Cookie

If or When will Glamis close?

Posted (edited)

I am planning on going to Glamis on Thursday, I know it is all open other Gecko Rd and Osborne for camping, but part of me is having a hard time packing and having some excitement for the trip, something is telling me to expect the Feds to close it all down soon.  Obviously the Facebook rumors and uneducated are fueling the fire.

So do you think the Feds are going to pull the rug from underneath me this week?

I need sand in my blood.

Edited by Cookie

The other day I read “”online”” that they were closing all of it down.....   So it must be true!

its closed, stay away. 

Not yet, friends in south and say about 20 or so other campers.

If it happens and I really don't think it will only because Mother Nature will close it down in just a few short weeks.

Yet  If they do shut it down it's going to take a little time to get everybody out. I think a 4 or 5 day trip is still possible for this week.  I am planning on going out in two weeks, I am a little skeptical  right now, but if it makes it thru the weekend I don't think it will shut down till the 13th or so. Figure they will do it the same way, They will announce it on Friday , Shut it Friday night and start asking people to leave by Monday morning.

You're just going to have to go and gamble. Given the current stay at home and social distancing orders no one at the BLM is going to say "Sure, come on out, we're open!" 

Go to Dumont, it's open.

We did a huge Loop today from wash 13 and it was Eerie to see Gecko and especially Roadrunner empty. Hardly anyone in the place but a few campers scattered in the washes. I say if you can do it safely getting your fuel and food get out of town and do it. This is the best time of year out here and why not socially distance yourself here instead of in your house. The flowers blooming every where are beautiful right now. And thousands of butterflies we're flying yesterday.

Posted (edited)

Oh and still plenty of fresh sand to be had. Big stuff by Osborne is tracked up a fair amount but you can still find some smooth stuff. Along Gecko is still pretty rough and The Ridges. If you get south of roadrunner and head back towards the hill across the dunes we found a lot of Great Sand

Edited by onanysunday

Gonna go next weekend not sure we’re we’ll camp maybe the normal spot or ugh washes just gonna take it easy 

1 hour ago, L.R.S. said:

Go to Dumont, it's open.

A couple riding buddies and myself were thinking about doing a trip to Dumont next week, but unsure if it will eventually be closed.

It's a little over 900 miles for me, less for my buddies who live in NorCal. Thinkin it's too far to take the chance it would stay open.

8 minutes ago, THD said:

A couple riding buddies and myself were thinking about doing a trip to Dumont next week, but unsure if it will eventually be closed.

It's a little over 900 miles for me, less for my buddies who live in NorCal. Thinkin it's too far to take the chance it would stay open.

To my knowledge Dumont doesn't have any paved campgrounds. If that's the case and the BLM follows the same guidelines as Glamis then Dumont will remain open like the washes. But I understand that 900 miles is a long drive to not be sure.

We are headed out this weekend, they are only closing “developed camping areas” I guess they can close the washes where rest rooms are but I don’t see that. The BLM posted that most dispersed camping areas are open 

https://www.blm.gov/site-page/blm-california-covid-19-updates

The heat will close it down before the BLM does.     

I’ll let you know tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, onanysunday said:

We did a huge Loop today from wash 13 and it was Eerie to see Gecko and especially Roadrunner empty. Hardly anyone in the place but a few campers scattered in the washes. I say if you can do it safely getting your fuel and food get out of town and do it. This is the best time of year out here and why not socially distance yourself here instead of in your house. The flowers blooming every where are beautiful right now. And thousands of butterflies we're flying yesterday.

Couple hundred less now,,,,they are on the front of my truck! :lol: 

entrance fees waived?

I will be there tomorrow, I think wash 12??

16 minutes ago, sollvssand said:

entrance fees waived?

BLM website “Please note that existing rules and regulations apply. Entrance fees have been waived.  Other fees, such as cabin rentals, group day use, and use of special areas will remain in effect. 

This is listed on the BLM site. I was just there Monday and they just started to close the "Developed areas" the washes and Gordons well should be open for now. 

El Centro Field Office:

• Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area – the following sites within the recreation area are closed:  
    • All campgrounds and areas adjacent to Gecko Road (including Cement Flats, all camping pads, Gecko Campground, Keyhole Campground, and Roadrunner Campground) 
    • Osborne Overlook Day Use and Camping Area 

The washes are closed, spread the word!!!!!

Especially between 10 and 14, barbed wire and land mines.  

8 minutes ago, Wash 10 Crew said:

The washes are closed, spread the word!!!!!

Especially between 10 and 14, barbed wire and land mines.  

Really? I heard there was gonna be battle of the mariachis bands starting at midnight friday night going all weekend?

2 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

Really? I heard there was gonna be battle of the mariachis bands starting at midnight friday night going all weekend?

Dont forget the EDM guys!!!!

35 minutes ago, Wash 10 Crew said:

Dont forget the EDM guys!!!!

That's OK I just blast some good old Opera music starting at 7am, just before  going on the morning ride.......

Breaks the EDM, Cookie Monster Rock and Mariachi music guys from playing the music the next night. 

4 minutes ago, MWB said:

That's OK I just blast some good old Opera music starting at 7am, just before  going on the morning ride.......

Breaks the EDM, Cookie Monster Rock and Mariachi music guys from playing the music the next night. 

I luv me some cookie monster!!!