Jump to content
mike dee

Just out of curiosity...

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, realbadlarry said:

First off the numbers are being spread by the Press....so we know we can't believe them. I mean if it was really as bad as they say, would CBS have had to use a photo of an Italian hospital instead of one in New York?  The stories of people dying from this leave out all kinds of information of their prior conditions. Nobody will say if these people had got hit by the flu bug if they would die as well? 

I don't think people know how badly this is hurting the economy. We are going into a Depression...not a recession.  It is going to be really, really bad with  47 million people out of work and no jobs.

The public shaming of people who just don't believe everything the press says is astounding.  This information is coming from the  same people who said that the ICE caps would be gone 10 years ago.  I'm sure this is a horrible virus and people will die,  I just don't think it is worth destroying our way of life.

If the US goes into a true depression, how many will die globally now that there isn't a bad guy ass kicker?  Does anyone think China cares if Danny the Dictator down there in the Middle East/Southeast Asia/South America/Africa slaughters half his population so long as the raw materials get churned out?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wish we knew what truly is happening in China. Essentially no new cases? Are they still fully locked down?

Yes we will go into a full economic depression. Drug and Alcohol abuse, suicides will skyrocket.

It will take a decade for the economy to come back.

This new normal blows. I’m 48 and have hypertension, but I’ve lived a full life and checked off every box I wanted to. 

If I died tomorrow, no one should weep. I’d be fine with it. I just feel bad for my kids. Prior to the virus the economic future and opportunities were being diminished by globalization and automation. Now they’re going to lose lots of friends and relatives and have a lousy economic future.

I’ve already ‘accepted’ that we could be locked down for 6-12 more months.

We’ll have to get creative to keep from going insane.

Be well.

abc

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rockwood All I know is, this shit is out there, we have no control of it much less a cure and the numbers displayed are a direct result of tested people. There isn't enough tests to go around so you tell me what the real number is. If you think it's ok to just resume life while people are getting discarded and thrown into freezer trucks with no proper burial, times that by 1,000 within a few weeks all to "save the economy" then your interests are miss-placed. Perhaps, you wouldn't mind being the doctor that has to decide who gets to live? Play Russian Roulet much? Feeling confident, go take a stroll through an ER today and ask how you can help? No, me neither. 

@ANGRYBUTTCRACK good for you man. I still have my whole life ahead of me. So I'll pass on checking out just yet. As for China, I don't think they have a handle on shit. They are in the thick of it right now for sure. I seen some video from some bloke that couldn't post it on Facebook for some reason, anyone see it? China man fishing only a few meters away from a floating corpse, bodies laid out in front of businesses up and down the street etc. Crazy. 

Anyhow, I'm still proud to be in the greatest country with the best of everything! I'm sure other countries won't fare as well as we will. We've been down before and we shall rise again. These days, it happens at lightning speeds. Like a flick of a switch hopefully. We'll get a handle on it I'm sure... just be patient. Thank you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Chingon619 said:

@Rockwood All I know is, this shit is out there, we have no control of it much less a cure and the numbers displayed are a direct result of tested people. There isn't enough tests to go around so you tell me what the real number is. If you think it's ok to just resume life while people are getting discarded and thrown into freezer trucks with no proper burial, times that by 1,000 within a few weeks all to "save the economy" then your interests are miss-placed. Perhaps, you wouldn't mind being the doctor that has to decide who gets to live? Play Russian Roulet much? Feeling confident, go take a stroll through an ER today and ask how you can help? No, me neither. 

@ANGRYBUTTCRACK good for you man. I still have my whole life ahead of me. So I'll pass on checking out just yet. As for China, I don't think they have a handle on shit. They are in the thick of it right now for sure. I seen some video from some bloke that couldn't post it on Facebook for some reason, anyone see it? China man fishing only a few meters away from a floating corpse, bodies laid out in front of businesses up and down the street etc. Crazy. 

