Cookie

Corona Virus, how is affecting you?

31 minutes ago, THD said:

I too have been reevaluating my thoughts on this virus and how it is being addressed and how the response will affect all of us.

I retired almost exactly 1 year ago. When this shit show started, I was very stressed with the markets crashing and the effect it would have on my portfolio. But I started thinking beyond myself and my thoughts went to the younger generations such as my daughters and grandchild. I have been blessed my entire life with opportunity, a well paying trade, financial security, and a great country to live in. I am very concerned with what the future holds for our younger generations. Will my children and grandchildren have the same conditions I enjoyed? Time will tell.

In the meantime, while it is sometimes  difficult to figure out a way to help others during these times, there are opportunities. My youngest daughter is a special needs teacher and her district closed all the schools. A lot of the kids in her class have horrible dysfunctional home situations where food and basic supplies such as soap is missing. She organized a few of her fellow teachers and started accumulating food and supplies for the families in need. Her and I went and bought a few hundred bucks worth of basic food supplies and with the help of her fellow teachers, put together several care packages containing food and hygiene supplies for the families (kids) most in need. I am so proud of my daughter for her care and concern for others, and actually taking action to help those in need. I just threw some money at it, and helped with the shopping. She organized the effort and did all the heavy lifting. The pride I have for her and her actions far outweighs any losses I might have financially! 

Hopefully we can come out on the other side of this and continue to improve and prosper for the sake of future generations so that they can enjoy the same opportunities most of us have enjoyed.

Love it!

So while we are at it, having food storage is more important then ever.  Can goods can stay on the shelf a good long time (and rotated) we have 100 gallons of bottled water at all times.  a pool. a purifier that I could put my pool water through and drink it (30,000 gallons) and a well (im working on a 2700 gallon fresh water storage tank).  I know we don't all have these options for home, but at least a few 5 gallon containers (maybe 10 of them and some canned goods could keep all of us out of the stores in a crisis.  with all your time go out and plant a fruit tree or two, they are $80 from home depot.  We have planted 40 fruit bearing trees.  we bought a "freeze dryer" for food (not a dehydrator ) so we can freeze dry meals and when we have a big fruit harvest and they all go ripe at one time I get busy. the freeze drier was $4k but bought it used from a lady who used it 3 times for $1000!  We can be creative in advance "before the tide goes out"

13 minutes ago, BW Willy said:

It's refreshing and uplifting to hear positive things people are doing to help our society during this chaos.  Thanks for sharing some positivity and congratulation for raising a wonderful daughter!

As for future generations, I don't understand the younger generation (but every generation says that).  If you raise your kids to be hard working, dedicated and self sufficient, they'll be amazingly successful - look who they are competing against - a bunch of slackers and losers.  Looks like you've done a good job.  

Portfolio wise...……..anyone even starting to think about retirement should get conservative on all investments.  By retirement (if I can ever retire) all my money will be locked in with almost no risk of volatility.  I need that money!

Thanks BW Willy. 

Fortunately, last December I retreated to a more conservative investment strategy and have minimal exposure in the market. While I show some loss on paper, it is minimal compared to what others are experiencing. 

8 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Love it!

So while we are at it, having food storage is more important then ever.  Can goods can stay on the shelf a good long time (and rotated) we have 100 gallons of bottled water at all times.  a pool. a purifier that I could put my pool water through and drink it (30,000 gallons) and a well (im working on a 2700 gallon fresh water storage tank).  I know we don't all have these options for home, but at least a few 5 gallon containers (maybe 10 of them and some canned goods could keep all of us out of the stores in a crisis.  with all your time go out and plant a fruit tree or two, they are $80 from home depot.  We have planted 40 fruit bearing trees.  we bought a "freeze dryer" for food (not a dehydrator ) so we can freeze dry meals and when we have a big fruit harvest and they all go ripe at one time I get busy. the freeze drier was $4k but bought it used from a lady who used it 3 times for $1000!  We can be creative in advance "before the tide goes out"

Cheaper option for fruit is preserves, jams  and canning. 

So the only way the stimulus money works is if we go spend it and get it flowing. If I should get a check I promise to do my part in the jump start efforts. Kennedy Engineering, Kartek, and others better brace for the onslaught. 

44 minutes ago, richard h said:

So the only way the stimulus money works is if we go spend it and get it flowing. If I should get a check I promise to do my part in the jump start efforts. Kennedy Engineering, Kartek, and others better brace for the onslaught. 

Pretty sure I won't get a check, but if I do it is going straight into the stock market...………………………..or Vegas.

5 hours ago, Cookie said:

Pretty sure I won't get a check, but if I do it is going straight into the stock market...………………………..or Vegas.

except Vegas is completely shut down :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Orange_R said:

except Vegas is completely shut down :dunno: 

I can wait a few weeks for Vegas, I am there monthly for work anyway.  My point was gambling.

