Sand Shark

Johnson Valley ride

Last weekend we heading to Johnson Valley for some camping and riding.  Weather was a little on the warm side, but when there was a breeze it was not bad.  A lot of people were out there enjoying the desert.  Johnson Valley is a cool place to ride as it offers a variety of of places to go. You can do high speed desert to slow technical rock crawling.  The one thing the place is not lacking is whoops for miles.  You could tell when you were on part of the King of the Hammers race course as the whoops increased in size and the trails got a lot rougher. 

We checked out the Giant Rock, Cougar Buttes and Hercules Finger.   

Great weekend with only some minor damage to my friend's X3 after he rolled it 4 or 5 times down a sand hill.   Nobody was hurt.  

Giant Rock is pretty cool at was maybe 15 miles from where we were camping.

giant rock 1.jpg

gian rock 2.jpg

giant rock 3.jpg

giant rock 4.jpg

giant rock 5.jpg

After leaving Giant Rock we decided to take these trails that wrapped around the mountain.  That is were we saw a cool sand hill.  It was all good until my friend decided to go a little higher and as he turned he center punched a rock with his front bumper and over they went.  The ass end of the his X3 did not spin around like he was expecting and he kept going straight into the rock.  LOL!

Luckily it was super soft deep sand so no major damage.  He bent both lower radius rods, one rear axle, the front bumper was smashed in a little and some grass in the cage.  I had some spare radius rods so we change one of the lowers with another lower and used my extra middle rod to replace the other lower rod so he could drive it back to camp.   We swapped out the axle when we go back to camp and straightened out one of he bent radius rods by running it over with a truck tire.  Straightened out the bumper and the front plastics went back into shape.  

chuck 1.jpg

chuck 2.jpg

chuck 3.jpg

chuck 4.jpg

chuck 5.jpg

chuck 6.jpg

chuck 8.JPG

chuck 9.jpg

chuck 10.jpg

Edited by Sand Shark

On Saturday we headed over to Cougar Buttes to play in the rocks.  

cougar 1.jpg

cougar 2.jpg

cougar 3.jpg

cougar 4.jpg

cougar 5.jpg

cougar 6.jpg

cougar 7.JPG

cougar 8.JPG

IMG_1032.jpg

cougar 9.PNG

cougar 10.PNG

cougar 11.PNG

cougar 12.jpg

Sunday we headed over to check out Hercules Finger.  Pretty cool rock formation.

hecules finger 1.jpg

hercules finger 2.jpg

hercules finger 3.jpg

hercules finger 4.JPG

Great pictures and sharing....I do NOT know JV like I would like...need to get out there again.

:cheers:

Just now, CRUSTY said:

Great pictures and sharing....I do NOT know JV like I would like...need to get out there again.

:cheers:

This was only my 3rd time out there.   This trip no ride to Slash X as it was not open.    We camp off of Boone Road where King of the Hammers takes place.  Pretty cool to see Aftershock and Chocolate Thunder in person.   We went through the valley where some of the other rock trails are located.  When you see it in person you really appreciate how nuts the King of the Hammer racers really are to do that stuff. 

Suspension gets a workout out there as everywhere there are sections of 3' - 4' deep whoops for miles. 

Super lucky your friend didn't hurt the radiator.  Glad you had some spares!

JV is definitely on my must-do list.

Thanks for the photos.

Edited by 1HasBeen

Love JV. We've got 5 acre camp with a small homestead house south of Means dry lake at the end of Larrera Road. The good stuff is south of 247 although we wander over to OHV area now and again. Breakfast served at clubhouse every Saturday.

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5356.jpg

Edited by ahipara 55

Get up on the ridges and they aren't whooped out.  Lot's of riding out there.

Looks like an awesome place to explore. 

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

Get up on the ridges and they aren't whooped out.  Lot's of riding out there.

The ridges were not to bad.  I don't mind the whoops, just have to maintain 50+ over them or you can't stay on top of them .   

5 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

Sunday we headed over to check out Hercules Finger.  Pretty cool rock formation.

hecules finger 1.jpg

hercules finger 2.jpg

hercules finger 3.jpg

hercules finger 4.JPG

Even the rocks seem to be saying ***** Ewe California.  Looks like a fun ride.  How hot was it out there?

26 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Even the rocks seem to be saying ***** Ewe California.  Looks like a fun ride.  How hot was it out there?

Lol!   It was around 90, but there was a nice breeze.