Anyhow, I'm still proud to be in the greatest country with the best of everything! I'm sure other countries won't fare as well as we will. We've been down before and we shall rise again. These days, it happens at lightning speeds. Like a flick of a switch hopefully. We'll get a handle on it I'm sure... just be patient. Thank you. 

 

It's something worthy of debate and a valid question: is it worth the collapse of our country (not a recession, collapse) to reduce deaths from this virus from 028-.0.5% of the population (using worst case scenario predictions of 1-2M dying) to 0.05-0.1%? Nothing in life is guaranteed except death and we all must make a decision.  Motor vehicles kill us by the tens of thousands every year, yet there is no ban on them because we all made the decision that the risks are outweighed by the benefits.

Same goes for the United States.  Where would we go if this country went kaput?  How many of us would die if ?  I'm all for doing the right thing,  but one mustn't blindly follow the other lemmings off a cliff because we started heading one direction.  There has to be a point where we all stop and ask if it's worth it.  Disease is something we can't control, only manage.  Every single one of us, short of burying yourself in a bunker, will contract this virus and either succumb or not.  Yes, flattening the curve helps, but it is no guarantee of positive results.  It takes maturity to stop and think about something more than immediate death. We all die someday, but hopefully this country lives beyond all of us.

I, for one, do not think it worth collapsing this country to save 0.5% of us, even if that 1% included me or one of my loved ones. I'm not talking about temporary pain, I'm talking about a "if we continue down this path, the United States will collapse or never be the same" type thing.  While we've all been panicking like good lemmings, has anyone paid any attention to what's in the $6T stimulus bill?  There's enough pork in there to feed China for a year...

Cure?  We don't have a cure for nearly all of the respiratory illnesses that plague us every single year, nor do we really have control of them.  That's a fact of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It's something worthy of debate and a valid question: is it worth the collapse of our country (not a recession, collapse) to reduce deaths from this virus from 028-.0.5% of the population (using worst case scenario predictions of 1-2M dying) to 0.05-0.1%? Nothing in life is guaranteed except death and we all must make a decision.  Motor vehicles kill us by the tens of thousands every year, yet there is no ban on them because we all made the decision that the risks are outweighed by the benefits.

Same goes for the United States.  Where would we go if this country went kaput?  How many of us would die if ?  I'm all for doing the right thing,  but one mustn't blindly follow the other lemmings off a cliff because we started heading one direction.  There has to be a point where we all stop and ask if it's worth it.  Disease is something we can't control, only manage.  Every single one of us, short of burying yourself in a bunker, will contract this virus and either succumb or not.  Yes, flattening the curve helps, but it is no guarantee of positive results.  It takes maturity to stop and think about something more than immediate death. We all die someday, but hopefully this country lives beyond all of us.

I, for one, do not think it worth collapsing this country to save 0.5% of us, even if that 1% included me or one of my loved ones. I'm not talking about temporary pain, I'm talking about a "if we continue down this path, the United States will collapse or never be the same" type thing.  While we've all been panicking like good lemmings, has anyone paid any attention to what's in the $6T stimulus bill?  There's enough pork in there to feed China for a year...

Cure?  We don't have a cure for nearly all of the respiratory illnesses that plague us every single year, nor do we really have control of them.  That's a fact of life.

Back during the Obama years Thomas Sowell was interviewed and he was asked what his biggest fear concerning our countries security. He said it was being attacked by our enemies and Obama surrendering. At the time I thought it was very far fetched and highly unlikely.

Now seeing how easily people are manipulated into fear and cowering down I think Dr. Sowell was probably correct in his concern.

Who has the fortitude to send our boys into a fight where certain death looms? These are choices that seem far removed until they suddenly become reality.

 

I think this virus is serious and the ones among us deemed to be the most susceptible (elderly, overweight, heart conditions, respiratory problems, etc.) should be shielded by those not at high risk. That includes conducting business to ensure a stable economy which fuels the prosperity to protect those at risk.

 

My wife and I had our foster care license for several years and adopted my youngest son who was born to a drug addicted prostitute. We saw what it is like to see the venerable not have enough resources to manage basic things needed for survival.

