Any business owners here suffering with $7/g fuel prices?

1newbie

30 minutes ago, zilla68 said:

LOVES is the highest place around anymore, on cue has huge islands and cheaper fuel

Diesel is $6.89 near my house so $5.63 is winning. 

Also, really appreciate the offer to store the 5th wheel at your storage. He picked it up at 4pm yesterday and headed straight to Duncan, OK to get a couple days R&R before heading to Kansas then Oregon. Went to a rodeo last night and he's been on a pontoon boat all day today. Kinda jealous to be honest.

• Like 1

• Site Sponsor
3 hours ago, Rorschach said:

I do the opposite with the semi. I pull into the little gas stations all the time to buy at a lower price. If I can save $.20-.30 a gallon or more I'm pulling in. If it looks like I can't get the trailer in then I'll drop it nearby or on the street. Truckstops usually gouge you pretty bad compared to the smaller stations

You're only saving the $.18 tax the truck stops charge at the big pumps.  Pretty sure there is a regulation against using the "regular" diesel pumps for OTR use.  Whatever..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

You're only saving the $.18 tax the truck stops charge at the big pumps.  Pretty sure there is a regulation against using the "regular" diesel pumps for OTR use.  Whatever..

The diesel you buy at the small stations is the same as the diesel you buy at the truck stop. Not sure why you'd think there was a difference. I'm not aware of any regulations restricting me from using fuel from the "regular" pump in my truck. Like I said if it's a $.20 per gallon savings or more then I'm filling at the smaller station. I filled up in Lubbock last week at the HEB for $4.92 a gallon. The cheapest truck stop was $5.30. that's a little more than $.18. $.38 x 200 gallons is  76 bucks. Add to that the 3% cash back on my credit card and the savings add up to about $100. Well worth the extra 20-30 minutes.

• Site Sponsor
19 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

The diesel you buy at the small stations is the same as the diesel you buy at the truck stop. Not sure why you'd think there was a difference. I'm not aware of any regulations restricting me from using fuel from the "regular" pump in my truck. Like I said if it's a $.20 per gallon savings or more then I'm filling at the smaller station. I filled up in Lubbock last week at the HEB for $4.92 a gallon. The cheapest truck stop was $5.30. that's a little more than $.18. $.38 x 200 gallons is  76 bucks. Add to that the 3% cash back on my credit card and the savings add up to about $100. Well worth the extra 20-30 minutes.

If you notice how the diesel prices on the signs at truck stop(Loves,etc)will toggle back and forth a price, it's the tax difference between the auto pumps in front and the commercial truck pumps in the back.

When I would stop at a Loves to fill up my DMAX at the big pumps (I was getting 50+gallons at a time), I had to go inside and pay to get the non-commercial price.

10 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

If you notice how the diesel prices on the signs at truck stop(Loves,etc)will toggle back and forth a price, it's the tax difference between the auto pumps in front and the commercial truck pumps in the back.

When I would stop at a Loves to fill up my DMAX at the big pumps (I was getting 50+gallons at a time), I had to go inside and pay to get the non-commercial price.

The sign toggles back and forth between credit and cash. It's usually about $.06 difference. That's because credit cards charge a percentage on the sale when you use plastic for payment. It has nothing to do with commercial or non-commercial. You and I can go to any fuel station in America, you in your DMAX and me in my semi and we can both get the same fuel for the same price.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

• Site Sponsor
1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

The sign toggles back and forth between credit and cash. It's usually about $.06 difference. That's because credit cards charge a percentage on the sale when you use plastic for payment. It has nothing to do with commercial or non-commercial. 

We're not talking about the same thing.  The small stations, Circle K typically, will play the "easy pay/credit" bullshit.  Truck stops will toggle auto and truck prices

11 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

We're not talking about the same thing.  The small stations, Circle K typically, will play the "easy pay/credit" bullshit.  Truck stops will toggle auto and truck prices

Easy pay is a third party payer that you link your credit card to for payment. You see this at circle k and the like. But a lot of the truck stops have signs that toggle back and forth between credit and cash prices which is usually about $.06 difference. Here's an example. Nothing there about commercial or non-commercial or auto and truck.Screenshot_20220625-233522__01.thumb.jpg.b841212e9e7573ca0315c12e3d7efcd4.jpg

Edited by Rorschach

• Site Sponsor
6 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Easy pay is a third party payer that you link your credit card to to make payment. A lot of the truck stops have signs that toggle back and forth between credit and cash prices which is usually about $.06 difference. Here's an example. Nothing there about commercial or non-commercial.Screenshot_20220625-233522__01.thumb.jpg.b841212e9e7573ca0315c12e3d7efcd4.jpg

Where is that station?  I need to fill up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Where is that station?  I need to fill up.

