SailAway

Glamis Vendors In Trouble

alxcook the meeting is at 8.

I'm sorry the meeting is at 7:30. Feel free to come a little earlier.

There were vendors in the dunes before any of the current business/land ownwers took ownership.

Are you sure about that?

I will share an experiece from last Thanksgiving. Went to the buggy parts vendor at the flats to purchase a new smoothie. The vendor told me that they could no longer sell STU tires because Clean Genes was the local dealer and if they did, they would loose their dealership with STU at their store front. WOW, so off to CG's to by that tire. Guess what, CG has no tires, great. Off to try SM's. They had one, and $105 later I'm on my way back to camp.

just my nickle's worth.

Positive about there being vendors before current owners to ownership.

There's more to story about STU. Then you were told.

Sorry guys, I was already to go, only to find out my wife had other plans for me chEFF.gif I had kid duty last night.

So how did it go, anything productive come of the meeting?

Me Too, got tied up on a job in LA. so how did it go

Lucky13...I am sure there are two sides to the STU & vendor issue. As I said, this was what I had experience when trying to purchase a new tire. I was just suprised that CG, who was suppose to be the local dealer for STU, had nothing in stock. Maybe the vendor had an axe to grind, don't really care, I needed a tire and neither of them had one.

As for the current owners vs the established business vs the vendors in the flats, I personally cannot recall there being the vendor presents in the flats back in the late 70's early 80's like there is today. However, I can recall Clean Genes, the GBS, Dirty Bob's(?), and BMV. Whether they are the same owners now as they were then, well, I know the personnel at GBS sure seem to be the same today as they were way back when. Not sure about the rest of them.

Don't get me wrong here, I have fully supported the vendors in the past and will continue to as long as they are there. They provide an excellent service for those of us in need. As far as the GBS, won't step foot into that establishment. I would die of thirst before that will ever happen.

So how did it go, anything productive come of the meeting?

972523[/snapback]

Absolutely. A loose strategy was formed, but more importantly, competing businesses put aside their differences and formed a united front.

Vicki

A loose strategy was formed, but more importantly, competing businesses put aside their differences and formed a united front.

Vicki

972672[/snapback]

So who is in charge with spearheading with the BLM, what avenue is going to be perused, and how can we (Dune user) help the venders in their endeavor.

Is there going to be a campaign of rejecting any compromise that deviates from the present, or will there be some brain storming on forming a compromising stance that addresses the complaints from the locals?

I just don’t see that the BLM can just thumb there noses at the locals, and not try to reach a compromise acceptable to both sides of the issue.

And for the record I fully support the venders staying open all seven days a week and not having to tear down, just hope the issue doesn’t get out of hand.

Also, a note to you venders, I have, and will continue to purchase my supplies from you guys out there as long as the pricing stays competitive as in town. I like stocking up out there, save me a trip to the local store.

I'm sure you can understand that since it has barely been over 12 hours since the meeting broke up, no plan has been formalized enough to be printed here icon_biggrin.gif

As for compromising... offers have been made, with promises by the BLM to respond within a week... it's been three times that with no response yet. Will there be more compromises offered? *shrug*

Hard to say at this point in time.

Vicki

I have not had time to read this yet so i am going to go ahead and post what I am going to guess is the casue for the topic....

post-3939-1115245817.jpg

post-3939-1115245850.jpg

Dick Holliday and I attended the meeting. It was very enlightening. We were impressed with the the vendors work on the issue to date. EIS/DRAMP comments formal protest etc. Particularly. Gilmore and KD cycle.

That being said I understand the urgency of there position.

I now have more knowledge of there plight and there are some valid points made that I had not previously considered.

I was encouraged that they have made a reasonable proposal to the BLM which further strengthens there position.

I would like to see some dialogue with the Private Property owners to see if they can be persuded to come to a reasonable position. Perhaps by a third party?

I am also optimistic the Bureau can be persuaded to come to a reasonable position.

On behalf of the ASA I want to express my gratitude to the vendors for allowing us to attend. I hope our presence and suggestions helped.

Without question for many reasons there should be a presence of the permanant vendors on the flats .

I know that my brain is fried from last night, as I am sure are some of the

other vendors. But I would like to thank Vicki Warren for her help and

support as well as your presence Grant and Dick. You have added validity

to our cause and it is nice to know that the users on this board are in support

of us also. A new term has been coined that I like to call us "Seasonal Retailers"

as we are legitimate businesses who must comply with state regulations, pay

taxes, and jump through many hoops for us to conduct business in Glamis.

Thanks everyone, we will be calling on you for help in the near future. Notworthy.gif

It was an interesting and enlightening meeting.

IMHO, there appears to be a real danger in loosing the vendors as we know them today. Already they may not be able to sell during the week, which leaves us only GBS and Clean Genes. If you use any of the other vendors, it is time to get involved.

From what I understand, the vendors are obtaining permits under 43 CFR Section 2930, which is PERMITS FOR RECREATION ON PUBLIC LANDS. They, perhaps as a group may want to pursue a lease under section PART 2920 LEASES, PERMITS AND EASEMENTS, for more info on this section see: http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/document...3/part2920.html

This may make it easier to plan and may take some of the "local" pressure off.

-tron.

Vicki,

If you could provide me with where to look for some of the material used at the meeting I would appreciate it.

Especialy the sections regarding preserving private property rights, and any documentation of the policies or rules regarding permits.

I want to review them from the lowest level (the permit) up to the enabling act (congress passes a law that creates codes) to look for conflicts.

