Romans9

Mayor Garcetti announces water and power will be shut off for nonessential L.A. businesses that don’t close

https://ktla.com/news/coronavirus/mayor-garcetti-expected-to-hold-daily-briefing-on-l-a-s-covid-19-response/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti opened his daily briefing Tuesday recognizing what may have been the first teenage COVID-19 death in L.A. County and went on to announce actions against nonessential businesses that don’t close and a new portal for recruiting medics.

He reminded young people that the virus can hit them too, urging them to stay at home and practice social distancing.

“Your behavior can save a life and take a life,” Garcetti said. “And that life could be yours.”

The mayor addressed President Trump’s remarks from earlier Tuesday about having the nation “opened up and just raring to go by Easter.” Garcetti said he didn’t think L.A. would be back to normal “in that short time.”

“We won’t extend it one day longer than we need to,” Garcetti said, but emphasized that the “safer at home” measure had to be followed through.

The mayor said L.A. is six to 12 days behind New York in being hit with a wave of positive cases.

“The peak is not here yet,” he said. “It will be bad.”

Garcetti emphasized the need for medical workers who can test, treat, heal and tend to coronavirus patients. He announced that together with L.A. County, the city has opened up a portal for medical personnel recruitment, with both paid and pro-bono positions.

“We need to be prepared for some of the darkness that is ahead,” the mayor said. “Each one of us can be a light. We can light a match of hope. We can navigate that tunnel with each other and not alone. And more importantly, what we do can ensure that more people exit that tunnel together… and that our city will rise again.”

The mayor went on to announce the “business ambassadors program” — an effort to get nonessential businesses to close.

“This behavior is irresponsible and selfish,” he said of those that remain open.

He said the Department of Water and Power will shut off services for the businesses that don’t comply with the “safer at home” ordinance. 

Neighborhood prosecutors will implement safety measures and will contact the businesses before issuing further action, according to Garcetti.

“The easiest way to avoid a visit is to follow the rules,” he said.

On Sunday, Garcetti had announced the city’s online portal where high-risk residents could sign up to get tested for COVID-19. As of Tuesday, 2,800 tests were completed, according to the mayor, and in the coming three days, that capacity would double to 5,500 tests.

“Every test is crucial and I wish we could be doing so many more,” Garcetti said.

Similar to those of the past week, the press conference was held remotely with media dialing in by phone to heed social distancing rules.

The briefing came after Garcetti announced an emergency order Monday, prohibiting residential rental units from being removed from the rental market.

The mayor had also announced that restaurants and bars could deliver alcoholic beverages, as a means of stimulating business. 

An L.A. City Council meeting scheduled for Tuesday was cancelled until further notice.

L.A. County had 669 confirmed coronavirus cases as of Tuesday, with 11 deaths. The state had 2,566 cases with 51 deaths.

I heard that and thought what an arrogant piece of crap...………… he doesn't care...he's getting paid....they just want to destroy Trumps base...…...so tired of this crap.

Amazing the power some people think they have. Peace

Time cut the water pipes and power lines running to the mayors mansion

Freedom?  What freedom?

There Goes thousands of more jobs gone! what an idiot!!!

That would be an impossible logistics nightmare. 

Just now, TD said:

That would be an impossible logistics nightmare. 

From what I've seen from our wise leaders so far all the more reason to be concerned.

Posted (edited)

The demoncrats are hell bent on submarining the economy, it has proven to be highly more effective than the impeachment was in turning  public sentiment away from Trump.It literally shows that nothing is sacred, and they will torch whatever, and whoever to get the whitehouse back..

This is my take: this whole deal can go two ways..

1) Americans will finally see who and what demoncrats are all about, (mafia run, corrupt,power hungry, self serving pieces of crap),and america can return better and stronger than ever before. Unfortunately,  IMHO Scenario 1 is unlikely , as I have lost all faith in the free thinking level of the average sheeple american dope .. Reality is,the left isn't even disguising their crap anymore, it's right out in plain sight, and the media being an extension of them, will not cover,expose, or talk about any of it. So the average dope really does think it all Trumps fault, because thats all they ever hear anywhere. 

or 2). Americans will keep their noses buried in the I-phones, following social media, & the lame stream media,  and nod their heads like a bobble-head counterpart, and this thing is officially being driven off the cliff; with  chaos and rioting to ensue at some point..  At that point it will be an "anybody but Trump election" and then America as you and I remember it is forever gone. 

That is my grim take on it.. 

edit: here's proof we can just openly lie, and not talk about all the horshit LEFT wing  crap the Demoncrat are trying to attach to the stimulous bill.NYT

Edited by SCHMIDTY

I don't LIVE in L.A. 

And what is ANYBODY really gonna do about it?

WHINE???

17 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

I don't LIVE in L.A. 

And what is ANYBODY really gonna do about it?

WHINE???

