Transporting your SxS to the Trailhead?

15 hours ago, wesinls said:

There's a few companies out there that make them...when I had a dually an 5th wheel i thought about doing this, but never pulled the trigger.
FABITUP | Washington UTV Cage & Rack Fabricator

over-cab-2.jpeg

The things that instantly jump out at me are

Backing that thing up there must be almost as much fun as climbing down so I don't fall and break something I plan on using in the future. Like a arm or leg.

Next thing is that front sway bar on the truck must take one hell of a load around any corner high or low speed.

• Like 2

My buddy has a car hauler. We loaded my sons xp1000 on the top, my Jeep Grand Cherokee next, and his sons RS1 on the back. Driving the RZR to the top and back down wasn’t that big of a deal. The crappy part is finding a place to stand when getting out and finding a place to stand when strapping it down. Those two things were a little sketchy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MWB said:

The things that instantly jump out at me are

Backing that thing up there must be almost as much fun as climbing down so I don't fall and break something I plan on using in the future. Like a arm or leg.

Next thing is that front sway bar on the truck must take one hell of a load around any corner high or low speed.

Ya true - i guess if you're uncoordinated and can't drive in a straight line this would be tough. :D-  Cab over campers prob put more stress on a sway bar and don't tie directly into the front frame like these appear to do.  I do more insane things when i drive in the dunes that this setup would ever do.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

How about towing it backwards on a tow dolly?

I'm really not a big fan of driving a truck around with a SxS on the roof. That's in addition to the risks and hassles involved in driving it up there and getting it down.

If any tires directly touch the pavement, must be street registered. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 11:19 AM, Lord of the Dunes said:

How about towing it backwards on a tow dolly?

I'm really not a big fan of driving a truck around with a SxS on the roof. That's in addition to the risks and hassles involved in driving it up there and getting it down.

Cool thread. 

I took this screen shot for a buddy who asked to use my Tow Dolly the wrong way. 

Screenshot_20220417-192456_Google.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chingon619 said:

Cool thread. 

I took this screen shot for a buddy who asked to use my Tow Dolly the wrong way. 

Screenshot_20220417-192456_Google.jpg

Here's a pic of a tow truck driver towing a car backwards. I'm just assuming he knows what he's doing. I've seen a lot more pics like this.

Tow Your Car Safely - VisiHow

Transportation and Logistics! A white tow truck, seen from behind, towing a  white panel van to the repair shop. stock photo  e45ee4a5-d53e-4bc9-b8c9-e2654183623f

Here are a couple of RVs towing their car backwards. I'm not going to assume they are experts, but apparently they're doing it and haven't wrecked anything yet.

Towing the un-towable? - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums

Tow backwards - iRV2 Forums

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Here's a pic of a tow truck driver towing a car backwards. I'm just assuming he knows what he's doing. I've seen a lot more pics like this.

Transportation and Logistics! A white tow truck, seen from behind, towing a  white panel van to the repair shop. stock photo  e45ee4a5-d53e-4bc9-b8c9-e2654183623f

Here are a couple of RVs towing their car backwards. I'm not going to assume they are experts, but apparently they're doing it and haven't wrecked anything yet.

Oh, I get it. I was just looking out for his "race car". Wether he did or not wasn't my concern. Many tow trucks tow that way, but also many tow trucks don't really care for the car. I've seen them crab walk towing down the highway. Sketchy.

• Like 1

Following your logic, then the 2 RV drivers are deliberately trashing their toads because they just don't care.

The more I think about not towing backwards because the wheels need to turn, the more it doesn't make any sense.

When you drive a car around a turn, you turn the steering wheel left, the front wheels turn left and you make the turn. Do the rear wheels also turn left? Or do they just follow and track around the turn without having to be steered? The rear wheels stay straight and the outside wheel just rotates a little faster than the inside wheel. 

If you're towing a car backwards, the front tires don't need to steer, they just follow the car and the outside wheel just turns a little faster through the turn. Just like they do when everybody is driving normally and the rear tires just track behind the front.

Blindly trusting stuff you read on the internet isn't always a good idea, because whoever wrote that might not have any idea what he's talking about, or is making a generalization and isn't talking specifically about what you're trying to do.

I wouldn't do it for thousands of miles, but if I was just going a few miles to a trailhead, I don't see a problem with it as long as the steering wheel is tied to something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Following your logic, then the 2 RV drivers are deliberately trashing their toads because they just don't care.

The more I think about not towing backwards because the wheels need to turn, the more it doesn't make any sense.

When you drive a car around a turn, you turn the steering wheel left, the front wheels turn left and you make the turn. Do the rear wheels also turn left? Or do they just follow and track around the turn without having to be steered? The rear wheels stay straight and the outside wheel just rotates a little faster than the inside wheel. 