That will, I hope, also provide me with where to look to see who has legislative (political) control over it. There is usualy someone on a committee...

Another idea to thow up on the wall is, can the vendors simply lease land from one of the private owners? The would eliminate a few things.... I don't have access to plat maps and title information for Imperial County, but maybe someone on this Board does. One could check to see who owns the land around the beach store, who knows, maybe some land owner had a beef with the owner of GBS...

Boadmanville? If the vendor's located there, you think the bar business *might* go up? Hmm, acces to water and electricity...

Just ideas...

Sounds like maybe a picket in front of GBS Halloween weekend might be in order ??

Another idea to thow up on the wall is, can the vendors simply lease land from one of the private owners? 

974130[/snapback]

Dr. Lugo rented space from the owners of dirty Bob's last year but found that the traffic was not enough to sustain the volume of business he enjoyed at his current location. He was forced into this move when the blm made a similar attempt to run out the vendors last year, which subsequently failed due to the ramp not being in effect at that time I believe. If all of the vendors moved to that location however the story may be different as there would be more customers traffic.

One could check to see who owns the land around the beach store,

974130[/snapback]

The area of land owned by the GBS is fairly extensive , to include I believe the Drags behind, and the land that Clean Genes sits on. From what I was told Clean Genes lease's the land from the GBS

Boadmanville?  If the vendor's located there, you think the bar business *might* go up?  Hmm, acces to water and electricity...

974130[/snapback]

I do not think that there is water at BMV, I believe they truck it in.

Another idea to throw up on the wall is, can the vendors simply lease land from one of the private owners? 

974130[/snapback]

That would allow for some long term planning on the venders with a stable site. But then you would have county lic. , building, and zoning issues as they (venders) would become "Locals Enterprises”. and BLM could permit other "Seasonal Retailers" on the pads.

Vicki,

If you could provide me with where to look for some of the material used at the meeting I would appreciate it.

974130[/snapback]

I'll try to get some links posted later today... paying gig is interfering with my "real" work again bandit.gif

Vicki

What a tangle of regulations.

Here may be something of help: http://www.sba.gov/advo/factsabouteo_02.pdf

Apparently all federal agencies are required to take into account effects on small businesses when they make changes, pursuant to Executive Order 13272, for more info go to: http://www.sba.gov/advo/laws/law_lib.html you will need to scroll down a page or so until you find 13272.

At least something to ask the BLM if they complied with...

It also seems that the SBA will help fight for the small businesses,

"The Small Business Administration established the Small Business

and Agricultural Regulatory Enforcement Ombudsman and ten Regional

Fairness Boards to receive comments from small businesses about Federal

agency enforcement actions. The Ombudsman annually evaluates these

enforcement activities and rates each agency's responsiveness to small

business."

So maybe the vendors could call the SBA Ombudsman, wherever they may be, perhaps another arrow...

Still digging....

Good info ! Thanks Tron

Could be a two sided blade,

Still waiting to hear what the united stance is from the venders is

Hi All,

I'm finally going to join in here, looks like an actual vendor or two needs to defend us at times as well as thank those who support us. It would be real nice if the vendors showed some participation here. From the looks of it there aren't many of us concerned, but in actuality, there are many. Problem being there are more willing to sit back and accept the work of the few, Gilmore and KD Cycle, in their efforts to gain the use of our rights. I have read thru here, and granted, some posts are less than appealing to me. I do have to say here, that we are businesses first, we are not carnival acts doing a show. These issues that confront us threaten our businesses that are our livelyhood, they support our families and households. The vendors are not a holiday decoration on the dunes, we provide a service, that proven by the amount of people who frequent us, is desired and supported by the dune public. I, personally, cannot thank Gilmore and KD Cycle enough for their efforts. After listening to Gilmore speak at the meeting, I cannot imagine anyone more involved or educated in the issues before us, I was humbled by his knowledge. That's not B-S either, a fact. I feel very fortuante that we have people like him and with the help of wonderful people like Vicki Warren, I know we will give this issue the best shot we can, but trust this, like I said, we are businesses first, and for me, I have no intention of going out of business over this, we all will prevail over this, one way or another!

Sounds like maybe a picket in front of GBS Halloween weekend might be in order ??

974138[/snapback]

Interesting...or if you want, you can just head upstairs to the bar with me and my uncle. icon_biggrin.gif

Just getting up to speed on this.. count me in.

Been dealing with Dumont, Glamis, Utah.. Idaho..all within the last season and the permit process, guidelines, fees. So am pretty caught up on the process as it stands.

Vendors fees vary where you go. Also county fees and license fees vary.

Vendors do need to have liability insurance BEFORE you even are considered for a permit. Costly.. depending on what your business is.

License fees in counties that want you to have a peddlers permits..prior once again BEFORE a Blm permit. Then depending on if the Blm wants a flat rate on the sales you make, you pay that price. Some Blm agencies want a 3% of sales fee.. post report and fee. Depends where you are to vend. Then if you have more vehicles than permitted you pay extra for them.

Getting your paperwork can take a week to a MONTH ahead of time.

Depends. So one must have patience with the systems.

Also.. sometimes it's a phone tag game. Patience, again.

Giving money figures for the general public I think should be private for each vendor or company. Some things don't need to be out there.

So really don't want to disclose them.

But it is enough.. trust me.

Of course, I am very much interested in being a voice.

Thanks all who have our backs and take steps for us when we can't.

I got yours as well.

Cat~

S/U Cru

Edited by Glam_mom