Jump to content

Any business owners here suffering with $7/g fuel prices?


1newbie
 Share

Recommended Posts

My business uses around 300 gallons/day (mostly diesel).  Under Trump that was around $1k/day.  Now creeping on $2500/day (rumor is that it will continue to climb and expect it to peak around $10/g in August).  Really feeling that pinch; not sure how viable my company will be if fuel hits $10/g.  #FJB.

I did laugh a little bit when my liberal daughter complained about her $113 oil change at Jiffy Lube yesterday........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Moderator

My company runs three (3) trucks. It's a savings we pass on to our customers. Service call used to be $275.00. We've jumped it up to $325.00 and about to jump it even more. Had to give my guys a raise cause their having a hard time getting to work and back. Not to mention groceries!  Fuel is kicking our butts all around. And we're only at $5.50 right now in TX.     #FJB       Peace

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's obvious that you both have started to understand the plan....this isn't an accident folks...this is what they want....and by they I mean the Democrats....You ain't seen nothin yet.... 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Moderator
18 minutes ago, Realbadlarry said:

Well it's obvious that you both have started to understand the plan....this isn't an accident folks...this is what they want....and by they I mean the Democrats....You ain't seen nothin yet.... 

 

Thanks "CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!"  HAHA. Peace

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

not directly as you are implying, but indirectly we are.   We have about 160 folks in our factory & if folks cant get a whole day in, they just call out sick for the whole day.  for example, if they have to goto the Dr. they will just call out sick for the whole day.  more & more folks are car pooling (which IMO is a good thing), but its causing disruptions in our production schedules.   We went through this before, and will have to make adjustments to production schedules to ensure that folks are not standing around waiting for other folks to get in (because they are catching a ride with someone). 

I know that In my life Im grouping my trips to places.  I wont go out to east county unless I have 3 or 4 things to do out there.  that means though, that Im not spending money which is bad for those businesses (but good for me, I need to learn restraint). 

$7/gallon is Nucking Futs!!!!!  Ph.u.ck ALL of them in Crapramento & DC...... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Between Gas prices and the prices for PVC, Copper and Steel jobs we are lucky if we are seeing any profit.  Add in the delays to get materials  to start the projects and it gets worse.  I have a job that the GC promised the customer would be in and operating by mid October and we will not have the Service Entrance Section for power  until almost Christmas.  Now the customer is asking their current landlord if they can stay and they are telling them the suite is already leased. 

There will become a point when people just stop spending money until things get better.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MWB said:

There will become a point when people just stop spending money until things get better.

 

not just on the consumer end, but in the production infrastructure end as well.  we are being VERY tight with what we are spending money on, & in the 27 years Ive been here, we have never done that.  Ive said for years "if your not moving forward, your moving backwards" & spending money & pushing is how you move forward.  We have pushed the "pause button" on probably 1/2 of our projects.... :(  a bunch of that time is being spend on shortages though............. we have found a number of our suppliers are doing the same thing we are & that is part of the problem.........  its a vicious circle...

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to filing my 2022 corporate tax returns and hearing my friends at IRS ask 'how did you lose so much money in 2022?'.......  Well, you see these payroll costs and fuel prices?.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No longer a business owner, but I want to get in on the Fawk Joe Biden theme.  #FJB

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shipping costs have doubled for us. Sent a 5lbs, 12x12x7 box to oregon the other day. 72$ used to be about 25$ that has steadily increased because we all pay for amazon’s free shipping. 

Freight to get materials to the shop have doubled. The cost of those materials (stainless steel sheet and tube) have triple in 2 years (if you can even get it). We are still super busy because we are still able to be the lowest price company in our industry. 

We also ordered 3 years worth of material during the pandemic, thank god, because you cant get the material now. I have huge multiple hundred employee competitors calling begging us to sell them some tubing. 

For example last order placed was a month ago for 2.5”x.035 stainless (321). We are told we will see it maybe around thanksgiving. This is an extremely common size and in 22 years this is the first time we’ve ever been told something is backordered  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Sponsor

Try and buy any components in the hydraulic power sector.  We're getting lead times in excess of 60 weeks on some stuff. WEEKS!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Try and buy any components in the hydraulic power sector.  We're getting lead times in excess of 60 weeks on some stuff. WEEKS!

 

Yep, I had that the other day.  3 years ago it would have been delivered by the end of the week, now its weeks & weeks sometimes over a year out.  then when you get to the 3 month point of waiting, they just cancel the order on me. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Effing ridiculous!

He, That F*CKTARD Biden slipped in Japan and said his plan was to raise fuel prices so people will buy electric cars. Get everyone off fossil fuels!

For one, electric doesn't work for me. Driving long distances and towing will not be done by an electric vehicle.

2) they are taking away our choice. If you want electric...go for it! I don't like it. I could buy into the hybrid especially for a commuter car.

