onanysunday

Insurance pros and cons - Different companies

So my agent has had me with Safeco for 4 years ago. Decided to take some time and shop around. Companies I have on my list to call are Geico, Progressive, Travelers, Nationwide. I am also reaching out to my old State Farm agent to get quotes from her. Their rates had gone way up when I had them 4 years ago. Funco is still with them. Spent about 90 minutes on the phone with Geico this afternoon and already for some of the vehicles, motorcycles, and moho they are lower by $500 per year. Still have to price the Vette and homeowners policy with them. Any opinions of certain companies to stay away from in regard to making claims?  Will say at least 10 years ago I had a claim with State Farm for hail damage on our old Winnebago and they treated us well.  Any other companies not listed I should call? This will be time consuming and I will post my results. Yore results may vary.

Auto Owners has routinely beat everyone around here.

Business and personal.

Might check Amica. Very high ratings, cost????

Try AAA, 

Switched my RV policy from Farmers to Progressive last year, same coverage at half the cost. 

Find a good independent agent that writes for a number of different carriers and let them do the work for you. They have access to insurance companies that you have never heard of. I was surprised at the quote range when I switched from one of the big national advertised carriers to an independent agent and let them go to work.

51 minutes ago, 1tonfun said:

Find a good independent agent that writes for a number of different carriers and let them do the work for you. They have access to insurance companies that you have never heard of. I was surprised at the quote range when I switched from one of the big national advertised carriers to an independent agent and let them go to work.

This is exactly what I did and how I found Progressive for my RV policy. Also used them for my new homeowner and personal car insurance policies. 

My business insurance is complicated to find a garage keepers and transport policy and I took some great advice from @CBM and now have the same broker. 

I use Phil Hakopian at Cornerstone Insurance in Rancho Cucamonga. CA. 909-941-8090.

I'm with Safeco as well. My buddy is my agent. He's probably gouging me too. I think i'll shop his pricing. Commercial policies are totally different. And that company is killing me with Auto / Workers Comp and General Liability. Insurance is a complete rip-off! Peace

I shopped hard about 8 years ago, Wawanesa was the cheapest.  I ended up going with AAA and bundled the home with it, you get 20% off both policies when you do this.  I have had one claim, son totaled a car, they paid me out $3k more than I paid for it 6 months earlier.  No hassles either.  I have my Moho, Boat, and 5 cars with them.

I have to say that Cincinnati Insurance can't be beat.  yes they were cheaper than most and the claims process is second to none.  few years ago I had a few claims.  Over 200k and they were amazing.  I mean amazing.  Still in shock how good they were.  I was going though a bad year for claims and they didnt renew me.  I am going back next year when my claim history is clear.   Found Liberty mutual was great and beat everyone else prices.   I have not heard great things about the claims with Geico and progressive from RV'ers.   Like I said I would look into Cincinnati claims were amazing and that is what you want when you need insurance.  If they were 30% more I would still get them because of there claims process.  Great news was they were the cheapest back then. 

36 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

I have to say that Cincinnati Insurance can't be beat.  yes they were cheaper than most and the claims process is second to none.  few years ago I had a few claims.  Over 200k and they were amazing.  I mean amazing.  Still in shock how good they were.  I was going though a bad year for claims and they didnt renew me.  I am going back next year when my claim history is clear.   Found Liberty mutual was great and beat everyone else prices.   I have not heard great things about the claims with Geico and progressive from RV'ers.   Like I said I would look into Cincinnati claims were amazing and that is what you want when you need insurance.  If they were 30% more I would still get them because of there claims process.  Great news was they were the cheapest back then. 

Great, Another to check out. Done with Geico and would save $790 per year on everything except: Vette has a stated policy for $40k. Insured as a classic car and currently only paying $561 per year. Geico was $1597 per year. :scared:

2 hours on the phone today with Progressive and would save $1182 per year except the Vette is a problem. They have an agreement with Hagarty and the price is $1122. Apparently these companies don't like cars modified with superchargers. :igar: My insurance gal that has had us with Safeco is looking into some different options.  Can't keep the Vette alone at the discounted rate without multiple vehicles.  In the end probably not going to save much.  Paul she confirmed what you said that Geico and Progressive can be a very difficult process when making a claim. She can offer me coverage with Progressive if I want to go that route.  Good info everyone.

