Jump to content

HELP Pulling Subi 2.5 from 091


JBL
 Share

Recommended Posts

Got everything visually disconnected from motor.  Pulled the 4 bolts from plate/091 to motor and am able to pull the motor clear from plate about 1" and thats it!  I have a jack under the oil pan and my 2 sons and I are trying to wiggle it off and no luck.  I tried pulling clutch in but that just holds the motor even tighter.   What am I missing gents?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would double check every bolt just to be sure. Sometimes you have to wiggle them up and down as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Board Moderator
1 hour ago, JBL said:

Got everything visually disconnected from motor.  Pulled the 4 bolts from plate/091 to motor and am able to pull the motor clear from plate about 1" and thats it!  I have a jack under the oil pan and my 2 sons and I are trying to wiggle it off and no luck.  I tried pulling clutch in but that just holds the motor even tighter.   What am I missing gents?

I read it as your pulling the motor from the adapter plate. 

I'f that's the case it's not going to come out. 

You need to remove the engine with the adapter plate.  The plate comes off with the engine as if it was part of the engine. 

All you need to remove is the 4 nuts from the studs that come thru the transmission bellhousing. Then push the clutch pedal. This will help push the engine off the trans.  Wiggle the engine and it should come out. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Grease Monkey said:

I read it as your pulling the motor from the adapter plate. 

I'f that's the case it's not going to come out. 

You need to remove the engine with the adapter plate.  The plate comes off with the engine as if it was part of the engine. 

All you need to remove is the 4 nuts from the studs that come thru the transmission bellhousing. Then push the clutch pedal. This will help push the engine off the trans.  Wiggle the engine and it should come out. 

Above is how I’ve always done it. 
Adapter plate stays on the motor and only 4 nuts are removed on the studs that stay on the adapter. The separation is between the trans and the adapter plate. 
Photo is of a V8, but same VW concept with the adapter plate. 

F9EE465A-DE7A-4D50-A5F4-762A712654FA.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If everything is disconnected, keep working it.

Sometimes they can be a biatch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fog and Grease Monkey are correct. The adaptor plate stays on the motor as it can't be removed until the clutch and flywheel have been removed. The 4 nuts that are on the studs on the transmission side of the bell housing need to be removed. Then the motor will come out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Thanks all!!  First time attempting and had no idea adapter plate stays with the motor.  So yup the plate is still on trans and will attempt to remove later today. Should I bolt back the motor to plate before removing?? On my 091 I just looked at it and see 3 threads studs with nuts on each I dont see a 4th where the starter was.  The two bottom left and right have plate welded to frame which help support and mount transaxle to car. So do you know if the bolts going through transaxle is threaded through or can I just remove the nuts?

 

Edited by JBL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Moderator

You might want to add pictures. It will help and it will clear up any confusion.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JBL said:

Thanks all!!  First time attempting and had no idea adapter plate stays with the motor.  So yup the plate is still on trans and will attempt to remove later today. Should I bolt back the motor to plate before removing?? On my 091 I just looked at it and see 3 threads studs with nuts on each I dont see a 4th where the starter was.  The two bottom left and right have plate welded to frame which help support and mount transaxle to car. So do you know if the bolts going through transaxle is threaded through or can I just remove the nuts?

Should be able to remove the 4 nuts from the studs (one is holding the starter on as well) and sort out the adapter plate once you have the motor out.  I'm sure the alignment of that adapter plate to the motor is FUBAR right now anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Moderator
21 minutes ago, J Alper said:

i use a blow torch, it will get anything out, 

:classic_blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JBL said:

20220628_085316.jpg

20220628_085325.jpg

20220628_085335.jpg

20220628_085347.jpg

You need to remove the 4 nuts that go through the trans bellhousing.  The studs will stay attached to the adapter plate. The studs also go through some tabs in the frame. 
Once the nuts are off you can remove the motor. It appears that you have to remove the motor before the trans because of the frame tabs. 

Edited by FOG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys got it to separate just waiting for muscle to come and help balance it down to ground!  Love this Forum 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JBL said:

Thanks guys got it to separate just waiting for muscle to come and help balance it down to ground!  Love this Forum 

Dont worry this is pretty common, a lot of people try to remove the motor with the adapter still on the trans, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, J Alper said:

Dont worry this is pretty common, a lot of people try to remove the motor with the adapter still on the trans, 

I did… 🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little extra muscle is always helpful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

Shout Box

Shout Box

You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...

    Important Information

    Terms of Use Privacy Policy