3) if everyone went electric, we can't sustain it...the grid would implode.

EFF This administration...they want to put so many people out of jobs!

:explode:

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sausage450r said:

Shipping costs have doubled for us. Sent a 5lbs, 12x12x7 box to oregon the other day. 72$ used to be about 25$ that has steadily increased because we all pay for amazon’s free shipping. 

Freight to get materials to the shop have doubled. The cost of those materials (stainless steel sheet and tube) have triple in 2 years (if you can even get it). We are still super busy because we are still able to be the lowest price company in our industry. 

We also ordered 3 years worth of material during the pandemic, thank god, because you cant get the material now. I have huge multiple hundred employee competitors calling begging us to sell them some tubing. 

For example last order placed was a month ago for 2.5”x.035 stainless (321). We are told we will see it maybe around thanksgiving. This is an extremely common size and in 22 years this is the first time we’ve ever been told something is backordered  

I ship (or receive something shipped to my company) about everyday. Shipping a small 2lb box to/from Europe is absurd. We're talking $300-$500. Many times the customer is paying more in freight than they are in product (that's in the box).

It's a mess. Dumb part is this is an easy fix, right? The US as far as I know has more oil than any other nation.. we just have to tap into it. Obviously the increase in fuel is helping drive this crazy inflation. My guess is true inflation is 15% or more.

I just keep buying stocks and spending dollars on things ... I'm playing 'hot potato' with my cash (get it out of my hands and into assets/services, etc.).

Write-off nation for this year.

Not sure what else to do.

abc

Edited by ANGRYBUTTCRACK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I run a fleet of 200 school buses. Yeah fuel prices are nuts, even wholesale. And now the driver wage costs just to be competitive are going insane across the board too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, the costs of drilling and the impact it has on the environment VS mining for Lithium.......

Yeah, look that up!

Don't be fooled by attacks on the lithium battery | Canada's National  Observer: News & Analysis

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man o' Man. This is freaking insane. Being in Aerospace I expect prices to be high. Since Nov. 21' I have had 5 increases from MFG such as PPG, Sherwin Williams, 3M etc. average increase was 23% and highest was 67% We just got hit with new increases just this month.

My customers are like WTF. Contracted maintenance just went full swing at the end of last year for Airlines, military pulling their aircraft out of storage. We are blessed for teh work and agreement we have but watching this is just horrible especially passing it onto the customers.

 

FJB and his cronies. Damaging and not taking any responsibility for our country.... The recession is coming and fast. All while Biden sits and eats his ice cream.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@URCLEVER and sits in his waterfront estate on vacation AGAIN....for who knows how long?

 

 

  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

our fuel surcharge to grocery stores that get 5 loads a week is 1k on top of freight, delivery fee's etc. 

I don't think we have seen the edge of this mess yet. just getting started

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of other factors playing into the cost at the pump, but here's what we've pulled from the ground since 2015.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRFPUS2&f=M

U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)          
                         
Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept  Oct Nov Dec
  2015 9,382 9,504 9,582 9,658 9,474 9,358 9,446 9,409 9,480 9,400 9,332 9,275
  2016 9,201 9,063 9,088 8,871 8,832 8,672 8,660 8,688 8,542 8,802 8,901 8,814
  2017 8,873 9,109 9,168 9,103 9,184 9,110 9,246 9,245 9,516 9,659 10,077 9,979
  2018 9,996 10,276 10,461 10,493 10,424 10,628 10,888 11,373 11,422 11,488 11,868 11,924
  2019 11,848 11,653 11,899 12,125 12,141 12,179 11,896 12,475 12,572 12,771 12,966 12,910
  2020 12,785 12,826 12,816 11,911 9,711 10,420 10,956 10,558 10,868 10,413 11,121 11,084
  2021 11,056 9,773 11,160 11,230 11,334 11,288 11,330 11,206 10,851 11,526 11,769 11,604
  2022 11,369 11,306 11,655                  
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, South Bay said:

Lots of other factors playing into the cost at the pump, but here's what we've pulled from the ground since 2015.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRFPUS2&f=M

 

 

U.S. Field Production of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)          
                         
Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sept  Oct Nov Dec
  2015 9,382 9,504 9,582 9,658 9,474 9,358 9,446 9,409 9,480 9,400 9,332 9,275
  2016 9,201 9,063 9,088 8,871 8,832 8,672 8,660 8,688 8,542 8,802 8,901 8,814
  2017 8,873 9,109 9,168 9,103 9,184 9,110 9,246 9,245 9,516 9,659 10,077 9,979
  2018 9,996 10,276 10,461 10,493 10,424 10,628 10,888 11,373 11,422 11,488 11,868 11,924
  2019 11,848 11,653 11,899 12,125 12,141 12,179 11,896 12,475 12,572 12,771 12,966 12,910
  2020 12,785 12,826 12,816 11,911 9,711 10,420 10,956 10,558 10,868 10,413 11,121 11,084
  2021 11,056 9,773 11,160 11,230 11,334 11,288 11,330 11,206 10,851 11,526 11,769 11,604
  2022 11,369 11,306 11,655                  

So that is out of USA? what does the other countries pull out like Saudi? Looks like it dropped slightly during covid but nowhere near what I had thought.  Almost 13K barrels in Nov/Dec 2019 and fuel was still $4 a gallon if my memory is right. Either way I am gonna pay. But #FJB and Cronies!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dbart said:

Effing ridiculous!

