Bobalos

Holley HydroMat for Fuel tanks

Has anyone used the new-ish Hydromat from Holley in their fuel tanks?   Off roading seems like the ideal application for something like this. 

My tank is just a big cube  with no sump or anything, seems like this would be a good addition when Im in it this summer.....

Are there any other vendors out there besides Holley?  They sure are proud of them things...... 

thanks

bob

My best bud bought a car with a stroked LS and had issues with the motor cutting out all last season. After messing with everything fuel related he decided to change the pickup and went to the Holley hydromat. Solved the issue and the car has run flawlessly ever since. I’d say he likes it. 

Added one 2 seasons ago. Worth every penny.

I used the older one when Holley "bought" the company, but that was with a low HP car. 

They had problems with flow on High HP cars and E85  - but It looks they fixed those  issues  now  they go up to dual 5/8" tubes 

The Pluses and Minus I see:

PLUS. You don't have to use a "pre" filter anymore

MINUS. I do wonder how you "clean" one if it gets clogged up with sand?

PLUS. E85  and race gas compatible (can't say that for Fuel cell foam)

MINUS. I could never find a HP rating or flow numbers and I hardly do anything under 850HP anymore, so I am reluctant to use one

PLUS. On a 500HP LS I am sure it would be the best solution with no need for a sump and no pre filter and no worries about slosh

I have a good friend put one in his rail, he says it sucks every last drop of the fuel out, no issues so far

love it, 

got mine when they introduced it at sema about 5 years ago, works as a prefilter, 

all cars come with a style of hydro mat, not really a new idea, if you look at the in tank fuel pumps the prefilter pickup is a smaller version of the hydro mat, 

we put one on @ITSWEEKS car, and before the hydro mat it would stumble when got low on fuel, with the hydro mat it ran strong then just died, looked into the tank and it used up all the fuel where you would think someone wiped the tank clean and dry   

they really work good , 

12 minutes ago, fullthrottleguy said:

I used the older one when Holley "bought" the company, but that was with a low HP car. 

They had problems with flow on High HP cars and E85  - but It looks they fixed those  issues  now  they go up to dual 5/8" tubes 

PLUS. E85  and race gas compatible (can't say that for Fuel cell foam)

MINUS. I could never find a HP rating or flow numbers and I hardly do anything under 850HP anymore, so I am reluctant to use one

PLUS. On a 500HP LS I am sure it would be the best solution with no need for a sump and no pre filter and no worries about slosh

These are really good points to think about,  

58 minutes ago, fullthrottleguy said:

This is my 15x15 fuel mat after two full.seasons and probably 500 gallons of pump gas. Cleaned up easily.

20190807_205824.jpg

20190807_205820.jpg

5 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

This is my 15x15 fuel mat after two full.seasons and probably 500 gallons of pump gas. Cleaned up easily.

20190807_205824.jpg

20190807_205820.jpg

Jeff-

Good point lots of surface area... like 100x that of a little 2" diameter filter

then again you are a pretty clean guy.. on second thought, scratch that idea

just incase the mat comes apart I still run a stainless steel pre filter, 

thanks folks, I appreciate the real world experience..

Bob

5 years on mine...no issues at all.  I pull it out and clean it by hand every two years.  Hasn't been that dirty. Just a little foam stuck to it is all.

~jw