Any business owners here suffering with $7/g fuel prices?

1newbie

1 hour ago, marknkidz said:

Im No fan of Sleepy Joe (no fan of Trump either)...

but i highly doubt its Sleepys plan to have gas at $7.00 a gallon or anywhere near that!

its Political suicide!! No chance of getting re-elected if Gas prices stay anywhere close to where they are now...

My guess is you weren't paying attention on the last election. IT WAS RIGGED!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Realbadlarry said:

You Assume they care.... They don't they KNOW they can stuff boxes and fix elections...This IS the plan to absolutely destroy our economy so that the only place to turn is government.... and it's working.... 

Just realized your board name refers to an inability to read a thread title and post pertinent information on the topic being discussed.

2 hours ago, URCLEVER said:

Man o' Man. This is freaking insane. Being in Aerospace I expect prices to be high. Since Nov. 21' I have had 5 increases from MFG such as PPG, Sherwin Williams, 3M etc. average increase was 23% and highest was 67% We just got hit with new increases just this month.

My customers are like WTF. Contracted maintenance just went full swing at the end of last year for Airlines, military pulling their aircraft out of storage. We are blessed for teh work and agreement we have but watching this is just horrible especially passing it onto the customers.

FJB and his cronies. Damaging and not taking any responsibility for our country.... The recession is coming and fast. All while Biden sits and eats his ice cream.

I would eat more ice cream too if I had ZERO chance of brain freeze.  Well ZERO unless someone shoved the cone up his AZZ.

• Haha 5

I have over 70 heavy duty trucks on the road everyday and use over 12,000 gallons of diesel per week.  We contract with carriers for 5x this much.  All our transportation contracts has a base rate and fuel surcharge matrix.  As the cost of diesel goes up our fuel surcharge goes up.  All of the cost gets passed back to the customer - we are charging 30%-40% more but don't make any more profit.  It doesn't hurt us in the short run or directly.  In the long run, I just don't see how people will be able to afford things and consumption will come down.  The inflation rate isn't going up anywhere close to as much as our increased charges are to customers.  I believe it's got to keep going up - way up!  A box of Cheerios is going to cost $10.  We don't enjoy passing these costs back to customers but there's no point in working and not making a profit.  As was mentioned, we do everything we can to be more efficient, consolidate moves, limit our empty miles, etc.  We are actually more efficient than ever before but costs will keep going up.  That's even before we are forced to purchase electric and near zero emissions trucks or be fined.  Most of these vehicles cost 100% more and don't work as well.  We've been short 75-100 people for a couple years now and have customers lined up begging for us to handle their business.  Something has to change right?    

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Just realized your board name refers to an inability to read a thread title and post pertinent information on the topic being discussed.

Sorry, didn't know I needed your permission to post on here?  

Good stuff here.  I wish some of my contract prices were not locked in for multiple years (I thought it was smart during covid, not so much now...)  One thing that BW Billy referred to above is that Ukraine and Russia combine for about 1/3 of all wheat production.  NONE of that wheat will come to market and I am pretty sure Ukraine missed their planting season this year.  Wait to see what bread, cereal, pizza crust, etc prices are going to be....

FWIW, worldwide demand for oil is about 100m barrels/day.  U.S. is about 10-11m.  Russia is (was) around 14m.  Even Iran (world's largest sponsor of terrorism) can now sell oil thanks to Obama/Biden administration....... Cancelling the Keystone XL pipeline by E.O. on his 1st day on the job will probably (because there are sooooo many other F'ups also) go down as one of F'tard biden's biggest mistakes........

• Site Sponsor
9 minutes ago, 1newbie said:

Good stuff here.  I wish some of my contract prices were not locked in for multiple years (I thought it was smart during covid, not so much now...)  One thing that BW Billy referred to above is that Ukraine and Russia combine for about 1/3 of all wheat production.  NONE of that wheat will come to market and I am pretty sure Ukraine missed their planting season this year.  Wait to see what bread, cereal, pizza crust, etc prices are going to be....

FWIW, worldwide demand for oil is about 100m barrels/day.  U.S. is about 10-11m.  Russia is (was) around 14m.  Even Iran (world's largest sponsor of terrorism) can now sell oil thanks to Obama/Biden administration....... Cancelling the Keystone XL pipeline by E.O. on his 1st day on the job will probably (because there are sooooo many other F'ups also) go down as one of F'tard biden's biggest mistakes........

