Black light flashlights

• Site Sponsor

So, after seriously getting my azz kicked by a couple scorpion stings yesterday, ER trip and anti-venom injection..  The boss is on a scorpion kill mission.  

What lights the fine folk of GD.com prefer when scorpion hunting?

• Sad 1

• Site Sponsor
47 minutes ago, Wash 10 Crew said:

Simple and kids use to love hunting them suckers down.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scorpion-Master-52-LED-UV-Flashlight-702134/205324686 

Did it put out good amount of light?

• Site Sponsor

@MGMFRP is there a plastic lens material you could get to use an existing light work on this spectrum?

Damn, Not fun. We have a basic $16 light that my grandsons and I go out with. Works plenty good to see them all over. We like going out in the desert and the neighborhood. They are everywhere. Kind of creepy. We have this one.

Um, just keep it out of the bedroom and off the sofa.... just sayin... I bought one on amazon and now my wife sites on a stool in the living room. 

• Haha 5

• Site Sponsor
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Jersey_Jeff73 said:

Yah, can't wait for that bill...  However, the antivenom for bark scorpions is made from horse plasma.  One question I thought was weird prior to them giving it to me was if I was allergic to horses.  It made sense when I got home and researched.

I wasn't in a position to say no.  I was at the highest level of reactionary symptoms.  But, the docs all but refused, blaming cost.  My GF had to call our insurance Co. before they would do it.  We had to all but beg them give it to me.  I was on hour 8 of neurological breakdown...almost total numbness, but with hyper sensitivity in some areas.  Violent muscle spasms and convulsions.  Near blindness from extreme nystagmus.. With reactions as bad as mine, heart failure is a real possibility.

The antivenom took the muscle spasms/convulsions away in under 20 minutes.  At about the 45 minute mark I could read a text message at normal font.  Around an hour and a half I was getting discharge papers.

"Typical" bark scorpion reactions are local burning and possible swelling for 2-3 hours.  Maybe some numbness...

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Yah, can't wait for that bill...  However, the antivenom for bark scorpions is made from horse plasma.  One question I thought was weird prior to them giving it to me was if I was allergic to horses.  It made sense when I got home and researched.

I wasn't in a position to say no.  I was at the highest level of reactionary symptoms.  But, the docs all but refused, blaming cost.  My GF had to call our insurance Co. before they would do it.  We had to all but beg them give it to me.  I was on hour 8 of neurological breakdown...almost total numbness, but with hyper sensitivity in some areas.  Violent muscle spasms and convulsions.  Near blindness from extreme nystagmus.. With reactions as bad as mine, heart failure is a real possibility.

The antivenom took the muscle spasms/convulsions away in under 20 minutes.  At about the 45 minute mark I could read a text message at normal font.  Around an hour and a half I was getting discharge papers.

"Typical" bark scorpion reactions are local burning and possible swelling for 2-3 hours.  Maybe some numbness...

Damn bro... sounds like used up another one of your 9 lives.   We use the HD one. Works just fine. Have used a shoe to a torch to brake/carb cleaner to kill them. Good luck on your quest. I always find them by my grill along my back wall.

3 hours ago, Jersey_Jeff73 said:

Biden is gonna to be like...

"Hold my beer....look at the price of fuel soon!"

:bag:

Ok, sorry back to topic!

I think I want to get one of those lights, Pretty cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbart said:

Biden is gonna to be like...

"Hold my beer....look at the price of fuel soon!"

We discussed this already.....it's not his fault....Say it with me....TRUMPUTIN....TRUMPUTIN....

• Like 1

GF used Green Mango at her place in Queen Creek because she has Scorpions. it worked better then the black light and torch every couple of nights at stopping them.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0821F9C6F/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=597222417-2-698567536.1650930041&tag=brg_ana_mobile-20

This is what I use, had a monsoon in our Ut home last year, seen a scorpion in the garage and went into full hunt mode.. haven't found another yet but still look every once in a while. Wear some eye protection, I did not a got a decent headache as a reward.

• Like 1

• Board Moderator

Cool lights.

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Crusty said:

Cool lights.

Also good for those sketchy Tinder dates you all go on.. ;-)

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

Did it put out good amount of light?

It has about a 5-6 ft illumination in front of the light.  But when you were 3 ft from one, it glows in the light.  

Actually once you see how many there are around you, you would be be comfortable sitting on the ground in the desert again!!!

2 hours ago, JDMeister said:

Also good for those sketchy Tinder dates you all go on.. ;-)

According to the interweb, black light can reactivate herpes. :blink:

• Haha 1

Best way to get rid of them once you find them is a torch with map gas. Instant death. F those things.

Kids found these in about 30 minutes of hunting around camp in glamis 20220322_224641.thumb.jpg.cd01a3019d69c1a2e69249aa9164472b.jpglast March. 

Just a cheapo Amazon light

• Like 1

Wow....  where were you camped? 

Edited by Bobalos

• Site Sponsor

I'll offer this tid bit..

If you have never been stung before and get hit, be VERY mindful of the progression of the envenomation.  I went from thinking the dog had dropped a twig in the bed to not being able to see in just over an hour.

Typical envenomation is localized burning and numbness.  Yeah, not for me.

My time line...

3am stung, didn't even really bother me.  I fell back to sleep.

4am~ish my throat felt funny like I had a popcorn kernel stuck and I needed to blow my nose. This is when I realized my vision was jacked.  At this point I was not in a position to really be able to help my self any longer.  I couldn't drive, I couldn't really even see my phone to call someone for help. Being that I was trying to sleep this probably would've been more noticeable sooner if I were awake.  My GF took my blood pressure and it was very high .  Off to a hospital we went,

I made it to the ER before 6am...after a wasted stop at urgent care.   At this point I was mostly numb and tingly head to toe. Muscle twitches, cold sweats, ect. The peeps at the hospital picked it up right away that I had been tagged by a scorpion. The nystagmus was the give away.

Over the next 5 hours I degraded.  Badly.  Violent muscle spasms and convulsions. It felt like I was being electrocuted every 5-10 seconds. The doc just kept giving me sedatives to "make me comfortable".  Aadvin, then a bunch of Valium. However this was to no avail. Unfortunately, for me I was there during a shift change and the length of time I was there got lost.  The incoming staff thought that it would subside in a couple hours. It had been more that 8 for me.

Finally when the incoming staff realized how long I'd been on the verge of heart failure they ordered the anitvenom.

• Sad 4

15 hours ago, Bobalos said:

Wow....  where were you camped? 

Half mile in off 78 near the canal.

The night before they went on the hunt and only found 2 little ones in an hr. Not sure what makes them out one night and not the next.

October was the same.

We had alot of snake tracks in camp in March also. Never saw the basturds but it was definitely during the early morning light that they were cruising around. 

• Like 1