SailAway

Glamis Vendors In Trouble

Some may already know that the "New And Improved Management Plan" and "New And Improved Business Plan (said with tongue in cheek, for sure), if implemented as is, will harm the vending community that has existed for many years along vendor row in Glamis.

There are several bothersome changes, and they all center around how their existence may or may not effect the private enterprises in the area.

Why is the BLM making it their business to cater to the desires of the private enterprises (Glamis Beach Store, Clean Genes, etc.)? That's a damn good question.

The BLM is the management agency for the dunes and as such should be concerned more with the desires of the duning community than any private business outside the dunes.

But I digress.

The major changes that will adversly effect the vendors are:

1. That they will be forced to physically remove their businesses at least one day a week, maybe more. That means that on the one hand the BLM is pushing for dispersed use and is supposed to be promoting our use during less busy times (such as weekdays versus weekends) but on the other hand they are terminating vending on vendor row during the week. Makes a lot of sense.

To the vending community this is overly burdensome and far too costly to enable the level of services to which we have become accustomed. To the duning community this means that we will be forced to patronize the Glamis Beach Store (which sets its own irratic hours, remember) or travel to the vending pad on Gecko Road. That's a long way to go for a buggy part or a safety whip.

2. The dunes manager will review the proposed inventory of the vendors and will prohibit their sale of items that overlap with the local private businesses. That means the price of everything just skyrocketed, because if you want a t-shirt you'll be forced to the Glamis Beach Store, for example. Let your imagination take you everywhere else.

To the vending community this interferes with free trade and their right to choose their own inventory and to the duning community this limits our choices of where we can purchase the items we desire.

Now... appointments with lawyers are coming up to discuss litigation against either or both the BLM and the Glamis Beach Store. I may have the word wrong, but I think what the attorney I spoke to today said was it sounded like collusion at least. I guess we'll see.

What can we do? Well, if this bothers you, state it and help support the vendors in this fight. Heck, if this bothers you, let's decide if we want to stand up against this extortion as duners in the community.

Want to learn more? There is a vendor coalition meeting coming up this Tuesday evening at 7:30 in Temecula. The details of the RAMP and Business Plan will be discussed and a plan of action will be formulated. Glamis vendors and potential vendors are absolutely welcome (strongly urged) to attend but so is the duning community.

This does not just harm the vendors.

This harms the duning community.

Try to find what you need after 3:00 on a Tuesday when the GBS has decided they want to go home for the day. And if they are open, imagine what you'll be paying.

All because the BLM, a government agency, has decided to protect these private businesses and disregard the desires of the duning community (oh yes... about one percent of the vending comments supported the private businesses and still the BLM lists toward protecting them instead of Glamis vendors).

How does that sound?

Oh, by the way... if you haven't considered the safety issues behind these detrimental changes, consider this... when you call 911 on an "off weekend" or weekday, or any other time that the dunes are not completely covered by BLM and/or ICSO staff, you will be referred to Gilmore's or KD Cycle because THEY are there to support you.

Just wanted to mention that.

Yes, this was windy but it's important.

And it's not too late to change this.

Please.

Vicki

That sucks..

I really dont get it.......WTF does the BLM care about vendors????? I just dont get it

Maybe, I should start a tent selling Milk Vetch burritos......Eff the BLM

That sucks..

964573[/snapback]

Yes it does.

Oh, I forgot to mention the arguments made by the BLM to support turning their backs on the duning community...

"The cost of LEO support for the vendors"

Response: The increased vending fees PAYS for that support.

"Increased trash"

Response: See above

"There is a BLM rule supporting their actions"

Response: Does not exist. There was one once in a manual... a BLM manual, not a law, regulation or professional code. And besides... this "rule" doesn't exist for any other BLM-managed recreation area.

When this first came out in the draft RAMP we started fighting it... all a person has to do is count the number of comments that were submitted regarding the vendors and then check the ratios to see that the BLM maintaining this stance is directly contradictory to the wishes of the duning community.

Vicki

I hope it isn't too late since our "leaders" agreed to the business plan.

It's definitely not too late... but the time to get something changed is absolutely growing shorter every day.

The RAMP and the Business Plan are supposed to be "living" documents that change as necessary.

The local BLM isn't listening... it's time to make others in power understand how necessary that change is.

Vicki

This is certainly a bad situation. Do we have any support at the congressional level? In other words, would a fax/letter campaign to any representative in particular help get this wrong righted?

I realize you (Vicki) do not represent the ASA, but does anyone know what their position is on this pending issue?

Vicki,

Can't make the meeting, but please let all of us know how we can help.

Jon

Please excuse me if I'm way off base here, but don't the permit fees, special use fees, and all the other fees already paid by the vendors more than adequately cover the costs mentioned by the BLM? How does "managing the vendors" have anything to do with managing the dunes?

