Jonesin'

Throttle return spring

Anyone have any tips or tricks for a stiffer return spring? Or would I just need a new pedal assembly? Seems like I only have partial stroke on the cable...

Here is mine, it's a honda. I like one on the pedal also.

15855423809145747915165878017197.jpg

15855424604592688716967665599626.jpg

I had the throttle on my Honda stick wide open one time with just the stock spring....scared the SH%$ out of me!  I put another spring from the pedal back to the throttle cable mount on the floor.

~jw

I’ll start hunting for a bigger spring. Don’t feel like grenading my engine

Sounds like it's hitting both stops just fine.  Is it sticking otherwise?

Easiest is at the throttle, looks like you have an empty spot from the stock cable eye, just stick one in there hooked on something towards the oil cap in the video posted.

I think you have other issues. In the video your throttle plate is not opening all the way when you hit what sounds like the stop on the pedal. You should get close to 90 degrees of rotation. Even if it wasn’t you would be bottoming the  end fitting (throttle body side) into the outer cable sleeve. Disconnect the cable from the pedal and pull on it. If it stops moving before you get full throttle you need to adjust the outer jacket back away from the throttle body using the two jamb nuts on that end of the cable.   Once you are sure that is adjusted correctly with no bottoming you can then adjust the cable at the pedal. With the pedal all the way up, adjust the cable using the jamb nuts on the pedal end of the cable so the cable end fitting lines up with the mount on the pedal. Connect the cable and adjust the pedal stop to get full throttle.  

Yes, my cable was snagging on the intake. I think it’s just time for me to order a new cable anyway.

couple of things

running the cable off the transmission kick down is not a great idea,  a better smoother option is the cable that raps around the TB or weld on a longer tab

the picture below will allow you to hook up the morse cable and use the picture to wrap around the Throttle body,

also make sure the morse cable is in good shape move it by hand and make sure everything is smooth,

as of a return spring , I run one but for a cleaner look I run one on the throttle pedal back to around the morse cable mount,  

ktk-tbac_1_270x202.jpg

8 hours ago, J Alper said:

couple of things

running the cable off the transmission kick down is not a great idea,  a better smoother option is the cable that raps around the TB or weld on a longer tab

the picture below will allow you to hook up the morse cable and use the picture to wrap around the Throttle body,

also make sure the morse cable is in good shape move it by hand and make sure everything is smooth,

as of a return spring , I run one but for a cleaner look I run one on the throttle pedal back to around the morse cable mount,  

ktk-tbac_1_270x202.jpg

Yes! I’ll order this up today

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 10:16 PM, jwest2sh said:

I had the throttle on my Honda stick wide open one time with just the stock spring....scared the SH%$ out of me!  I put another spring from the pedal back to the throttle cable mount on the floor.

~jw

Same here. I have 3 total.  One on the pedal. One that wraps around the throttle body shaft. Then a custom return spring.  With a sealed control cable. Works excellent.

26 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Same here. I have 3 total.  One on the pedal. One that wraps around the throttle body shaft. Then a custom return spring.  With a sealed control cable. Works excellent.

Got a pic?

On 3/31/2020 at 2:26 AM, Jonesin' said:

Yes! I’ll order this up today

On 3/30/2020 at 5:48 PM, J Alper said:

couple of things

ktk-tbac_1_270x202.jpg

J alpers suggestion is a good one- While I often run the control cable directly to the TB  it puts a strain on the Shaft bearings and seals as does a Return spring, I have seen a few good TB's ruined by heavy return springs - they will leak around the throttle shaft and that causes all kind of problems.  This definitely fixes that issue.

But if you go with Cable wrap having a return spring on the TB is way safer.  If you leave the Control cable (morse cable) on the TB you can run a bigger spring on the pedal and you have 100% hard connection to the TB  - this can be a Huge advantage is that if the throttle sticks you can put you foot under the pedal and lift it up and close the TB blade - big deal in an emergency

It’s a little hilljack but, you get the idea.

3B8DD24E-2201-45EF-9F92-B813F5E4A3DC.jpeg