Cody G

SCU - Char-Lynn to EPS ????

Hi all, first post here so thanks in advance for the shared wisdom from all y'all. 

I just picked up SCU 5 seater with a LS1 and 33" shoes. The car is currently equipped with a Char-Lynn torque generator for power steering but there is a good amount of slop in the steering wheel. there is no slop between the torque generator and the rack, just the input from the steering wheel. 

Here's my question. What are your guys' thoughts on a 400 watt EPS swap? I know they're becoming prevalent in the off road world but would I be better off converting to a standard power steering setup with a basic servo / basic R&P ? If I go EPS, all I have to change is the torque generator over to the EPS and I can use my same manual R&P. 

For those of you who have run EPS, any issues? What would be the pros/cons to both. 

Thanks in advance all. 

Buggy.jpg

Following 🤔

I swapped my charlynn for eps. Best mod. The charlynn was so twitchy. 

We just did a conversion on the same car as yours. We removed the charlynn and replaced it with a flange bearing at the dash. We installed a eps inline down lower above the pedals. There isn't much room there. It all works great. We did have to replace the rack that was very worn and binding. 

1 hour ago, jtmoney714 said:

I swapped my charlynn for eps. Best mod. The charlynn was so twitchy. 

Can you post a pic of your new setup bracketry/mounting location? Considering doing this on my car, so just looking for some inspiration as I think we have the same exact year SCU

I just swapped my charlynn for eps too. I don't drive into other lanes on the street now lol. The kit I got from @hndarcr had everything I needed for the swap. I did end up using one ujoint from the charlynn though. I'd estimate that the eps with the dial turned all the way up (most assist) equals roughly 3/4 of what my charlynn was.

can someone post a link for the parts?

thanks

43 minutes ago, BoogerDeuce said:

Can you post a pic of your new setup bracketry/mounting location? Considering doing this on my car, so just looking for some inspiration as I think we have the same exact year SCU

I don’t have any pics unless I have to pop my hood off soon. But I got the kit from Harvey here on the board. I mounted it to where the charlynn used to sit. I don’t think I used a bracket but I did have to drill some holes. I then welded the sweets splined deal to one end for my steering wheel and then I think I welded a u joint on the other end for the steering shaft. Really no other way to do it for me because of the lack of leg room.  It’s been a few years and I drink heavily and this is the best I can remember. 

1 hour ago, maddward said:

I just swapped my charlynn for eps too. I don't drive into other lanes on the street now lol. The kit I got from @hndarcr had everything I needed for the swap. I did end up using one ujoint from the charlynn though. I'd estimate that the eps with the dial turned all the way up (most assist) equals roughly 3/4 of what my charlynn was.

What wattage are you running? I was looking at Kartek's 400 watt unit. I don't mind a little more effort on the input, just want to get rid of the sloppiness of the current setup. 

First of all did you make sure your u-joints are tight? Could be something simple like that, but Charlynns are known for slop.

I pulled the Charlynn out of my 4 seat DD and went with the Kartek 400 unit. It's great! But I had the @hndarcr kit on my car before that and liked it a bit better.

I did one on a beam race car. All info from here https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/toyota-electric-power-steering-eps-conversion/
09 Corolla EPS setup was $75 at local pick a part. Make sure you get the controller, I had another yard will another setup and only got the motor they wanted $300 for the controller.

IMG_5129.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5355.JPG

IMG_5356.JPG

4 hours ago, acefuture said:

First of all did you make sure your u-joints are tight? Could be something simple like that, but Charlynns are known for slop.

I pulled the Charlynn out of my 4 seat DD and went with the Kartek 400 unit. It's great! But I had the @hndarcr kit on my car before that and liked it a bit better.

I haven’t pulled anything apart yet but the char-Lynn is up against my dash and seems that the steering wheel is connected directly to the input shaft, so no u joints to be loose. From the char Lynn to the rack is tight. 

Also, what did y’all do with your belt situation after you pulled the power steering pump. I was looking at it (very briefly) and curious as to how you re-routed your belt and if you have the length that you used. 

Here is a link to the kit my buddy used,  it has pretty good rundown in the description of how it works and what you need

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-Chevy-Equinox-Electric-power-steering-electronic-controller-box-EPAS/142461763061?hash=item212b61fdf5:g:DRQAAOSwr7tZfvQP

Here's the routing I have, and the part number for the belt i bought from O'reillys

LS1PSDeleteBeltRouting.jpg.bf2314d6b718ab04c0194c61e5a61a46.jpg

IMG_5642.thumb.JPG.79c474d4dc66ab8f95741e0639c81483.JPG

22 hours ago, acefuture said:

Here's the routing I have, and the part number for the belt i bought from O'reillys

LS1PSDeleteBeltRouting.jpg.bf2314d6b718ab04c0194c61e5a61a46.jpg

IMG_5642.thumb.JPG.79c474d4dc66ab8f95741e0639c81483.JPG

Rad!! This is awesome! Thanks for the help!