I wish I could make the meeting, but it's more than an hour and a half from my house. Please keep us posted if you can.

Vicki, do you have an estimate of what the vendors pay for their space on public land?

I realize you (Vicki) do not represent the ASA, but does anyone know what their position is on this pending issue?

964819[/snapback]

You're right, I represent DUNERS, and our position has been clear from the beginning.

When the business plan first came out DUNERS helped the vendors get a Glamis Vendor Coalition started. We/they had a brief skirmish with the BLM that first year when they thought they would implement the changes desired by the "private business" but when the point was made and accepted that the changes could not be implemented until the RAMP and business plan were completely in place, the BLM backed off.

Had another little skirmish this year, but other than that the Vendor Coalition has been dormant due to lack of any particular need for action.

That time has passed. It's clear this RAMP will be implemented, at least in as many parts as are not tied up in court, by the next season. The vendors must plan now for that season.

My concern is not for their business... it is for what the changes in their businesses will do to the duning community.

Unnecessarily and with total disregard for the duning community, all because the BLM has decided to show more care and concern for private businesses that are not even operating on the land they manage.

Where does the ASA stand? I haven't a clue... would be an excellent question for ASA members to be asking the ASA leaders.

As I said, I know where DUNERS stands and has stood since this whole thing began.

Vicki

Please excuse me if I'm way off base here, but don't the permit fees, special use fees, and all the other fees already paid by the vendors more than adequately cover the costs mentioned by the BLM? How does "managing the vendors" have anything to do with managing the dunes?

I wish I could make the meeting, but it's more than an hour and a half from my house. Please keep us posted if you can.

964874[/snapback]

No, you're right on base with that... they do pay fees that fully support the BLM's role in their businesses. To insist that they reduce their vending days due to cost is patently ridiculous.

Vicki

Vicki, do you have an estimate of what the vendors pay for their space on public land?

964909[/snapback]

They pay A LOT but I do not have exact figures. I don't know how much they'd want disclosed here, publicly, but I'll see if I can get some figures without specific names attached.

Vicki

I think reasonably accurate figures for what the vendors pay for vending on public land is in order. Also, can you please tell us where in Temecula this meeting is to take place?

Thanks.

I think reasonably accurate figures for what the vendors pay for vending on public land is in order. Also, can you please tell us where in Temecula this meeting is to take place?

Thanks.

964960[/snapback]

As I said, I will try to get the figures. At the very least, I'm sure they'll be available Tuesday night at the meeting. In the meantime, it seems to me that what the vendors paid was also listed in a handout at one time or another, from the BLM or at a TRT meeting or something like that... the recollection is there but not solid. If anyone else can recall, please let me know.

The place of the meeting is Mexico Chiquitos, at 41841 Moreno Rd, Temecula.

It would be nice to get an idea of who plans to go so we can move to a larger locale if needed.

Vicki

The place of the meeting is Mexico Chiquitos, at 41841 Moreno Rd, Temecula.

Thanks!! icon_wink.gif

it seems to me that what the vendors paid was also listed in a handout at one time or another, from the BLM or at a TRT meeting or something like that

Will do some checking and see what I can find out.

It would be nice to get an idea of who plans to go so we can move to a larger locale if needed.

Will see who I can rustle up to attend.

Edited by L&L Corvairs

bandit.gif

Gee, is that not cutting off their nose to spite their face ????????

I know we , our group, suppourt the venders and our wifes enjoy shopping at the venders row , every trip.

The prices are to high and bad attitude at the store. We would just do without.

The prices are to high and bad attitude at the store. We would just do without.

We'll just go to brawley, or el centro...of heck..HOME before we'll spend any money at that "store". Driving out the vendors isn't going to make them a whole lot of friends.

Perhaps if this goes through, we should start a good old fashioned "informational picket" effort out in front of the store. Maybe if enough of their business was scared away they would rethink their shortsighted position?

Thanks Vicki for DUNERS taking the lead on this vendor issue. icon_smile.gif

I found this from the ASA site regarding the RAMP issues:

http://www.americansandassociation.org/doc...HVCoalition.pdf

Some of the major concerns discussed at this meeting were: riding by

permit, curfews, alcohol bans, visitor capacity limits, vendor limitations and an environmental test required for ONLY OHV

users (other legitimate users of this area will not be under the same constraints). American Sand Association President Jerry

Seaver stated, “The truth is this plan places unwarranted restrictions on the legitimate OHV recreation use in the dunes.”

I don't recall an ASA official stance on the vendor issues other than from a comment form.