Question by what authority does a public servant have to make such an order.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Romans9 said:

And then what? Just asking. No one here gets to vote in that city (well, maybe 2 of you). The city is a wasteland. Yes, the guy is a moron. Then what?

Now he's considering rent forgiveness. How does the property owner make HIS payment (if applicable)? Shouldn't HE make the rent payments from L.A.'s coffers for his voters? Again. Complain, and then what?

Edited by ahipara 55

Once a State of Emergency is declared, certain elected officials are empowered to perform actions or impose policies that they would normally not be permitted to undertake . . .

I was able to watch a few minutes of the broadcast.....guy could not have patted himself on the back more then he was already doing. He's clearly hellbent on upstaging or challenging anything the POTUS says.

35 minutes ago, Romans9 said:

He can't do it, if they are paying for those services the liability if a fire broke out would be huge.  Imagine no fire sprinklers or fire alarm.  he is a tool, I turn the channel as soon as something comes out of his month.

I also find it amazing that local politicians will call out Trump, and then the next sentence out of their pie hole say they are "working together", it what world do people do this???

1 hour ago, SCHMIDTY said:

The demoncrats are hell bent on submarining the economy, it has proven to be highly more effective than the impeachment was in turning  public sentiment away from Trump.It literally shows that nothing is sacred, and they will torch whatever, and whoever to get the whitehouse back..

1) Americans will finally see who and what demoncrats are all about, (mafia run, corrupt,power hungry, self serving pieces of crap),and america can return better and stronger than ever before. Unfortunately,  IMHO Scenario 1 is unlikely , as I have lost all faith in the free thinking level of the average sheeple american dope .. Reality is,the left isn't even disguising their crap anymore, it's right out in plain sight, and the media being an extension of them, will not cover,expose, or talk about any of it. So the average dope really does think it all Trumps fault, because thats all they ever hear anywhere. 

or 2). Americans will keep their noses buried in the I-phones, following social media, & the lame stream media,  and nod their heads like a bobble-head counterpart, and this thing is officially being driven off the cliff; with  chaos and rioting to ensue at some point..  At that point it will be an "anybody but Trump election" and then America as you and I remember it is forever gone. 

edit: here's proof we can just openly lie, and not talk about all the horshit LEFT wing  crap the Demoncrat are trying to attach to the stimulous bill.NYT

#2 is circling the toilet as we speak.  Nice while it lasted.

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

He can't do it, if they are paying for those services the liability if a fire broke out would be huge.  Imagine no fire sprinklers or fire alarm.  he is a tool, I turn the channel as soon as something comes out of his month.

I also find it amazing that local politicians will call out Trump, and then the next sentence out of their pie hole say they are "working together", it what world do people do this???

This^^^ and also he doesn’t have a say so of what Water and Power does. The Water and Power board of commissioners say so and the rate payer advocates. He’s such a moron.

Anyone remember the LA riots back in the 90's?

If this bonehead actually accomplished shutting off water or power to any business deemed "non-essential", they'll eff* it up and turn of power and water to unintended targets along with the businesses.

It'll result in mass looting and then full on rioting in short order.

Good times ahead.

30 minutes ago, RayClay said:

Anyone remember the LA riots back in the 90's?

If this bonehead actually accomplished shutting off water or power to any business deemed "non-essential", they'll eff* it up and turn of power and water to unintended targets along with the businesses.

It'll result in mass looting and then full on rioting in short order.

Good times ahead.

5h66ngK.jpg 

The State, the City, the County and the Federal Government cannot “require” or “order” actions without a law to draw its authority from.

In the case of the Covad19 crisis many of the States and local governments have issued “orders” to “shelter in place”. They are citing the CDC for their authority. When you research the authority of the CDC to issue such an “order” you find the CDC citing  Isolation and Quarantine guidelines taken from the Commerce Clause.  

Read closely.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/264

You have to be infected to be quarantined. 

It appears to me, without Declaring Martial Law and suspending the First Amendment there is no authority to force the citizens to “shelter in place”.

5 hours ago, Cookie said:

Excellent point. Pretty that would be a code violation. 

11 hours ago, SCHMIDTY said:

after the virus is done with the USA in 18 to 24 months when a vaccine is finally be made. the govt will be broke the dollar will be devalued  unemployment thru the roof run away inflation and the demoncrats will be able to blame trump. then Bernie will save us all.

10 hours ago, diesel-e said:

after the virus is done with the USA in 18 to 24 months when a vaccine is finally be made. the govt will be broke the dollar will be devalued  unemployment thru the roof run away inflation and the demoncrats will be able to blame trump. then Bernie will save us all.

I had a friend tell me that if Bernie were president, none of this would've happened...  Yeah, Bernie's going to offset decades of FDA/CDC entrenched bureaucracy... 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I had a friend tell me that if Bernie were president, none of this would've happened...  Yeah, Bernie's going to offset decades of FDA/CDC entrenched bureaucracy... 

1. Did you slap them?

2. How are you friends with a Bernie supporter?