Just a pic I found online. An old one obviously. But seriously, I can't tell if you're punking me or if you really think there's a regulated different higher fuel price for commercial vehicles 

Edited by Rorschach

• Site Sponsor
2 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Just a pic I found online. An old one obviously. But seriously, I can't tell if you're punking me or if you really think there's a different higher fuel price for commercial vehicles 

I used to have to go inside with my NON commercial DL to get the auto fuel price at the truck pumps.  No BS.

21 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

I used to have to go inside with my NON commercial DL to get the auto fuel price at the truck pumps.  No BS.

I stand corrected.

It looks like that's just an AZ thing tho. They do have an $.18 extra per gallon commercial vehicle fuel tax. They also have a fuel tax evasion unit (fuel tax police) to criminalize using dyed fuel for on road use and blending untaxed waste products  into diesel fuel for on road use.

They'd nail me to the cross over there. I burn thousands of gallons of waste oil for fuel every year in on road vehicles. 

Edited by Rorschach

• Site Sponsor
13 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I stand corrected.

It looks like that's just an AZ thing tho. They do have an $.18 extra per gallon commercial vehicle fuel tax. They also have a fuel tax evasion unit (fuel tax police) to criminalize using dyed fuel for on road use and blending untaxed waste products  into diesel fuel for on road use.

They'd nail me to the cross over there. I burn thousands of gallons of waste oil for fuel every year in on road vehicles. 

Using dyed fuel on road and using "auto" diesel for OTR are not exactly the same.  But, both a no-no.  Both tax evasion.  There is an additional tax break on dyed fuel.  Penalties' are stiff if busted using red fuel on road..

Nothing here says you can't run waste oil as a fuel on road.

3 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Using dyed fuel on road and using "auto" diesel for OTR are not exactly the same.  But, both a no-no.  Both tax evasion.  There is an additional tax break on dyed fuel.  Penalties' are stiff if busted using red fuel on road..

Nothing here says you can't run waste oil as a fuel on road.

Idk. The fuel tax evasion unit might have something to say about it. Apparently untaxed fuel damages engines. Screenshot_20220626-003125__01.thumb.jpg.003e6111b5451ac24dcf30e77902539b.jpg

Edited by Rorschach

• Site Sponsor

Never heard of anyone getting busted for using bio/waste fuel.  That would go against the "be green" BS.  If the law reads like that in AZ,  what convoluted mess has CA put together?  Burning waste oil here was so prevalent that you paid for shitty chinese take out grease trap oil..

I started to assemble my own bio D still/processor a few years back.  Getting the oil was a huge PITA be cause everyone wanted it.  Gave up on it.

YMMV..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Never heard of anyone getting busted for using bio/waste fuel.  That would go against the "be green" BS.  If the law reads like that in AZ,  what convoluted mess has CA put together?  Burning waste oil here was so prevalent that you paid for shitty chinese take out grease trap oil..

I started to assemble my own bio D still/processor a few years back.  Getting the oil was a huge PITA be cause everyone wanted it.  Gave up on it.

YMMV..

Eff that fryer oil crap. My processor is an inline spin on filter that I pump used motor oil thru on it's way to my fuel tank. 

On 6/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, ChEFF said:

I would like to know if anyone can argue with that? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Because I completely agree. Peace

Ditto.

On 6/25/2022 at 11:09 PM, Rorschach said:

It looks like that's just an AZ thing tho. They do have an $.18 extra per gallon commercial vehicle fuel tax.

The AZ diesel tax rates are $.18 for "light" class and $.26 for "heavy" class so only $.08 difference between the two.  Definitely something to pay attention to if filling a large tank (RV or similar). Many truck stops have "RV/Auto" lanes with the cheaper rate but same wide / pull through access path as the trucks use for convenience.

9 hours ago, honEXduner said:

The AZ diesel tax rates are $.18 for "light" class and $.26 for "heavy" class so only $.08 difference between the two.  Definitely something to pay attention to if filling a large tank (RV or similar). Many truck stops have "RV/Auto" lanes with the cheaper rate but same wide / pull through access path as the trucks use for convenience.

Sounds like something you'd find in CA. I'm really just interested in getting fuel at the lowest price I can. Fortunately I usually don't have to buy any in AZ.

• Forum Moderator

Going to get more Diesel for the equipment. Nothing like dropping a quick $450.00! Peace

• Sad 1