Double G

Word Is That Fws Has Issued Bo

I've received word that the Fish & Wildlife service has issued the revised Biological Opinion for the new ISDRA plan.

They find "No Jeopardy", which opens the way for the plan to be implemented.

We have received a press release from FWS as well as communications from the BLM verifying that the BO is out.

Next steps include completing the process of the public protests that were filed, creating an implementaiton plan, gettting the CBD, BLM and the ASA on a conference call to discuss the current suit regarding the BO (a stipulation of the court), getting Judge Ilston to approve the settlement and then implement the plan.

Since El Centro does not have a Field Manager this will be a problem.

This does not mean the closures are open. The implementation of the plan will probably take several months and be full of legal proceedings.

Greg

Edited by gman

dang....that would be GREAT news....except, if true, I'm sure danny boy and his lawyers have something up their sleeve's to throw a monkey wrench in the works...icon_sad.gif

That will hopefully be true... headbang.gif

Is true, what's next. How long to get the RAMP implemented?

1. Mike Pool, BLM CA Director has to sign a Record of Decision on the Mangement Plan.

2. Must be published in the Federal Register

3. BLM El Centro develop implementation of Adaptive Management Area permit process

4. assuming no legal action to the contrary, pull the signs.

Don't hold your breath. I'll bet right now CBD's lawyers are already in front of the Judge requesting a TRO.

The short answer is "I have no idea on the timeline yet".

Greg

Congratulations to those who have worked so hard to get the battle this far. This might be possibly the first time in history that there's a chance to reopen land stolen by the econazi's.

We've got a thread running over on ASA and Vince has put some stuff there after talking to our lawyer. Rather than copy it, here's the link:

http://www.americansandassociation.org/php...7398&highlight=

Greg

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

I was worried about the FWS. Man it's been a long time coming.

yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssss headbang.gif

thumb.gifthumb.gifNotworthy.gifNotworthy.gif Just read it all it's TRUEEEEEEEEE headbang.gifheadbang.gif One giant step for all duners...

That just ROCKS so hard!

WOOOOO WHOOOOOO!!!!!

Good job people! thumb.gif

beer.gif

Awesome! Keep up the fight!

Deano

To be the evil liberal naysayer that I am, doesn't implementation of the RAMP mean that the dunes will still be closed to 99.999999999% of us and open to a handful of people lucky enough to get the privilige to pay extra to ride wherever?

thumb.gif Fantasticl news!

To be the evil liberal naysayer that I am, doesn't implementation of the RAMP mean that the dunes will still be closed to 99.999999999% of us and open to a handful of people lucky enough to get the privilige to pay extra to ride wherever?

Short answer, No.

Most of the closures will be open to ALL and the AMA will be open to some.

Tom's right.

Once the plan is implemented (may take weeks or MONTHS):

1. The temporary closures will come down.

--Buttercup closure

--Small Patton closure (south of Patton valley)

--Gecko closure

All of these will be open riding.

2. The AMA will be staked out (next valley north of Patton, and south of Hill 6).

--this is the large central closure and require a permit to enter

3. The permit process will start. We don't have any insight yet on how the BLM will do it, but have had some preliminary discussions and voiced our concerns about how they will be issued, who can get them, where can they get them, etc. You will then need a permit to be inside the AMA. From what is in the RAMP, the permits are good for a week, and one permit is needed for every 7 vehicles. So in most cases only one person in your group will need one. If I recall correctly it allows for 525 vehicles a day in there (please correct me if I'm wrong). The plan early on was to make 1/2 of the permits available on the Internet, and the other 1/2 from the Ranger Station. That leaves the South Dunes out of luck, and we pointed that out...we'll see.

Greg

edited to claify the closure areas

Edited by gman

If the effort to delist is sucessful, how would the AMA be affected? Does it become mute at that point and no longer required?

If the effort to delist is sucessful, how would the AMA be affected? Does it become mute at that point and no longer required?

That's a tough call. Technically, the only reason for it is to protect Threatened species. If the PMV is gone, the main argument for it being there in the first place is gone. The Desert Tortoise is discussed a little bit, and while the dunes are not technically habitat they may want to keep the AMA there anyway for it.

HOWEVER,

there are several "species of concern" at the dunes, including the PMV. Several plants, a bug or two and at least one lizard. It's all in the Enviornmental Impact Statement for the plan. http://www.americansandassociation.org/doc...MP/FinalEIS.pdf

The BLM has expressed a desire to keep the AMA there even if the PMV is delisted in order to help manage the "species of concern". I'm not sure of the legal ramifications, and it's way too early in the process to even start thinking about it.

I believe it would be a very tough fight to completely remove the AMA. There's room for other changes though, like special monitoring, changing the permit limits, etc. that may allow for greater access once a baseline condition is established.

At this point it's too early to formulate any action plans until we see that the RAMP is truly in place. Once that is done we can start exploring it.

Greg

Yeah, I figured it would be too much to hope for. It is the permitting issue that I am most concerned with. The central dune "temp" closure has always been our favorite area to explore. Pack a lunch and make full day of it.

Thanks for the input Greg and especially the efforts of all to get this far.

Bill.

bandit.gif

So since the central area is temporary, then the North dunes would be open for

riding from Osborne all the way to China Wall ?

So since the central area is temporary, then the North dunes would be open for

That is true. If and when the closures are re-opened, we will have a party at the wall. I think Obsessed is hosting it.

Not to "China Wall" but to "The Wall"-China is already open.

Not to "China Wall" but to "The Wall"-China is already open.

bandit.gif

I know, but not the central area between Osborne and China Wall.

BUT, I sure can't wait to visit this "WALL" , hopefully in my life time...

I wouldn't get too excited yet. This is just one more step. I will get excited when s*** actually reopens. mellow.gif