This country is resilient but there is no way we cannot work for months. All the relief bill has done is to devalue our currency in the hope to buy a little time. That time is ticking away.

 

I guarantee if we took away the checks from government bureaucrats and elected officials state and federal, as well as public schools and colleges suddenly there would be a concessions made that protected the venerable and kept the country solvent.

We would have studies that would not over predict deaths by 20 or 30 or 50X’s the more likely results.

Right now we are being heavily influenced by unelected government employees who show a strong bias towards a political class that would love to destroy the very people that this panic is likely to decimate, that is small business and entrepreneurs. You cannot miss the connection unless you choose not to.

 

We are a culture that is now near completely emotion driven rather than driven by logic followed with reason.

Because emotionalism is easy and you can readily get most to agree with you it becomes the default of pussies, wimps, cowards and the self deceived. The elite use it to exploit their useful idiots and thus ignore what reason and logic expose.

 

Most of life’s essentials choices are hard. Real men make them and live with the consequences. 

 

 

Speaking of Dr. Sowell

 

5B9139F4-4C70-4AB1-9254-79127D1DBBCA.png.8f4545056f55265b5500d48786069ee2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this quote applies to what we are experiencing now,  "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".  The remainder of that quote is "nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts needed to convert retreat into advance".

I am not saying that we should not take precautions to protect ourselves, but when fear takes over, we lose! Fear drives irrational behavior, and worse yet, gives those who seek to take advantage of crisis the power to do things they could not get done in normal times.  When the masses are taken over by fear, the few in power gain strength.

Another quote I heard from Sen. Kennedy from Louisiana (going from memory, not verbatim), "a crisis does not change who we are, it just unmasks our true character"  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valid points by most here (not all)  I'm no lemming but we are adhering to the recommendations. I'm a pretty simple  but optimistic guy. Yes , it  sucks , I miss my friends and really miss my Grand Kids tremendously. 

The overreaction by the government may be just that but if we stand a chance of recovering economically we need to stay the course.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are learning day by day how to react. Even in this post from beginning to now its clear this is changing quickly.  I think we all need to do our best to protect ones with current health conditions and most importantly maintain a positive and strong mindset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of good points and thoughts here. Even after losing around four years worth of retirement, and probably not being able to punch out next December like was planned, other than not being able to visit my granddaughter I miss NCAA basketball and NASCAR more than anything. And a bunch of concerts I had upcoming. We'll all get through this and come out the other end stronger I believe. You guys and gals stay safe and healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going to ask 3 simple questions.

1. Do you want to survive this pandemic without anyone in your family getting sick?

2. Do you want this country to survive this pandemic with a minimal amount of disruption to the economy? 

3. Do you wear a mask and sanitize your hands every time you go out in public?

 

If your answer to #3 is no, then your answers to numbers 1 and 2 aren't really a yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy Rick Johnson 7 time National Motocross Champion has it and is recovering well. Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CHEFF said:

My buddy Rick Johnson 7 time National Motocross Champion has it and is recovering well. Peace

The upside to having it and recovering, you will then have the antibodies and never get it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we now going to do this shit every time a some weird disease comes out of China or Africa?  Because there's a new, unknown killer bug coming out  every 4-5 years.

More than 12,000 Americans died from H1N1 in 2009-10 and I barely recall a handful of news stories about "swine flu".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard h said:

The upside to having it and recovering, you will then have the antibodies and never get it again.

Has ^ ^ ^been proven yet  ? ? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost a friend on the East Coast, In NY.. hospital sent him home, said you’re not that sick enough yet. Died in his home soon there after. Was a healthy 33 yr old guy. So far thats it..  It’s real folks we are behind them out here. So hold on.  Bill gates could be the only smart one about this whole thing, and it may not stop till there is a cure. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ Anyone thing they could be thinning the worlds Herd here🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️. Nothing adds up at all.. Bunch of smoke and mirrors going on though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, South Bay said:

Has ^ ^ ^been proven yet  ? ? ?

