Sign in to follow this  
ltpyro

Tips fpr a 091 to 2d install

I'll be starting the process of pulling the motor and 091 out this weekend to upgrade it to the 2d I purchased.  Looking for any tips or things to look out for when swapping from those that have done this.

Following.. getting ready to do the same thing. Looking for a 2 d still. Are you upgrading your engine too?

Other than needing some longer axles, it's pretty straightforward. Take a few notes on the engine angle with the car level it's usually tilted upwards 5-7 degrees for more ground clearance, also measure the space between the oil pan and skidplate so u can make it the same later. The nose cone Mount should be the same but the one towards the back bellhousing will need to be installed new, get a thick one at least 1/4" and make sure you put the tabs in front of the plate, so you can slide the trans out later without having to remove the brackets. Mount the trans as low as you can to minimize that angle on the CVS, but just high enough so your oil pan isn't resting on the skid pan if you ever hit a rock or  g out hard. Take some pics

I did this along with an engine swap a few years ago, I agree with paying attention to oil pan clearance as that was a lesson learned for me the hard way. But I bought the Kartek mounts as a template but otherwise they were useless since all the chassis are essentially different and had to make my own trans mounts. Also agree you will need longer axles but spend some time in mockup getting the best (least) angles that you can. 

4 hours ago, joeprenovost15 said:

Following.. getting ready to do the same thing. Looking for a 2 d still. Are you upgrading your engine too?

Yes, after the 2d is in I'll start the upgrade to a turbo(s),

Engine will sit 2 inches back and a couple of inches higher roughly.