Cincinnati here also, like Paul said, they have been fantastic to deal with and absolutely amazing on the claims process. I think you have to find an agent for the, I don't think they will give you a direct quote.

Posted (edited)

Well, My agent did a pretty awesome job. Can Am and motorcycles are now with Progressive. Kept the Vette and my truck with Safeco. House, Moho, and other vehicles are now with Amshield. Some were there already but we bumped all limits to $250k/$500k/$100k. $500 deductible. Going to save $1031 per year. Guessing this thread may motivate others to save some $$$.  It was worth a few hours on the phone. Probably could have nickel and dimed it but I am happy.  Direct TV is next. Stupid.

Edited by onanysunday

@Az group in mesa are my agents but i dont like them since my girl left.   Dish is cheaper than dtv.   Use a app called players club 9 per month and is killer

16 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

@Az group in mesa are my agents but i dont like them since my girl left.   Dish is cheaper than dtv.   Use a app called players club 9 per month and is killer

Looks like Hulu Live has most of the channels I would need. Been paying close to $150 per mo and DT will only drop to $111. Believe Hulu live is around $50.   Players club looks interesting. How do you record shows? I do have a Roku box now for Hulu and Netflix.

My agents info:

Liz Eckburg

Direct:    602.633.4538

Offices:  480.447.2267

Fax :        888.884.0637

https://pleaseinsureme.com/

Sore subject right now for me...  I found out the hard way, stupid me for not knowing better, I had a catastrophic engine failure a week ago going from Anza Ca. to my great new place in Happy Jack AZ. I was towing my car trailer with a moderate load of materials, 2 grand kids, 2 dogs and stranded about 10 miles from blythe on ford lake road exit.  Geico would not cover the tow of my car trailer, and They would only cover 45 miles.  Geico said they informed the tow company...  Tow company shows up 1-1/2 hour later, oblivious to the trailer.   I convinced the guy to tow it, but would only tow it to the yard and charge 35.00 a day storage.  I said why the hell not, I'm already bent over.   The tow company towed it to my house, $1,650.00, and I rented a u-haul pick-up the next morning in Camp Verde, went to blythe, picked up the trailer, drove to Happy Jack, back to Camp Verde, and then back home.  Another sweet chunk of change for $375.00.  I am going to find a new insurance company for sure. Had I have known this lack of coverage, I would have had it because I still tow a lot of stuff from CA. to AZ.  Geico said and did everything they could do to deal with me as little as possible. What a disappointment.  So please don't beat me up too bad, for my failure to have better coverage.  If you have any good info to share on this, it will help, if not, please don't turn this into a sh-t show, I appreciate it. 

20 minutes ago, raptorrush said:

Sore subject right now for me...  I found out the hard way, stupid me for not knowing better, I had a catastrophic engine failure a week ago going from Anza Ca. to my great new place in Happy Jack AZ. I was towing my car trailer with a moderate load of materials, 2 grand kids, 2 dogs and stranded about 10 miles from blythe on ford lake road exit.  Geico would not cover the tow of my car trailer, and They would only cover 45 miles.  Geico said they informed the tow company...  Tow company shows up 1-1/2 hour later, oblivious to the trailer.   I convinced the guy to tow it, but would only tow it to the yard and charge 35.00 a day storage.  I said why the hell not, I'm already bent over.   The tow company towed it to my house, $1,650.00, and I rented a u-haul pick-up the next morning in Camp Verde, went to blythe, picked up the trailer, drove to Happy Jack, back to Camp Verde, and then back home.  Another sweet chunk of change for $375.00.  I am going to find a new insurance company for sure. Had I have known this lack of coverage, I would have had it because I still tow a lot of stuff from CA. to AZ.  Geico said and did everything they could do to deal with me as little as possible. What a disappointment.  So please don't beat me up too bad, for my failure to have better coverage.  If you have any good info to share on this, it will help, if not, please don't turn this into a sh-t show, I appreciate it. 

That sounds like a roadside coverage issue, not a insurance company issue. Often insurance companies will offer some form of roadside benefits as a perk but I wouldn’t really compare that to a legit service company like AAA or good Sam. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:53 PM, Squatcher said:

That's who I use, haven't had any issues.

Yep, AAA or Good Sam, insurance company tows are for simple stuff only...if you tow you need one of the two and I think you have to be a member for a year to get extended coverage.