The book of Biden's F-ups thus far.

image.png.c1e3b51ab036c7c087802ed52b3ff419.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Distributor and converter of foam plastic, rubber products.  Increases have gotten so bad we no longer do formal price book up dates.  Almost all jobs are estimated from scratch.  Freight cost are just as bad.  Used to be delivery time was our vendor selector factor for freight, now it's back to price.  And being a lot of these raw materials are made over sea's, it always makes me wonder how much product is still on the container ship staging in the ports. 

The 2008 recession was bad, but this one coming up is going to be multipronged and is going to cut deep.  The only saving grace as far as I can see is the midterms, and they can't come soon enough.      

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We need to have a water well drilled at our new parcel of land in Az. It's going to cost $51,000. Literally 1 year ago I got a quote for the same well for $30,000. There are instances where it appears businesses are charging way more for their services than they need to. They are just price gouging the common folks just because they can. 

High prices are here to stay so get used to it. 

Edited by KLC

Posted (edited)

Raised prices across the board last September and a lot of customers bitched about it (didn’t lose any). Just tacked on a fuel surcharge and not one peep out of any of them.  What can they say…!

Edited by Jammer75

2 hours ago, KLC said:

We need to have a water well drilled at our new parcel of land in Az. It's going to cost $51,000. Literally 1 year ago I got a quote for the same well for $30,000. There are instances where it appears businesses are charging way more for their services than they need to. They are just price gouging the common folks just because they can. 

High prices are here to stay so get used to it. 

I think if you can answer the phone, do what you say you’re gonna do and get it done close to on time, people with the money will pay dearly.(including me)

it’s getting to a point of “how soon can you get it done” not “what’s the price”!

Posted (edited)

Oh I don't know, I'm not desperate enough to pay grossly inflated prices on anything. What's the price is usually my first question. I don't need anything bad enough to justify pissing money away to get something done right now, I may be a minority though. 

Edited by KLC

15 hours ago, Duster said:

Distributor and converter of foam plastic, rubber products.  Increases have gotten so bad we no longer do formal price book up dates.  Almost all jobs are estimated from scratch.  Freight cost are just as bad.  Used to be delivery time was our vendor selector factor for freight, now it's back to price.  And being a lot of these raw materials are made over sea's, it always makes me wonder how much product is still on the container ship staging in the ports. 

The 2008 recession was bad, but this one coming up is going to be multipronged and is going to cut deep.  The only saving grace as far as I can see is the midterms, and they can't come soon enough.      

I work for a huge medical supply co, we have a 1300 page catalog and they just released a new book for 22/23 with no prices listed. It's the 1st time in 70 years there's been a book printed with no dollar values in it.

• Like 1

Own a small crane company, small fries compared to most of the former examples. In addition to the fuel cost Ive noticed a change in culture. I lost an emission sensor on a 2019 kenworth, "sorry there is a six week national backorder" found one through a friend in Washington on a shelf being held for ransom (-=. I can almost name my price to do a job and no backlash but the profit margin is down. The average repair used to take a couple days, now it's a week and no intensity everyone just chalks it up to covid. Had a 2016 40 ton go down yesterday, Im expecting it to be down weeks instead of days going into our season... Super hard business environment to manage, everyone seems to be happy if employees just show up and the level of performance is suffering. 

There is still lots of injected cash on the sidelines so until that runs out and the demand leans out I do not see a change in the inflation / economy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, marknkidz said:

Im No fan of Sleepy Joe (no fan of Trump either)...

but i highly doubt its Sleepys plan to have gas at $7.00 a gallon or anywhere near that!

its Political suicide!! No chance of getting re-elected if Gas prices stay anywhere close to where they are now...

