Sign in to follow this  
r3meyer

Axel keeper ring broke off some teeth

So on the way back to camp on the last ride just after sunset I lost 3rd gear.  (Or so thought). I had just transitioned into a bowl so I just stopped and got out to take a look.  Found my inner passenger side cv boot with the axel just laying in the bottom of it.  Was not ripped.  The axel slid out of the star.  Once we got the thing apart I found the clip and it was still intact.  What would cause it to chip off the teeth at the end of the axel where it sits in the groove.  Is it possible to just chop off the end and cut in a new groove?  Save the axel?  Half tempted to order a new one and keep this as a spare.  This is in an Albins with 934’s.

Hmmmm  sounds like something was too short.....not an expert, but pretty sure they are not supposed to do that. 

Might add , car make etc....

Retainer ring came which allowed the axle to slide out of the star. Axle gets hung up with just the end portion still in the star as power is applied and the lack of surface area on the axle in contact with the star shears the splines off the end?

2 hours ago, Adam G said:

Retainer ring came which allowed the axle to slide out of the star. Axle gets hung up with just the end portion still in the star as power is applied and the lack of surface area on the axle in contact with the star shears the splines off the end?

This is the most likely scenario.  I've seen it before and actually had a very similar situation happen to my car last season.  The trans side spiral clip came off and the axle splines extended further than the hub side CV star when I bottomed out the suspension.  When the car lifted back up the axle splines and CV star splines were not matched up and the axle shaved the star splines down to nothing.  Fortunately the CV star took the damage and not the axle.

Once I got it all pulled apart I found I had used a spiral clip for a 35 spline axle and not a smaller 33 spline.  Simple fix and completely my fault.

So the thought is the retainer clip just came off at some point.  After it came off the axle slid down and then the star took out the end of the teeth?  The star was chewed up.  I put in a spare star and nursed it back home in first gear trying to keep constant torque on the axel to it wouldn't fall back out.

Can I save the axel or should I just get a new one?  I will get pictures this week when I decided to go open it up.  It was blowing so sand got into my grease.

2 hours ago, r3meyer said:

So the thought is the retainer clip just came off at some point.  After it came off the axle slid down and then the star took out the end of the teeth?  The star was chewed up.  I put in a spare star and nursed it back home in first gear trying to keep constant torque on the axel to it wouldn't fall back out.

Can I save the axel or should I just get a new one?  I will get pictures this week when I decided to go open it up.  It was blowing so sand got into my grease.

Do you have at least 1/2” of free play all the way to full droop? If so, you can probably take it to a machine shop and get it re-faced and a new groove cut. 

Edited by Rockwood

14 hours ago, realbadlarry said:

Hmmmm  sounds like something was too short.....not an expert, but pretty sure they are not supposed to do that. 

thats what she said 

6 hours ago, r3meyer said:

this is a hard one 

@ITSWEEKS had the same issue the axle looked fair so we ran it, and it did not plung correctly and cracked the case,  we thought nothing of it, fixed the S4 and ran it again, then it jammed up the trans would not shift, and the axle would not move, this happened all weekend, changed the axle and it has been good for a full season, 

4 hours ago, J Alper said:

this is a hard one 

That's what she said again.