Sign in to follow this  
D-n-Tyke

Looking for help with a vibration HW problem.

I am currently a senior at SDSU in my final semester and with everything going to virtual teaching due to C-19 things are going sideways fast. Unfortunately for this class that means a Professor that is not very responsive to email questions about the homework.

I am always blown away by the knowledge base her at GD.com so I hoping to leverage that in asking for help with this problem. Is there someone with a solid knowledge of vibration that can walk me thru this problem. I don't just want the answer but am hoping to get a better understanding of how to do a problem like this by going step by step.

I am pretty sure that I have answers to parts 1 and 2 (but that is only with about 65% confidence). But as soon as I get to part 3 and past that I a get lost.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

ME-520 HW Prob.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here is what I have for parts 1 and 3 of the problem. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if you see any mistakes with what I have so far.

1084400509_ME-520HWProbPart1and2ANS.thumb.jpg.f74db8c16eef2230fe3ed4fae8ed461b.jpg

Edited by D-n-Tyke

Oh man I bet @Rockwood@tjZ06, and @socaldmax are gonna have a 3 page discussion on this. Thanks for posting I need something to read and learn today. 

1 hour ago, jtmoney714 said:

Oh man I bet @Rockwood@tjZ06, and @socaldmax are gonna have a 3 page discussion on this. Thanks for posting I need something to read and learn today. 

I bet you're right!

As for SDSU, my son Brad would have been a senior this year but (partially) because of shitty professors he was unable to maintain his 3.0 for the business college and ended up back home midway through the year last year.  It is ridiculous the people the state hires with OUR money to teach our kids. He's completing what he can at the JC and loves his teachers. Exactly what my oldest went through but he did 2 years at SAC and had great teachers and got his degree at UCSC (Santa Cruz) and had mostly douchebag liberal non attentive, not teaching professors.

OK, I'm done.

Good luck and congrats on almost being at the end!

1 hour ago, jtmoney714 said:

No sir.  Gonna punt on that.  Haven't had to use any of that knowledge for 20 years now.  It's gone. :bigrin 

6 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

No sir.  Gonna punt on that.  Haven't had to use any of that knowledge for 20 years now.  It's gone. :bigrin 

You aren't suggesting that what you learned in school wasn't totally necessary are you?

1 minute ago, richard h said:

You aren't suggesting that what you learned in school wasn't totally necessary are you?

LOL, never!  My professors knew everything.  Having never had a real job put them in the perfect position to tell me what I need to know in the real world since they weren't blinded by such trivialities as turning a profit. :bigrin 

Just now, Rockwood said:

LOL, never!  My professors knew everything.  Having never had a real job put them in the perfect position to tell me what I need to know in the real world since they weren't blinded by such trivialities as turning a profit. :bigrin 

Bet they're still drawing a check though!

1 minute ago, richard h said:

Bet they're still drawing a check though!

The students in the one class they actually teach (not a grad student TA) will miss them. 

I sure did hate this class, thanks for the reminder!

I too am a senior at SDSU and agree online classes are far from okay.  I had vibrations with Demasi last semester and that class was insane. I quickly blocked everything I learned in that class from my memory as soon as I turned in the final project. I could send you my homework’s and final project if you’d like. Most of the stuff we did was airfoil related so I’m not entirely sure how well it’ll cross over. 

My Co worker has a Master in ME, He has told me that vibration was the toughest part of all his schooling.

I am going to show this to him and see what he says.

Good luck !!

2 hours ago, spize909 said:

I bet you're right!

As for SDSU, my son Brad would have been a senior this year but (partially) because of shitty professors he was unable to maintain his 3.0 for the business college and ended up back home midway through the year last year.  It is ridiculous the people the state hires with OUR money to teach our kids. He's completing what he can at the JC and loves his teachers. Exactly what my oldest went through but he did 2 years at SAC and had great teachers and got his degree at UCSC (Santa Cruz) and had mostly douchebag liberal non attentive, not teaching professors.

OK, I'm done.

Good luck and congrats on almost being at the end!