$7 is conservative, they're speculating $10 by the end July... intentionally pushing the market to crash just like O'bummer did in '08

Edited by Orange_R
  • Like 1

• Forum Moderator

Some people will just give in to Electric Vehicles. I get it but........for those of us that have big diesel trucks to operate our business, we're going to pass along the increase to the customer. Peace

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChEFF said:

Some people will just give in to Electric Vehicles. I get it but........for those of us that have big diesel trucks to operate our business, we're going to pass along the increase to the customer. Peace

It's clear, with the government intentionally limiting or shutting down domestic oil production, the agenda is pretty clear, that they are going to RAM electric vehicles down our throat.. But here's the rub.. We are several decades away from the nationwide infra-structure to begin to support a large scale increase in electric vehicle transportation.. so what happens when we get to the crossroads of we don't have enough power, or the means to distribute what we do have? By then , most auto MFG'rs will no longer offer petroleum based vehicles, and we will have driven all but the biggest and most diversified oil companies out of business from lack of demand, and we will be at the point of no return.. There is a steady march of this government stripping freedoms, and the right to liberty in the country. Sad. What is the breaking point? or are we just going to roll over and turn into Russia?

Edited by Schmidty
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Schmidty said:

It's clear, with the government intentionally limiting or shutting down domestic oil production, the agenda is pretty clear, that they are going to RAM electric vehicles down our throat.. But here's the rub.. We are several decades away from the nationwide infra-structure to begin to support a large scale increase in electric vehicle transportation.. so what happens when we get to the crossroads of we don't have enough power, or the means to distribute what we do have? By then , most auto MFG'rs will no longer offer petroleum based vehicles, and we will have driven all but the biggest and most diversified oil companies out of business from lack of demand, and we will be at the point of no return.. There is a steady march of this government stripping freedoms, and the right to liberty in the country. Sad. What is the breaking point? or are we just going to roll over and turn into Russia?

IMO, that is the road we are headed down.  the question is who ends up on the top of the pile running the country???

31 minutes ago, Schmidty said:

Yes, there will be a point where the green utopia wet dream meets harsh reality. Then the SHTF.

Yes. Suffering. Steel contracting business. I pulled back on business a year ago as the costs and inefficiency equaled slim to no profit. Thank god we are not driving our trucks as often to job sites to install “pieces” of jobs at a time. We used to have to move in on jobs 2-3 times total. Now the superintendents call constantly to get a sliver of the job just to keep it moving because all the trades before us are in a mess also.

Feels like 3rd world status is just around the corner.

Those that blame “this or that” fed government policy for our condition are clueless. Any in power would have made the same QE decisions. It started in the Trump regime. The Dems DID push for more QE but it failed to pass (which it was bound to but they had to put on a show to buy votes). State policy appears to be more damaging. California policy is just getting absurd. We can vote there with our zip code.

Domestic oil production is not down, in fact is on the rise. Keystone is one controversial example that is being overblown. 

Yes, some policies have small cause and affect here and there but overall this is just a correction to a worldwide overconsumption economy. This was going to happen sooner or later. Covid just accelerated the due date.

The rest of the world lived with prices this high for decades. Time for change. Nowhere else do they drive inefficient vehicles as the norm as we do. 

We are not in control of the worlds resources any longer.

Want to get ahead of the curve? Start selling your toys NOW. Don’t wait until SHTF….

You ain’t seen nothing yet! The “real” bad is coming…..

Edited by Skyward
  • Like 1

QE started in 2008, long before Trump. Once they let the bailout genie out of the bottle, and started QE it set us on the highway to hell.

• Like 3

Not the owner but have a general manager position and it is really starting to make a crunch here we are a Constuction material supply company and we burn about 10 to 12000 gallons  a week split off road and on road, cement powder has gone up 16% in the last 4 months going up another 6% by September asphalt oil went from $425 a ton last spring to $775 today I know this is the current administrations plan or the people who own them and I see it getting a whole lot worse 

4 hours ago, 1HasBeen said:

QE started in 2008, long before Trump. Once they let the bailout genie out of the bottle, and started QE it set us on the highway to hell.

The policy of QE started in 2001 by the Japanese. We borrowed it to save our failing economy. Look where Japan is now for a road map to eventual fiat currency failure.

QE comes and goes as needed. The current round was due to Covid and that was Trump. Again, not “his” policy but current easing started during his watch. Then it went on too long….

Quantitative tightening is in play now as a way to attempt to reign in inflation. We will see it manipulated by political policy rather than real fiscal policy during the next election. 

This is the game we are in for the long haul until the dollar is worthless. Our economic system relies on it until it caves in under its own weight.

Edited by Skyward
  • Like 1