This is what medical professionals are saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bansh88 said:

Are we now going to do this shit every time a some weird disease comes out of China or Africa?  Because there's a new, unknown killer bug coming out  every 4-5 years.

More than 12,000 Americans died from H1N1 in 2009-10 and I barely recall a handful of news stories about "swine flu".

This is what I'm concerned with.  And sheltering in place isn't the best solution.  South Korea is kicking this thing's ass without lockdowns except those who are actually sick, which they find by expanded testing (which we could've done just as quickly had the FDA not required their approval process for non-CDC tests) and tracking contacts.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/26/821688981/how-south-korea-reigned-in-the-outbreak-without-shutting-everything-down

I really hope we learn our lesson this one and allow for emergency bypassing of idiotic bureaucratic processes.  If this one has taught us anything, it's that we absolutely can't count on the government to make or do anything to help us. 

Remember this: most every major hospital and medical facility could've been cranking out tests starting in January.  The FDA shut it down since they weren't approved.  

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/new-fda-policy-will-expand-coronavirus-testing/

And they're still shutting down innovative ways to fight this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/03/31/home-coronavirus-test-fda-shut-them-down-but-they-solution/5080703002/

 

17 hours ago, GRANT@FUNCO said:

Valid points by most here (not all)  I'm no lemming but we are adhering to the recommendations. I'm a pretty simple  but optimistic guy. Yes , it  sucks , I miss my friends and really miss my Grand Kids tremendously. 

The overreaction by the government may be just that but if we stand a chance of recovering economically we need to stay the course.   

Sorry, lemmings was a bit strong.  Just maddening to see what's happening and how you have to dig through tons of "PEOPLE ARE DYING!!!" articles to get to the root of the problem.  A lot of us are business owners, or manage a significant portion of a business.  We all know how government approvals and process stifle us in our day to day lives.  This is another example of it that's going to cost too many of us our lives, and all of us will be damaged in some way that could've been prevented.  I'm afraid we'll come out on the other side too busy rebuilding to fix what went wrong.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all of these conspiracy theories going around, I was wondering if any of you heard about the crazy one where our Government is actually trying to use social distancing so that there isn't  an initial, massive spike in cases that overwhelms the hospitals? I know it sounds crazy, but they say that given a little extra time, we can manufacture more equipment that will help save lives as well as developing a possible vaccination that will prevent many from getting it in the first place.  Now bear with me cause I know it sounds nuts, but this particular conspiracy says that there actually isn't an ulterior motive behind our government officials (you know, the branch of our government that is basically divided 50% on all issues and virtually never agrees on anything, yet some would like us to believe that they all agreed to figured out a plan to kill hundreds of thousands of fellow Americans so that they could (                 insert conspiracy of the day here               )         

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, CRUSTY said:

Family Friend, elderly man that was in a Senior Assisted Living Home is now in Isolation / Hospice care, spent 8 days in ICU and there is nothing left they can do for him. He will be on a ventilator until he passes away, which they feel will be this week. His family is heartbroken, nobody can even see him and he will pass away alone.

He passed yesterday. If you followed boxing in the 70's, you might recognize his name or remember him reading his wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgemon_Lewis

 

Also on Saturday, my cousin (38) lost his best friend from High-school (Lived in Whittier, CA).

All COVID-19 related passing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

. Perhaps, you wouldn't mind being the doctor that has to decide who gets to live? Play Russian Roulet much? Feeling confident, go take a stroll through an ER today and ask how you can help? No, me neither. 

@ANGRYBUTTCRACK good for you man. I still have my whole life ahead of me. So I'll pass on checking out just yet. As for China, I don't think they have a handle on shit. They are in the thick of it right now for sure. I seen some video from some bloke that couldn't post it on Facebook for some reason, anyone see it? China man fishing only a few meters away from a floating corpse, bodies laid out in front of businesses up and down the street etc. Crazy. 

