banshee380

Want to upsize paddle tire...

Been doing research on here and also found a good thread on dune and dirt. Currently have 33x15 rears no.2  and 10.75x15 fronts on walker evans wheels

I want to step up to 36 #2 and 12.50x17's

Car - SCU lil bro with an Alper 440. Did 515 RWHP on redlines dyno. Have 2" hollows. 934's. Microstubs. S4S tranny

Only thing is I am not sure specs on tranny as I am 2nd owner. Not sure on gearing specs.

Any input?

IMG_3429.JPG

For some reason this pic makes the current setup look big. 

Plenty of people run big tires with that setup.  Ring and pinion will allegedly wear faster, but the only person I know that had issues is @tjZ06

1 hour ago, Lambro said:

Plenty of people run big tires with that setup.  Ring and pinion will allegedly wear faster, but the only person I know that had issues is @tjZ06

Yeah, I was just curious wheel size. I havent seen to many 17x7 wide wheels. I was looking at some douglas 17x12

Posted (edited)

You will feel a change in the gearing, but you have the power to pull it.  The best thing is you will feel a big change in the ride.

It will be smoother over the chop and bumps, and way better diving into holes. Very noticeable. Bigger tires make the bumps smaller. It's worth it. 

Edited by Roaddog

33 minutes ago, banshee380 said:

Yeah, I was just curious wheel size. I havent seen to many 17x7 wide wheels. I was looking at some douglas 17x12

You see some guys running narrower wheels, not sure what the width they are using.  Usually on really high hp cars.. Think it is a effort to get more forward bite

Gearing wise: does it feel "long" now?  If so, bigger tires will only make that worse.  Doesn't matter too much what your gears are, but more your riding style.  If you're duning everywhere in 2nd right now, bigger tires aren't going to help that.

7 hours ago, Lambro said:

You see some guys running narrower wheels, not sure what the width they are using.  Usually on really high hp cars.. Think it is a effort to get more forward bite

Or they don't want to swap tires to get in the trailer.

I have the same set up as Banshee, I borrowed a set of this bigger combo and ran it on my car.  

It was "longer", I was in second where I might have been in third, and they make my car wider where  I would have to change the rears to drive into my WW wide body trailer. 

But, like I said, the improvement in the ride was very noticeable. 

A couple of guys in my group did the change last season and say once they got used to the small change in the gearing it was not that noticeable and the ride much better. 

About $2k for all four 

Friend did this, going bigger on his big bro, found he like the smaller afterwards. Maybe try some from a friends car before you purchase.

15 hours ago, Lambro said:

Yeah, when I went to 36"s from 33"s I started breaking R&P every season and a half or so.  I can't guarantee that was all from the tires, but just my anecdotal evidence... 

-TJ

3 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

Yeah, when I went to 36"s from 33"s I started breaking R&P every season and a half or so.  I can't guarantee that was all from the tires, but just my anecdotal evidence... 

-TJ

Not sure what trans you had but Isn’t 33 as big as you want to go with a 2d generally speaking 

18 hours ago, 77charger said:

Not sure what trans you had but Isn’t 33 as big as you want to go with a 2d generally speaking 

I have an S4S

On 3/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, richard h said:

Friend did this, going bigger on his big bro, found he like the smaller afterwards. Maybe try some from a friends car before you purchase.

Yeah I have a buddy who has the tires I want I can ask him to let me borrow. 

21 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

-TJ

pics of said car? 

18 hours ago, 77charger said:

It was a PBS S4S.  I'd never put a 36 (or even a #2 33) on a 2D car. 

-TJ

33 minutes ago, banshee380 said:

pics of said car? 

Potter1.thumb.jpg.757c29015e6a2d39e22245b9897dc79e.jpg

Potter1.thumb.jpg.176111caf87e9a767ef44329184ab94a.jpg

Potter2.thumb.jpg.0737943e03fcdb1c849feb507b2b8490.jpg

Potter2.thumb.jpg.7b523e6b46b16cdc167275bc8fae64c3.jpg

Potter6.thumb.png.11f2bd7718d875d6d036ca03d0f6b834.png

Potter4.thumb.jpg.2dd045a726474a59964bc91a3ddac5c5.jpg

Potter3.thumb.jpg.fb70c2f7854061069f2522c50068831b.jpg

Potter5.thumb.jpg.ddb75f949927faf4f6e34d5f00bec112.jpg

Potter7.thumb.jpg.7eea0ea3dc7f737f1383ac64c8d8f0fe.jpg

8 hours ago, tjZ06 said:

It was a PBS S4S.  I'd never put a 36 (or even a #2 33) on a 2D car. 

-TJ

I see some who do put more on a 2d and I’ll ask they say that’s what was recommended 🙈I have an 091 and keeping 13.00s for a reason but yeh pbs or s4 go for it 

I went from a 14.5 dune sports to  STU 35s which only measures a true 33" on 15s. Less wheel spin for me and much better response of traction. 2d holding up so far. 

what are you trying to accomplish with the bigger tires?

On 4/1/2020 at 11:21 AM, Kevin said:

what are you trying to accomplish with the bigger tires?

Naked chicks with pasties drinking white claw.... why else would you go bigger tires? 

Well. Kartek has them in stock 😂

9730B9B3-2A9D-455A-8775-DCA80984B677.jpeg

C150F67D-07C2-420F-B10F-550F6E185999.jpeg

On 4/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, banshee380 said:

Naked chicks with pasties drinking white claw.... why else would you go bigger tires? 

:dunno: to make a good car worse.. or better.  i drove a few different cars this season and it was eye opening at how different they all are, even among the same builder. i am not happy with how my car performs so im looking at everything to make it better than it is. i run 38" dominator paddles on mine, im curious however how it would run with 14.50 dune sports, or 35.5's, or the 36's.  im doing a bunch of other changes this summer as well that will have a drastic effect on the car overall and my current tire may need to change after.

It doesn’t matter as long as it looks cooler. 😀 Plus with S4S you’ll be fine.  If you need a little less traction add some air. It will be fine! 

I just did the swap on my car a couple weeks ago.  I swapped because my cage was hitting the ground with the 33's.  I went to the STU 36x17 #2 on an 8" wheel.  I got the 8" wheel to give me just a little more height and so they would fit in the trailer easier. I haven't driven it yet because of the Covid crap, but I have two buddies with BFD's that run the same setup and love it. I have an S5 in mine and it's geared for 35's.  The 36's on 8" wheels stand 37 3/8 to the carcass...not the paddle.  My gearing should be fine because I used to be in 3rd most of the time in the small dunes, and 4th and even 5th in the big dunes.  I used to have 33x15 #1's and the cage would slam really bad.  I went to the 33x17#2's on an  8" wheel last season hoping that it would help but it didn't.  It' only gave me 1/4" of height.  I did notice a lot less traction on the 8" wheel even though the cups were  #2's.  They have a lot less surface area touching the sand that the 12" wide wheel did.  

IMG_3179[1].JPG

IMG_3176[1].JPG

IMG_3187[1].JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

when i bought my S5 last year the builder was very concerned about running bigger tire and said the trans should live alot longer if i stayed with the 33" tire. had 2 buddies with s4's run larger tires and they had lots of pinion problems just like TJZ06 did