He, That F*CKTARD Biden slipped in Japan and said his plan was to raise fuel prices so people will buy electric cars. Get everyone off fossil fuels!

For one, electric doesn't work for me. Driving long distances and towing will not be done by an electric vehicle.

2) they are taking away our choice. If you want electric...go for it! I don't like it. I could buy into the hybrid especially for a commuter car.

3) if everyone went electric, we can't sustain it...the grid would implode.

EFF This administration...they want to put so many people out of jobs!

:explode:

 

Im No fan of Sleepy Joe (no fan of Trump either)...

but i highly doubt its Sleepys plan to have gas at $7.00 a gallon or anywhere near that!

its Political suicide!! No chance of getting re-elected if Gas prices stay anywhere close to where they are now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, URCLEVER said:

So that is out of USA? what does the other countries pull out like Saudi? Looks like it dropped slightly during covid but nowhere near what I had thought.  Almost 13K barrels in Nov/Dec 2019 and fuel was still $4 a gallon if my memory is right. Either way I am gonna pay. But #FJB and Cronies!

https://ycharts.com/indicators/opec_crude_oil_production

Here is OPEC.

Date Value Date Value
12/31/2019 30.95M 1/31/2022 30.03M
11/30/2019 31.05M 12/31/2021 30.09M
10/31/2019 31.21M 11/30/2021 29.89M
9/30/2019 29.74M 10/31/2021 29.44M
8/31/2019 31.31M 9/30/2021 29.17M
7/31/2019 31.00M 8/31/2021 28.76M
6/30/2019 31.57M 7/31/2021 28.76M
5/31/2019 31.46M 6/30/2021 28.05M
4/30/2019 31.83M 5/31/2021 27.50M
3/31/2019 31.78M 4/30/2021 27.03M
2/28/2019 32.25M 3/31/2021 27.03M
1/31/2019 32.32M 2/28/2021 26.87M
12/31/2018 32.87M 1/31/2021 27.32M
11/30/2018 33.57M 12/31/2020 27.20M
10/31/2018 33.81M 11/30/2020 27.00M
9/30/2018 33.59M 10/31/2020 26.24M
8/31/2018 33.41M 9/30/2020 25.89M
7/31/2018 33.13M 8/31/2020 25.87M
6/30/2018 33.11M 7/31/2020 24.89M
5/31/2018 33.01M 6/30/2020 24.25M
4/30/2018 33.16M 5/31/2020 26.21M
3/31/2018 33.26M 4/30/2020 32.11M
2/28/2018 33.52M 3/31/2020 30.11M
1/31/2018 33.67M 2/29/2020 29.88M
12/31/2017 33.97M 1/31/2020 30.64M
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a hotshot tranaport business and we use 700-800 gallons of diesel per month. I've increased my per mile rate twice in the past few months. 

Besides rate increases my son and I have made a few changes to our fleet. He now drives my 2014 LML Duramax because it gets 1-2mpg better than his lifted 2006 LBZ on 35's. I took my truck to a tuner and had him put the best MPG/towing tune on possible, and I just installed a 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the bed.

Holding 136 gallons will enable us to buy more fuel in NV and AZ more often and that can save us $1/gal, averaging $100 savings per fill up. 

We are also trying to schedule 'piggyback' transport jobs and make sure we are loaded both ways. Even hauling a smal amount of freight helps offset the fuel cost. We had a pit bike in Lakeside going to Victorville and we were able to piggyback a truck bed full of stuff for @Stugots going to Santee. Both jobs were half our standard LA to SD rate but combined they worked out.

Raising our prices is absolutely necessary but we have also made upgrades and adjustments to our equipment to to stay competitive ans not just pass on the costs to our clients.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, marknkidz said:

Im No fan of Sleepy Joe (no fan of Trump either)...

but i highly doubt its Sleepys plan to have gas at $7.00 a gallon or anywhere near that!

its Political suicide!! No chance of getting re-elected if Gas prices stay anywhere close to where they are now

You Assume they care.... They don't they KNOW they can stuff boxes and fix elections...This IS the plan to absolutely destroy our economy so that the only place to turn is government.... and it's working.... 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Shout Box

Shout Box

You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...

    Important Information

    Terms of Use Privacy Policy