sausage450r

Rv coach battery not charging on shore power

Need some electrical help from the gd.com rv experts.

in the last year and a half i’ve noticed my coach battery is not charging when plugged into shore power. About a year and a half ago, after 3 months of no use, battery was dead. Charged and again notice after sitting 2 months, battery dead. Put in new battery, same result. Was never an issue first year of ownerhip. 

One thing i know for sure; when plugged into shore power, my house batteries charge but not the coach battery. All my other rv’s this was not the case.

any ideas?

FCAD422F-AE0D-4DC5-A81E-9B234D577648.jpeg

Add a battery maintainer to the coach battery so it keeps them charged when plugged into shore power. My coach is the same way, only house batteries charge on shore power.

Hmm. I always assumed chassis battery was not charged by shore power. Whenever I store I put a trickle charger on the chassis battery.

My house batteries always charge on shore power.

Edited by DTA

On my coach shore power doesn't charge my chassis batteries, only house batteries.  I use the battery shut off to prevent my chassis batteries from going dead

1 minute ago, b1stin said:

On my coach shore power doesn't charge my chassis batteries, only house batteries.  I use the battery shut off to prevent my chassis batteries from going dead

However, whenever you use the battery shutoff (my) house batteries dont charge on shore power.

13 minutes ago, DTA said:

However, whenever you use the battery shutoff (my) house batteries dont charge on shore power.

Same here.....

and should add, this is my first A, only had c’s and youhaulers prior. 

I guess the theory is coach batt seperate from house to not kill all batteries?

i have a momentary switch on the dash, but no effect. Must just be for generator, but its a spring loaded rocker and generator start switch is 15’ away

Edited by sausage450r

The rocker on the dash "borrows" power from your house batteries in the event coach battery runs low to start engine. You must have a Winnebago Vista?

Edited by ahipara 55

I wire up a battery tender cable to my house batteries so that I can put a battery tender on them. Don't leave coach plugged into shore power for more than a week or so at a time. It boils the batteries and trashes them. Keep an eye on water levels.

There was an outlet in the compartment next to the battery box on my coach so I installed the trickle charger in the compartment and when ever the coach is plugged in or the generator is running it charges the coach batteries. I also have a dead man switch on the coach batteries so i doesn't kill the batteries when its not plugged in.

9 minutes ago, ahipara 55 said:

The rocker on the dash "borrows" power from your house batteries in the event coach battery runs low to start engine. You must have a Winnebago Vista?

Itasca, same thing/manufacturer/chassis

An automatic charge relay could solve your issues.
Basically, it connects the battery banks together if the voltage gets above 13.3 volts. Then it separates the batteries if the voltage drops below 12.8 volts (some units are adjustable.

Here is a basic diagram of how it is connected

ACR diagram.jpg

I have the Blue Sea unit and it has worked flawlessly.

Here it is for under $100:

From Jamestown distributors

8970a.jpg

1 hour ago, journeyman said:

I have the Blue Sea unit and it has worked flawlessly.

Here it is for under $100:

From Jamestown distributors

8970a.jpg

I’m a blue sea dealer $75 for that model

all coaches are different but appears that something new is "on" on the chassis battery. peehaps you installed something snd wired it to the wrong battery.  i know my coach when shire power is present, it charges the house batteries first unril they reach like 13 volts then it also starts charging the chassis batteries.  perhap your house batteries never get high enough for the chassis battery to be maintained. or find the source of the draw.  one possibility is the diode set in the alternator. when leaking can cause a draw.  check that out too

BTW.

The ACR also makes the "battery isolator" obsolete. The isolator has big heat sink fins on it because it has semiconductors inside and loses charge through heat. It is not a lot, but there is energy loss that turns into heat.

The automatic charge relay almost completely eliminates this, giving you nearly 100% or the charge energy to your batteries.

5 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

all coaches are different but appears that something new is "on" on the chassis battery. peehaps you installed something snd wired it to the wrong battery.  i know my coach when shire power is present, it charges the house batteries first unril they reach like 13 volts then it also starts charging the chassis batteries.  perhap your house batteries never get high enough for the chassis battery to be maintained. or find the source of the draw.  one possibility is the diode set in the alternator. when leaking can cause a draw.  check that out too

I think my 2 year old flipped a switch  that im unaware of. There are about a dozen rocker switches on the dash that do various things im unaware of the true purpose. Im thinking its related to the failed breaker in the inverter on the tv upront or maybe a switch for the inverter on rear tv. Probably should look at the outside stereo too

Check the RV plug that plugs into the outlet. Mine had one of the hot wires pulled out of the cord cap so it wouldn’t charge