Just got off a conference call, my scheduled raise has been postponed, and there is hiring freeze.  That is great because all the people in my department are leaving the company tomorrow (scheduled).  I might be getting very busy with no more money.  I still have to happy I have a job :)

And...

A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

I'm a dumb ass who never went to college but maybe some of you smart college boys on here can set me straight. As I understand it, our fearless leaders are trying to pass an "aid" package to help people put out of work or out of business by the Corona virus. Very decent and noble idea. Wasn't their fault all this crap happened. 

But if you "aid" them to the point that they receive the exact same money that would have got if they were still working, why the eff would anybody want to still be working??  I mean they are talking about unemployment benefits equal to the full amount of your pay?  Plus $ cash payments to every taxpayer? I mean if you're working some crap job in an "exempt" category  (janitor at a hospital, clerk at a grocery store, etc..), you gotta be feeling like you are the one who got hosed, right? Other people are sitting at home binge watching net flicks with the family and still getting full pay and you're out working and maybe getting the virus? 

If they really go thru with this shit, isn't everybody in an exempt job just gonna try to get themselves unemployed? Say they think they got a fever or they got nobody to watch their kids now that school's closed and try to stay home too? Or am I missing something?

9 minutes ago, nickman123 said:

I'm a dumb ass who never went to college but maybe some of you smart college boys on here can set me straight. As I understand it, our fearless leaders are trying to pass an "aid" package to help people put out of work or out of business by the Corona virus. Very decent and noble idea. Wasn't their fault all this crap happened. 

But if you "aid" them to the point that they receive the exact same money that would have got if they were still working, why the eff would anybody want to still be working??  I mean they are talking about unemployment benefits equal to the full amount of your pay?  Plus $ cash payments to every taxpayer? I mean if you're working some crap job in an "exempt" category  (janitor at a hospital, clerk at a grocery store, etc..), you gotta be feeling like you are the one who got hosed, right? Other people are sitting at home binge watching net flicks with the family and still getting full pay and you're out working and maybe getting the virus? 

If they really go thru with this shit, isn't everybody in an exempt job just gonna try to get themselves unemployed? Say they think they got a fever or they got nobody to watch their kids now that school's closed and try to stay home too? Or am I missing something?

unemployment is not even close to what u made 

I've also heard that depending on income that some of these checks will actually be LOANS, not 'free money' if there is such a thing. Similarly there's going to be interest free loans to small business who continue to pay their employees to stay home.

I own a business, but all the employees are family members. If I had a business with lets say 2 dozen employees and no idea when I'll be sending them back to work, I wouldn't BORROW and pay them to stay home. In that scenario, the business probably eventually fails due to the debt load where you are borrowing and paying employees not to work, but getting no revenue. This will never work. Owner would be better to kill his lease and shutter his business. Bankrupt it if he has to and start a 'new' business, once we've knocked out the virus.

Also, another fun thought if you have a good amount of cash, ... HYPERINFLATION. Your $750k in the bank, might give you $75k of spending power when this is over.. or $7.50. We can't have the entire US economy on 'pause' for 6, 9 months, 18 months. Nope, wouldn't be pretty.

What do you think front line responders are having to go through? What if you're fire/police. Maybe some of those 'workers' will decide to 'become ill' and look after their own family.

Just here to spread some joy.

abc

1 hour ago, I'm Sorry said:

unemployment is not even close to what u made 

That's the rub, this bill makes up the difference so you bring home the same or MORE then you were making....

But I swear, if I hear one more friggen Govt employee, who is going to get 100% of their salary no matter what happens to the economy, tell me to sacrifice, I'm gonna stick my foot so far up their Covid19...…...

I'm 75% sure I am going to lose everything by the time the Dems get done with this game...….I have no illusions of being anywhere close to the lifestyle I had prior to  this.  So sad......it was a fun ride while it lasted.

I just heard today they were gonna give SBA type "loans" to small businesses that had to close in an amount equal to 2 months overhead and payroll. At the end of the 2 months, if you paid your employees their wages, even though they aren't working, the loan would be forgiven. Supposed to keep the business and the employees around for when the business reopens. But wouldn't that amount to them getting unemployment equal to their full pay?

Business PERMANENTLY CLOSED due to COVID-19 - Valencia Ice Station, Ice Hockey Rink

Bummer, they announced that due to COVID-19 and the forced closure, they have shut their doors permanently. Will be interesting to see if the LA Kings pick up that Ice Rink as their own, it is one of the better rinks in SOCAL.

upset ice hockey GIF by NHL

So the whole CORVID-19, has mildly affected us. My kids are home full time, my wife is now, teacher, cleaning lady, chef, and nurse amongst her wife details😁 She is the one who is suffering... But the joys of being stay at home wife (HOMEMAKER) Wife cancelled fun trips, but she is changing her mind daily. May have to make run to "self-quarantine" in the desert.