If you're towing a car backwards, the front tires don't need to steer, they just follow the car and the outside wheel just turns a little faster through the turn. Just like they do when everybody is driving normally and the rear tires just track behind the front.

Blindly trusting stuff you read on the internet isn't always a good idea, because whoever wrote that might not have any idea what he's talking about, or is making a generalization and isn't talking specifically about what you're trying to do.

I wouldn't do it for thousands of miles, but if I was just going a few miles to a trailhead, I don't see a problem with it as long as the steering wheel is tied to something.

The car dolly would probably work except where do I put the car dolly when I’m not using it?

5 minutes ago, FOG said:

The car dolly would probably work except where do I put the car dolly when I’m not using it?

You might be able to make one you could disassemble into 2 parts and fit it behind or under the SxS. Or a T trailer you could break down into a couple of pieces.

For the record, there isnt a trail i can think if where i'd want to invest and put this much effort into.  There's too many places in the US you can ride directly from camp...Tahoe as mentioned at the start of this thread..But, Mammoth is awesome and pretty mich the same terrain, and honestly, if i was in Tahoe - a side by side would not be something I'd want...too many awesome walking trails, lakes streams, etc.  I'd leave it at home if camping in Tahoe in other words.

So curious - all the people trying to solution this, where would this actually make sense to put forth the time, effort, and $?

56 minutes ago, FOG said:

This would fit right under the SXS inside your trailer. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wesinls said:

For the record, there isnt a trail i can think if where i'd want to invest and put this much effort into.  There's too many places in the US you can ride directly from camp...Tahoe as mentioned at the start of this thread..But, Mammoth is awesome and pretty mich the same terrain, and honestly, if i was in Tahoe - a side by side would not be something I'd want...too many awesome walking trails, lakes streams, etc.  I'd leave it at home if camping in Tahoe in other words.

So curious - all the people trying to solution this, where would this actually make sense to put forth the time, effort, and $?

It may not be something you or I need but it’s obvious it’s important to Fog.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Not my logic, I'm not the expert and never said I was. It was something I found when I quickly Googled it. e-trailer I would assume has decent experience in the field but hey to each their own. I thought I would contribute and put in my 2 cents but debating with a real expert like yourself is not something I care for. Glad to see that finding pics on the internet is super reliable for you. I read "steering linkage can snap" and they're talking about  a car. I wonder how much smaller steering linkage is on a UTV. Maybe not smaller or maybe even much thicker and can take those sharp turns like a beast being towed backwards. Not my department but throwing it out there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wesinls said:

You make a good point. However, last summer I had three occasions where I couldn’t ride where I camped. 
One was the Rubicon as I mentioned earlier, another in the Oregon dunes and then an opportunity on private property. 
If you choose to walk instead of riding, great.
I choose to ride where I can because I can. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big_Daddy_Jp said:

This would have worked fine for my situation in the Oregon dunes but not for the Rubicon trail. 
Thanks for the idea. 

• Board Moderator

May be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoors and tree

Sits in side bed with Gate on has Four Chains 1 on each corner , I also bolted it down . Not Using Priced to Move FAST NO ramps . Fits 2 seat RZR 74" wide 20" height from bed to Deck of Rack

This is the Facebook ad that Sandtrap was talking about. No contact info other than facebook messenger.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Big_Daddy_Jp said:

Don Pascales built something like this but better for on the road.  He had it for sale before the crash. He didn't come back after the reboot, maybe someone has his contact info and if he still has it or if he has some pictures. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Big_Daddy_Jp said:

How much room do you have inside your trailer? Standard toyhauler or a garage model?

It’s a garage model at 12’ long. 
I have a tool chest, a set of SxS tires, mountain bike, and other stuff I carry back there so not much room left. 

21 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Those (hopefully) all have a chingadera to lock the steering wheel. Seatbelt, metal clamp, something. 

17 hours ago, FOG said:

Not legal unless the SxS is street registered would be the bigger problem. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SandTrap said:

FOG there is a guy in Riverside just posted on FB a truck above bed rack for sxs for 250 bucks

2 hours ago, Grease Monkey said:

May be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoorsMay be an image of outdoors and tree

Sits in side bed with Gate on has Four Chains 1 on each corner , I also bolted it down . Not Using Priced to Move FAST NO ramps . Fits 2 seat RZR 74" wide 20" height from bed to Deck of Rack

This is the Facebook ad that Sandtrap was talking about. No contact info other than facebook messenger.

Thanks but I have to keep the truck bed open enough so that the 5th wheel hitch can rotate. 

• Like 1