DEIS REFERENCE: Chapter & Page 2-6      Table 2-1         

VENDOR SERVICES are limited to weekends in Table 2-1. This presents an unacceptable public safety concern. On numerous occasions the weekday vendors are the only contact with emergency services. The supplies they provide are essential to a successful recreation experience. We want to be able to visit the vendors on weekdays.

http://www.americansandassociation.org/doc..._Info_Meetings/

(file: RAMP INFO MEETING HANDOUT.doc)

I do recall your meetings with the vendors at the time and hope you can get the Glamis Vendor Coalition back in action. Our club made comments to the RAMP regarding the BS vendor issues they proposed too.

I'm sure the ASA had a response, somewhere in the pages sent.

The ASA, along with SDORC, AMA, CAL4Wheel, CORVA and ORBA submitted nearly 100 pages of formal comments

and additional scientific data to the BLM during the comment phase of the plan’s development. “Until we have a chance to

study the new plan in detail, we don’t know if our concerns were addressed.” says Vincent Brunasso, co-founder of the

ASA. “We created the ASA for a reason—to give a voice to the hundreds of thousands of people who visit this area every

year and to fight for our rights to access public land.” The BLM’s own statements indicate that over 90% of the visitors to

the ISDRA are there for motorized recreation.

http://www.americansandassociation.org/doc...-ISDRA_Plan.pdf

What can we do? Write letters?

Go to the ranger station when we need a spark plug? Then they say their not store and we say "good job on backing the Beach Store, I need this part now and they are closed?

Go to the store, scoop up a bunch of stuff, go to the counter then say nevermind?

What can we do right now? Exactly what we are doing. Start getting the word out that there are some duning community issues that have to be handled before the new season begins...

Oh yeah, and attend the meetings that come up about this. I'm sure (certain) that there will be legal action, but that is primarily in the hands of the vendor coalition.

Although the duning community supports the vendors' position, we do have our own interests that are being threatened by the BLM's stance.

And that is where we will really need to take action... in what form? That will be determined at a later time, I'm sure. When letters need written we'll write them. Calls, faxes, visits with our representatives, you bet.

Oh, and speaking of which... the visitors with our representatives has already begun icon_biggrin.gif

Vicki

Any comments from vendors you care to share?

Any comments from vendors you care to share?

965410[/snapback]

I'd love to... but most of them aren't "fit for print" as they say blink.gif

To the vendors who have supported the duning community in more ways than just offering supplies, like Mike Gilmore who not too long ago left his nice cozy motorhome to help a duner find another lost duner (responding to a knock on his door at 2:00 in the morning), this is more than frustrating.

Had that same duner knocked on the door of one of the private enterprises we all know what would have happened.

And if Mike had treated that duner they way the private enterprises have treated the duning community, it's more than a little likely that the lost duner would have died.

To many of the long term vendors this is more than a job, it's a lifestyle. "So what?" may be the response from some... Well, to me the point is "why the change?"

What this all comes down to is not whether they can make the changes, but whether they should make the changes. The only reason that is left after all the ridiculous reasons have been exhausted, is because the private enterprises demand it.

And those are the interests driving these changes.

Not our needs, not the vendors needs, and not the needs of the surrounding communities (United Desert Gateway fully supports the vendors' stance).

The only interests being protected here, against all logic and reason, are those of the private enterprises who have never gone above and beyond the call to help even one duner, let alone the number that have come to rely on the vendor services provided along vendor row.

It's simply not right, from all angles save one.

Makes you wonder how that one gained such high priority.

Vicki

All the vendors are squaters anyway eff em. P.S THE GBS blows too popcorn.gif

Here is the language in the Business Plan that empowers the BLM to eliminate everything from vendor inventory that is carried by the private businesses:

The area Manager, El Centro Resource Area, will make the determination as to which categories of goods or services are 'similar' to those at adjacent private businesses, following annual consultation with the operators of the businesses to determine services offered.  A list of categories of goods or services for which permits will not be issued within the three-mile zone will be developed at the beginning of each season.

As you can see, the vendors will not be allowed to carry anything the private businesses carry, even though those private businesses keep erratic hours and charge exorbitant prices, and do not support the duning community as well as the vendor row vendors have.

And the “three-mile zone” they refer to was referenced in the 1987 RAMP (but obviously never acted upon). As stated earlier, it is not a Business & Professions Code, a Regulation, or a Law. Just because it is written, does not make it so. No matter how many times I’ve written “I have six million dollars in the bank,” it’s still not there.

And how did they determine the three-mile zone?

Three miles is considered a reasonable definition of the ‘immediate travel area’ in the dunes.  This means that vendors will not be permitted to operate within three miles of private businesses at Glamis or Boardmanville if similar goods or services are available at those business.

Need water, a radiator hose, or a whip? Let’s see how far three miles really is when you’re walking in sand.

Vicki