Sign in to follow this  
John@Outfront Mtrsprts

thinking of upgrading my 2013 crewcab diesel 4x4 LTZ Z71, your thoughts?

Hi Guys

I have a 2013 LTZ silver Crewcab 6.5' bed 4X4 Z71.  209k miles.  A friend or a friend has a 2016 Denali 4X4 Diesel with 170k miles Black   (  im not a black truck guy)

1st Question, what is my truck worth out there?

details, All stock, LTZ z71 never been in an accident, Silver.  good paint,  AT tires 70% left,  zero oil leaks, Cast larger sump for engine, Cast deeper pan for tranny

l lowered the rear of the truck 2" so it is level with the front. Dark grey leather, sunroof. not abused--just a sweetheart for limited repairs

2nd Question:  Any issues you know of for the 2016 Denali (has 170k miles) ?  its the last year of the same motor I have in my 2013 and only 40k less miles.  or is there dramatic improvement in the 2017 year and newer truck, so much so that I wait and look for a deal on a silver 2017 truck or newer.  depending on what my truck is worth I may have to kick in $10k for the upgrade. I like how much more quiet it is. but it does seem less peppy then my 2013

Just keep in mind that the injection pumps go out in the LML causing thousands of dollars in damage.  But that can be avoided with a Fass pump and filter set up.  

I was just talking to friend of mine today who has a 2013 with 170k miles, and his pump just went out. He said the pump explodes internally and the aluminum goes into the injectors. $11k to fix. Yikes. 

I'm gonna keep my 2007  LBZ, I bough it new and still going strong. 

8 minutes ago, Roaddog said:

I was just talking to friend of mine today who has a 2013 with 170k miles, and his pump just went out. He said the pump explodes internally and the aluminum goes into the injectors. $11k to fix. Yikes. 

I'm gonna keep my 2007  LBZ, I bough it new and still going strong. 

I have the same (2008 Classic), 225,000 miles and I love it. 

To me it would not be worth it unless the 16 is really cheap. 

I drove an 08 at work and got upgraded to an 18 the end of 18. HUGE difference. It will not be as much for you because you are already closer in hp than I was with the 08. 

I  regularly pull heavy loads and trailers with the 18 and  nothing slows it down. Hills are a non issue and fuel mileage is good even carrying large loads. I grossed 21,000 pulling a trailer and got 13 mpg doing it.  16 mpg with the empty gooseneck coming back

2020’s have crazy GVWR

42 minutes ago, jo blo said:

2020’s have crazy GVWR

Yep. My 15 is 30k the 2020 40k GCWR.

great info guys!

2018 Denali 4x4 long bed 23,xxx miles  68k

1 hour ago, Southbayrhino22 said:

Yep. My 15 is 30k the 2020 40k GCWR.

WTF?.. wow.

02 GMC Sierra SLT with 8.1 bought new. It has  107,000 miles on it (not my daily driver)  It can Tow a 11000 lb Toyhauler around without an issue.  Paid it off back in 07. Up keep and repairs cost about $1500 a year just because I like keeping my truck in good condition.  No truck payment!! PRICELESS

Yup as mentioned above.  Unless the injection pump has been replaced I would stay far far far away from any of the trucks that have them.  That goes for Ford and Dodge.  Huge lawsuits going on with it.

it appears from my research that all LML 2011 to 2016 have the weak CP4 pump.  it appears there are two options. cheapest is to replace with same CP4-4.2. an upgraded pump from Bosch or the other option is to do a CP3 conversion. seems this pump is a workhorse. and costs about $800 more. 

your input

On 3/31/2020 at 8:36 PM, surf and dune said:

I have the same (2008 Classic), 225,000 miles and I love it. 

you ever drive that truck over to Seal Beach......river parking lot? I see a Chevy with a Glamis sticker on it in that lot quite a bit.

7 hours ago, spize909 said:

you ever drive that truck over to Seal Beach......river parking lot? I see a Chevy with a Glamis sticker on it in that lot quite a bit.

No. I live right by there, but I don't have a Glamis sticker on it. (My trailer has a GD,com sticker though)!

If you can hold out about 3-6 more months, my crystal ball tells me there will be some amazing deals on new 2020 trucks.....

16 hours ago, surf and dune said:

No. I live right by there, but I don't have a Glamis sticker on it. (My trailer has a GD,com sticker though)!

I'm building the homes on the river...across from Ballast pt.

42 minutes ago, spize909 said:

I'm building the homes on the river...across from Ballast pt.

Nice. I'm a builder myself.