Anyhow, I'm still proud to be in the greatest country with the best of everything! I'm sure other countries won't fare as well as we will. We've been down before and we shall rise again. These days, it happens at lightning speeds. Like a flick of a switch hopefully. We'll get a handle on it I'm sure... just be patient. Thank you. 

 

Those said doctors die, We all die folks.. 🙏!!! And yes I’ve a 6yr old little girl and I am the only thing she has in this life. God forbid anything was to take me out, period. I know there are children all over the word that are just like her. Only one parent and nothing else in the world. Yes there will be many children left with nothing but a deep sadness , agony, fear, hopelessness and much much more. The mental state of that generation will be greatly effected and will need a great power to over come this so they can lead our countries into greatness.. that’s my fear that’s my worries that’s my sadness.. Not for us but for these children that are going to live through this nightmare. Yes. People die by the hand fulls everyday. But not the truckloads in every hospital.. it’s real, and  people will die, and the world will still turn after this.. They found a cure yesterday. Got sent to the military for confirmation. I think there test trials are out dated and full of shit.. 14 people test runs etc etc etc a year later.. I say eff* THAT. Test 3000 all at once 30 day later if more than 80% are good. Ramp manufacturing and disperse around the world ASAP. It’s better than hundreds of thousands of people dying from this shit or all the choices people have to make and the children that will lose the most precious thing in life... Be the dam savior, I don’t care, I know who My God is.lol. They talk peeks and what not. There will be no peek with out a way to stop it. Numbers are bs. Death is real though.. 
 

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/pandemic-scientist-says-his-team-has-discovered-a-potential-cure-for-covid-19-coronavirus-california/509-4a895be1-80f6-46b0-8812-e2d49d20bebf

Edited by 51dune50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

With all of these conspiracy theories going around, I was wondering if any of you heard about the crazy one where our Government is actually trying to use social distancing so that there isn't  an initial, massive spike in cases that overwhelms the hospitals? I know it sounds crazy, but they say that given a little extra time, we can manufacture more equipment that will help save lives as well as developing a possible vaccination that will prevent many from getting it in the first place.  Now bear with me cause I know it sounds nuts, but this particular conspiracy says that there actually isn't an ulterior motive behind our government officials (you know, the branch of our government that is basically divided 50% on all issues and virtually never agrees on anything, yet some would like us to believe that they all agreed to figured out a plan to kill hundreds of thousands of fellow Americans so that they could (                 insert conspiracy of the day here               )         

They have a cure not a vaccine and it’s been used but you know how they use red tape bullshit etc etc etc..

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/pandemic-scientist-says-his-team-has-discovered-a-potential-cure-for-covid-19-coronavirus-california/509-4a895be1-80f6-46b0-8812-e2d49d20bebf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Surf and Dune nailed it 

The current situation exposes the Great and Not so Great of the US system 

 

Edited by GRANT@FUNCO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

With all of these conspiracy theories going around, I was wondering if any of you heard about the crazy one where our Government is actually trying to use social distancing so that there isn't  an initial, massive spike in cases that overwhelms the hospitals? I know it sounds crazy, but they say that given a little extra time, we can manufacture more equipment that will help save lives as well as developing a possible vaccination that will prevent many from getting it in the first place.  Now bear with me cause I know it sounds nuts, but this particular conspiracy says that there actually isn't an ulterior motive behind our government officials (you know, the branch of our government that is basically divided 50% on all issues and virtually never agrees on anything, yet some would like us to believe that they all agreed to figured out a plan to kill hundreds of thousands of fellow Americans so that they could (                 insert conspiracy of the day here               )         

LOL.  Who needs to learn lessons from how other countries are doing it with better results right? :bigrin 

Edited by Rockwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

LOL.  Who needs to learn lessons from how other countries are doing it with better results right? :bigrin 

You mean the Asian countries where almost everybody wears masks, even when there is no pandemic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

You mean the Asian countries where almost everybody wears masks, even when there is no pandemic?

They are worn by people who are sick and must travel outside as a courtesy to others. Would you like to tell me more about Asians?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...