Yeah, I have gotten pretty lucky, and did major research at ratemyprofessor.com before picking my professors each semster, and have only had 2 professors that were bad/worthless. Unfortunately there are classes that they only offer one section a semester and that is who you are stuck with. When I got those professors I just had to tell myself suck it up buttercup and put in twice as much effort as I should have if I would have had a good professor just to pass the class.

I applaud your son for going to JC and not giving up. That was the route I went. Got all my GE courses (freshman and sophomore yr) done at JC and then moved on to SDSU for my upper level class. And I have to agree for the most part the professors at JC put more effort in.  Although with that said I have had professors at SDSU that I loved and really worked at being able to get us to understand the subject.  My biggest problem is that the new good professors the dept seem to burn out by over working them (at least in the ME dept) and the end up quiting. My one teacher was teaching 4 classes plus background work for the dept. He was working roughly 14hr a day sometimes more. Needless to say he is not there anymore.

1 hour ago, Dylanshaffer said:

I too am a senior at SDSU and agree online classes are far from okay.  I had vibrations with Demasi last semester and that class was insane. I quickly blocked everything I learned in that class from my memory as soon as I turned in the final project. I could send you my homework’s and final project if you’d like. Most of the stuff we did was airfoil related so I’m not entirely sure how well it’ll cross over. 

Yeah had hoped to take it last semester with Kilne but just didn't work out with my schedule last semester and I think he only teaches it in the fall. Ofcourse this semester there was only 1 section for me to choose from. Thanks for the offer but like you said I don't think we were taught the same thing (surprise surprise). We haven't talked about airfoils at all in this class (sounds like you are AE). 

Doesn't this directly relate to the angle of the dangle...

I wish I could help, but I never took any ME classes.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, D-n-Tyke said:

Yeah, I have gotten pretty lucky, and did major research at ratemyprofessor.com before picking my professors each semster, and have only had 2 professors that were bad/worthless. Unfortunately there are classes that they only offer one section a semester and that is who you are stuck with. When I got those professors I just had to tell myself suck it up buttercup and put in twice as much effort as I should have if I would have had a good professor just to pass the class.

I applaud your son for going to JC and not giving up. That was the route I went. Got all my GE courses (freshman and sophomore yr) done at JC and then moved on to SDSU for my upper level class. And I have to agree for the most part the professors at JC put more effort in.  Although with that said I have had professors at SDSU that I loved and really worked at being able to get us to understand the subject.  My biggest problem is that the new good professors the dept seem to burn out by over working them (at least in the ME dept) and the end up quiting. My one teacher was teaching 4 classes plus background work for the dept. He was working roughly 14hr a day sometimes more. Needless to say he is not there anymore.

Yeah had hoped to take it last semester with Kilne but just didn't work out with my schedule last semester and I think he only teaches it in the fall. Ofcourse this semester there was only 1 section for me to choose from. Thanks for the offer but like you said I don't think we were taught the same thing (surprise surprise). We haven't talked about airfoils at all in this class (sounds like you are AE). 

He had a calculus class that he had zero professor options on. Got a D the first time and then asked for course forgiveness and D'd it again. He always had A's in math and did AP Calc in HS. It was a shit professor. He had on problem with the same class at Citrus (JC). He only had to take that class because when he started he was majoring in computer science......or engineering and switched to a business major and wanted the minor on the computer side. He also worked and partied a little too hard...it all just caught up with him. He'll finish in a semester next year at either SDSU or up here at Cal Poly or LaVerne.

17 hours ago, Dylanshaffer said:

C784BDBB-5B39-4748-BE65-5F6F590449B7.jpeg

HA HA me having barely passing Algebra 2, what it all that shit you posted.... My nephew is a Senior at CSLB in ME and he is bummed that they canceled graduation. I recall him discussing fluid dynamics and such but never Vibrations. He is going to try and get in to a marine "boat" job. I have another nephew in nowheres Indiana doing ME too. Neither of them know/knew why they went into ME but that's what they choose. Meh

I literally, I mean literally, have no idea what I’m looking at. It’s as if it’s in a foreign language that I’ve never seen before. 
Good luck to you!