trigger. I will let you know. ;)

What do you think about these babies? 

raceline.jpg

Bead lock is a bead lock.. it’s the tire that matters IMO

On 2/23/2020 at 12:29 PM, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

abc

Nice.  My friend runs his at 10psi on his X3.   Everyone that follows you will be happy as you don't throw a massive roost with them.  

3 hours ago, DEV'S RZR said:

They perform exceptionally well.  Have two friends that run them.   I drove my friend's X3 with the 32 set up.  They do well in the dunes and the front tires help out in 4wd.

Had these been out a few years ago I probably would be running them now. 

2 hours ago, SPODEBOY said:

I am about to pull the trigger. I will let you know. ;)

What do you think about these babies? 

raceline.jpg

I have those wheels for my dirt set up.   Great wheel for the dirt, but a little on the heavy side for a sand set up.

On 2/23/2020 at 11:08 AM, Sand Shark said:

Yep.  Had a buddy with those GMZ tires, weighed a ton and didn't provide much bite.

Running the Tusk Sand Lites out back on the wife's X3.  Duned it a couple of weekends ago in 2WD, no problems.  Lost a belt out there running them, but it had over 1000 Glamis miles on it, so doubt it's related. 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Yep.  Had a buddy with those GMZ tires, weighed a ton and didn't provide much bite.

Running the Tusk Sand Lites out back on the wife's X3.  Duned it a couple of weekends ago in 2WD, no problems.  Lost a belt out there running them, but it had over 1000 Glamis miles on it, so doubt it's related. 

1000 miles is not bad on a belt in the dunes.   Soon you will discover running in 4wd is faster and you can still slide the ass end around.    How many times to grab the imaginary turning brake when driving the X3 in 2wd?  

2 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

1000 miles is not bad on a belt in the dunes.   Soon you will discover running in 4wd is faster and you can still slide the ass end around.    How many times to grab the imaginary turning brake when driving the X3 in 2wd?  

4WD is nice for steep climbs, but coming from a buggy, it's a completely different driving style.  You can get the ass end to slide, but it requires more trail-braking and "Scandanavian flick" than in 2WD, and my driving method uses the throttle to steer almost as much as the steering wheel.  With 4WD that method gets polluted a little so I don't run it unless I need maximum traction or trying to catch up.  Buddy has a video of me drifting the Hello Kitty Express behind his V8 Desert Dynamics trying to lose me. Since we're not going for lap times, style points count a long way towards fun factor... :bigrin  

Turning brake?  What's that?  Lightweight buggies don't need those.  Straight dorifto son. :bigrin 

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

4WD is nice for steep climbs, but coming from a buggy, it's a completely different driving style.  You can get the ass end to slide, but it requires more trail-braking and "Scandanavian flick" than in 2WD, and my driving method uses the throttle to steer almost as much as the steering wheel.  With 4WD that method gets polluted a little so I don't run it unless I need maximum traction or trying to catch up.  Buddy has a video of me drifting the Hello Kitty Express behind his V8 Desert Dynamics trying to lose me. Since we're not going for lap times, style points count a long way towards fun factor... :bigrin  

Turning brake?  What's that?  Lightweight buggies don't need those.  Straight dorifto son. :bigrin 

This 100%.  I like to run my SxSs in 2WD as much as possible, even on stock Bighorns and just use 4WD when we get into really tight, fluffy sand and everybody slows down so you're not carrying speed, or if we decide we "have" to go straight up China to leave and head back to camp.  Personally, I like to 2-foot SxSs, just giving it a dab of brake with my left foot to move weight onto the front tires and scrub a little speed as needed, without going off/on the gas causing the clutches to shift in/out.  It's better for the clutches and belt, and also reduces the "laggy" feeling of a CVT, especially a turbo engine and CVT.  

As for tires, I really want to try those System 3 SS360 tires on all 4... they look like mad dorrrrrifto fun - and they look like you could run them on the west side of the canal (or to Boardmanville, after levitating across the tracks) without destroying them.  However, I'm really happy with my current setup so I can't justify the $.

My setup are 1200 Desert Traks (about half the tread shaved) in the front and 1300 Padla Traks rear.  Again, I mostly run in 2WD (don't need 4WD even for climbing China with these and an XPT) but I love having the reasonable front bite for towing somebody out... which I seem to do a lot of.  

20180930_155012.thumb.jpg.d2ec1a1b927144b0c82ade5d4860a2bf.jpg

-TJ