As for my business, We are open. "essential business " Being an Aircraft repair station that serves many government agencies, numerous Armed Forces, and airlines across the world. We are still getting calls, repairs, and feeling blessed and thankful. But our business wont feel this for another month or 2  and mainly from the commercial side. This will be similar to 9-11 economically unless this turned around quickly.  My opinion is going to be different that others. All trade shows have been postponed or cancelled. I have cancelled business trips to customers till the order has been lifted. 

But would I be afraid to fly?  No... I would get on a plane..  I go to the markets and supply stores to get shit. I use hand santizer and alcohol. Plus I am germ freak as well so I am always washing my hands and using sanitizer. I personally feel we have to live our lives, if we are going to get sick and die. We have no real control over it in the end. If you stay clean and healthy. You should be alright.  Live your life because you only die once...  God bless you all. 

11 hours ago, nickman123 said:

I just heard today they were gonna give SBA type "loans" to small businesses that had to close in an amount equal to 2 months overhead and payroll. At the end of the 2 months, if you paid your employees their wages, even though they aren't working, the loan would be forgiven. Supposed to keep the business and the employees around for when the business reopens. But wouldn't that amount to them getting unemployment equal to their full pay?

I've heard the same. Although unemployment isn't full pay. We're starting to slow down so this could be an option for our company. We could cover one payroll but not two. I'd prefer them filing for unemployment so I don't have to deal with the Govt issued SBA forms and the BS I'm confident is involved. Go back to work America. Live Today! Die Tomorrow. Peace

47 minutes ago, CRUSTY said:

Business PERMANENTLY CLOSED due to COVID-19 - Valencia Ice Station, Ice Hockey Rink

Bummer, they announced that due to COVID-19 and the forced closure, they have shut their doors permanently. Will be interesting to see if the LA Kings pick up that Ice Rink as their own, it is one of the better rinks in SOCAL.

upset ice hockey GIF by NHL

To keep those rinks ready for reopening,  is roughly 50k a month in rent and electricity (keeping the ice).  Also the rink owners are getting screwed with the Cali no more independent contractors as well.  All personnel have to be employees, where before all coaches (figure skating too) and almost all staff were 1099 peeps.  

22 minutes ago, Cookie said:

To keep those rinks ready for reopening,  is roughly 50k a month in rent and electricity (keeping the ice).  Also the rink owners are getting screwed with the Cali no more independent contractors as well.  All personnel have to be employees, where before all coaches (figure skating too) and almost all staff were 1099 peeps.  

Very few Rinks (Ice and Roller) are independently owned these days, it takes deep pockets (Ducks and Kings).

We just literally played our last CAHA Playoff game there right before this COVID-19 craziness hit us in CA.

You're wrong about the ice/hockey rinks... the government will take them over to use as make shift morgues as the bodies pile up. Already happening in Spain.

I too was thinking about an 'isolation' trip to Johnson Valley. Especially cause I have 2 razors right now (not sure if the dude who gave me the deposit and is 10 hours away still wants it). 

The only 'reservation' I have about a trip like that is I wouldn't want to burden any emergency services should they be needed by us, so obviously, I won't drive the SXS like I usually do. 

Finally, I wonder if I'd get pulled over en route to the destination. I assume I could say that we're abandoning our home and running away ... living in the desert for a month and see what happens. 

I don't want to get arrested for trying to do a trip.

We'll see.

And I got a good 1/2 bed of firewood still in the truck bed. Might be hard to convince the wife, but depending on how long this goes, might be a good idea for sanity.

abc

40 minutes ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

You're wrong about the ice/hockey rinks... the government will take them over to use as make shift morgues as the bodies pile up. Already happening in Spain.

I too was thinking about an 'isolation' trip to Johnson Valley. Especially cause I have 2 razors right now (not sure if the dude who gave me the deposit and is 10 hours away still wants it). 

The only 'reservation' I have about a trip like that is I wouldn't want to burden any emergency services should they be needed by us, so obviously, I won't drive the SXS like I usually do. 

Finally, I wonder if I'd get pulled over en route to the destination. I assume I could say that we're abandoning our home and running away ... living in the desert for a month and see what happens. 

I don't want to get arrested for trying to do a trip.

We'll see.

And I got a good 1/2 bed of firewood still in the truck bed. Might be hard to convince the wife, but depending on how long this goes, might be a good idea for sanity.

abc

was thinking the same thing about a JV trip.....if nothing else just for the day.

Had to make a quick trip to OKC earlier this week.  Now I'm quarantined to work from home until the 6th.  Guess I'll have time to swap the fuel tank on my Jeep and try to figure out the weirdness with the electrical in the dash...

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Cookie said:

I can wait a few weeks for Vegas, I am there monthly for work anyway.  My point was gambling.

Just got off a conference call, my scheduled raise has been postponed, and there is hiring freeze.  That is great because all the people in my department are leaving the company tomorrow (scheduled).  I might be getting very busy with no more money.  I still have to happy I have a job :)

we're in the same boat... got the meggage today that all earned bonuses and scheduled increases are postponed indefinitely or until further notice... at least we're still busy :dunno: 

Edited by Orange_R

Indy was cancelled, probably rescheduled for august